Why become a member? ×

The lure of another jazz bass!

GazWills

I want another jazz bass. Even though I know I won't keep it for more than 6 months before selling it!

It'll be the 4th or 5th I've bought. Every time I sell one, I tell myself "you don't like jazz basses. Stick to precisions and stingrays. Don't buy another jazz bass!"

And here we are again. It seems to come around every 2 years or so. I've caught myself looking at for sale threads... another stupid jazz bass purchase is looming!

Any other P bass players out there get sucked into Jazz bass lust periodically??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GazWills said:

I want another jazz bass. Even though I know I won't keep it for more than 6 months before selling it!

It'll be the 4th or 5th I've bought. Every time I sell one, I tell myself "you don't like jazz basses. Stick to precisions and stingrays. Don't buy another jazz bass!"

And here we are again. It seems to come around every 2 years or so. I've caught myself looking at for sale threads... another stupid jazz bass purchase is looming!

Any other P bass players out there get sucked into Jazz bass lust periodically??

Have you asked yourself after the 5th time what might not be working for you Jazz Bass wise. Or what is it that sucking you in.? 

I get stuck into a mindset occasionally that I should like most basses and pickup configurations. I have owned about 5 p basses now and I just can’t gget on with them. I just can’t find a position where my hand is comfortable.

It’s the same with jazz basses, I have owned a few but I just can’t get on with the nudge width. I got round this by playing 5 strings for a long time but I’m back on 4 string most of the time and have settled on a Stingray which gives me what I lack in a P and J.

Am I content? No, I have it in my head I need a custom Jazz with a bigger nut, a PJ precision and I still have undwindling GAS for a Pino signature knowing full well I can’t get on with P basses. I think my heart says the Pino will cure my P bass issues....deluded 😂

2 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Have you asked yourself after the 5th time what might not be working for you Jazz Bass wise. Or what is it that sucking you in.? 

It's the fact the jazz has a distinctive sound, which I really like when I hear others playing it... I've got a P and a stingray, and it's a nice contrast to those...

I think in the past I've sold them as I don't use them in my bands, they dot have the low end / thump of my P. But I'm now looking to buy a jazz with a view to just having something different at home to play with , and another option in the studio...

(but you wait for the inevitable for sale thread in 6 months time!)

Edited by GazWills
  • Haha 1

Ive never owned a P Bass. Played a 82 JV Squire once. was nice. But I just can't bring myself to buy a bass that only really has one tone. Im sure it works well in a band situation. Like Cuzzie said I can get close to a P Bass with a Jazz. But you can't get anywhere near a Jazz Bass tone with a P Bass. The Sei i play now can get both with the East Pre. Was the same with the SR5 H I owned. Amazing tone, but not very versatile.

23 hours ago, GazWills said:

Yes, it happens to me every couple of years too. I love the look of Jazz basses, think they`re extra cool looking,  and I love the sound of them - when someone else is playing them that is. When I get one I just try and make it sound like a Precision, which I know is pointless, but that`s the sound I like to hear when i play bass. As such I`m trying to never buy one again but it`s a battle I know I`ll lose at some point.

• Like 1

I was a Jazz guy for many years until I tried a Precision and it suddenly made sense. I like changing things up once in a while, I definitely play differently with different pickup configs. I’m really lucky to have some incredible Ps and a couple incredible Js. I think a PJ may be in my future...