Why become a member? ×

What is happening with Fenders prices?

markdavid

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='344742' date='Dec 3 2008, 08:49 PM']So is the new "vintage style" bridge going to be the high mass one that even the Squiers get now, or the same old cheap piece of tin?[/quote]
They seem to specifically denote the new high mass bridge as such – so I guess it's the same as the old one... unfortunately.

The dollar/sterling xc rate has gone from 2.00 to 1.50 in a couple of months so, all else equal, US-sourced instrument prices (be they Fenders, Laklands whatever) will be rising by a third :)

Edit: the Euro/sterling has alse gone the wrong way (nothing like as much, more like 7-8% in recent months so don't be surprised if there are price rises on Euro-sourced stuff, like Markbass gear etc)

Time for the "support Shuker" thread again!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='344742' date='Dec 3 2008, 08:49 PM']So is the new "vintage style" bridge going to be the high mass one that even the Squiers get now, or the same old cheap piece of tin?[/quote]

Piece of cheap tin that worked for Jaco, Jamerson, Entwhistle, Redding and a few others :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='344798' date='Dec 3 2008, 09:31 PM']Piece of cheap tin that worked for Jaco, Jamerson, Entwhistle, Redding and a few others :)[/quote]
true, but they were all geniuses that could probably have played a £50 piece-of-cr@p bass off eBay and sounded fantastic

[quote name='~tl' post='344776' date='Dec 3 2008, 09:14 PM']They seem to specifically denote the new high mass bridge as such – so I guess it's the same as the old one... unfortunately.[/quote]

I've checked out one of these and they are a vast improvement on the old "bent piece of tin" They are comparable to what is fitted on the Jap Aerodynes. Still not enough to make me ditch the Laklands though!

[quote name='Beedster' post='344798' date='Dec 3 2008, 09:31 PM']Piece of cheap tin that worked for Jaco, Jamerson, Entwhistle, Redding and a few others :)[/quote]
I remember reading somewhere that Jaco put C-clamps on the headstock to get more sustain. I think these guys worked with what was available at the time. The favourite mod for a Fender has been a Badass for decades (even the GL and MM sigs have them), precisely because the tin bridge lacks sustain and punch for us ordinary mortals :huh:

[quote name='XB26354' post='344922' date='Dec 3 2008, 11:13 PM'], precisely because the tin bridge lacks sustain and punch for us ordinary mortals :)[/quote]

If only it were that straightforward...i have a P that i tried a Badass on and compared to the Fender bridge it sounded sh*te. I do have Badass bridges on my Jazz basses though...but i'm gonna try one of them out with the Fender bridge to see how it compares. If a bass already has good sustain...and lets face it sustain is only one part of the equation...putting Badass on it may change it for the worse, ie too much sustain.

[quote name='Clarky' post='344785' date='Dec 3 2008, 09:20 PM']The dollar/sterling xc rate has gone from 2.00 to 1.50 in a couple of months so, all else equal, US-sourced instrument prices (be they Fenders, Laklands whatever) will be rising by a third :)

Edit: the Euro/sterling has alse gone the wrong way (nothing like as much, more like 7-8% in recent months so don't be surprised if there are price rises on Euro-sourced stuff, like Markbass gear etc)

Time for the "support Shuker" thread again![/quote]

Yep as above,

Buy british

[quote name='thebeat' post='344929' date='Dec 3 2008, 11:18 PM']If only it were that straightforward...i have a P that i tried a Badass on and compared to the Fender bridge it sounded sh*te. I do have Badass bridges on my Jazz basses though...but i'm gonna try one of them out with the Fender bridge to see how it compares. If a bass already has good sustain...and lets face it sustain is only one part of the equation...putting Badass on it may change it for the worse, ie too much sustain.[/quote]

+1
Let's be sensible, the old bent piece of tin design was perfectly acceptable for a few decades. Would you take it off a '62 Jazz?
If you want improved engineering etc buy something else - probably won't sound like a Fender tho.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='martthebass' post='345842' date='Dec 4 2008, 08:33 PM']+1
Let's be sensible, the old bent piece of tin design was perfectly acceptable for a few decades. Would you take it off a '62 Jazz?
If you want improved engineering etc buy something else - probably won't sound like a Fender tho.[/quote]

Never mind the debate about badass versus standard lads and lassies! In my local dealer, Merchant city music, the price of a h1 p bass has gone from 499 to 599! Likewise, a standard p has gone from 339 to 499! And their prices are usually the best in Glasgow. Thre is no excuse for these kind of prices!
Thank god I have bought enough gear the noo and at these sort of prices Mr Fender can stick them where the sun dont shine. Time to invest in another ibanez methinks!

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='345050' date='Dec 4 2008, 07:46 AM']it's the name... people put Badass bridges on because they want a Badass bridge on it... they kid themselves that the sound is better, but it's purely the fact that it says Badass on it...[/quote]

MB1. :)
"What your trying to say is? the bridge is as badass the one youve just took off?....Sorry!..I'll get me Coat!".

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='347363' date='Dec 6 2008, 05:25 PM']Never mind the debate about badass versus standard lads and lassies! In my local dealer, Merchant city music, the price of a h1 p bass has gone from 499 to 599! Likewise, a standard p has gone from 339 to 499! And their prices are usually the best in Glasgow. Thre is no excuse for these kind of prices!
Thank god I have bought enough gear the noo and at these sort of prices Mr Fender can stick them where the sun dont shine. Time to invest in another ibanez methinks![/quote]

Funny you should say that , Ive been wanting to get a mim fender jazz for ages and have always liked fenders but just recently with the price increases the mim jazz bass seems a little overpriced (considering most people will want to upgrade the pickups) and ive found myself looking more at the ibanez basses which by contrast seem to be very good value for money

Edited by markdavid