Why become a member? ×

Whats happened to Jeff? Hope he's ok

KingPrawn

I saw some racist stuff that he posted on Facebook a few years ago. He didn't realise what he'd said, even when people pointed it out to him. Maybe he's been at it again?

One of my tutors at uni was really into him, consequently we had to learn loads of things of his. To me he epitomises everything that's wrong with 'fusion', i.e. why play 4 notes when I can play 16.

7 hours ago, fleabag said:

Good to see Jeff pairing the tried and tested jeans & Hi-Tec combination with a rather unorthodox (some might say daring) vest and blazer counterpoint there, I like it when musicians push the boundaries and really stretch themselves.

Edited by lemmywinks
Corrected "testes" to "tested", although I'm not so sure it was incorrect....
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

He also endorsed Badass bass bridges for ages and Bart' pick-ups. And as I recall, a rather spiffing Peavey called a Palladium after his Fender precision mod with a graphite neck & a bart got stolen...

2 hours ago, ambient said:

I saw some racist stuff that he posted on Facebook a few years ago. He didn't realise what he'd said, even when people pointed it out to him. Maybe he's been at it again?

One of my tutors at uni was really into him, consequently we had to learn loads of things of his. To me he epitomises everything that's wrong with 'fusion', i.e. why play 4 notes when I can play 16.

Oh wow... don't remember that. Never heard him be racist. He's complained of discrimination for being jewish, not being a scientologist (Chick) or not into Sri Chimnoy (John McLaughlin) but I don't recall him being racist. Can you evidence this claim?

Everyone, I know that Klaus Doldinger clip is bad. The 'tache and when he 'summons' the cow-bell at 0:58s is just unspeakable but...

in his defence... his chordal parts on Maestro Holdworth's tune here are beautiful...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, visog said:

Oh wow... don't remember that. Never heard him be racist. He's complained of discrimination for being jewish, not being a scientologist (Chick) or not into Sri Chimnoy (John McLaughlin) but I don't recall him being racist. Can you evidence this claim?

I think he said "Phil Lynott had a white man's moustache" or something..............

Just now, lemmywinks said:

I think he said "Phil Lynott had a white man's moustache" or something..............

Erm... is that racist? Hmm, through the prism of 2018 it probably is, judging white and black aesthetics. I'd say it's Phil L had more of a latino 'tache going on but that is probably racist somewhere. Anywho, JB has played with plenty of black musicians and speaks in awe of Herbie Hancock to name but one icon.

Surprised Phil Lynott was on his radar actually. Pointless answer here for future reference: black Irish bass players... He was great - such a beautiful tune...

3 minutes ago, visog said:

Erm... is that racist? Hmm, through the prism of 2018 it probably is, judging white and black aesthetics. I'd say it's Phil L had more of a latino 'tache going on but that is probably racist somewhere. Anywho, JB has played with plenty of black musicians and speaks in awe of Herbie Hancock to name but one icon.

Surprised Phil Lynott was on his radar actually. Pointless answer here for future reference: black Irish bass players... He was great - such a beautiful tune...

I was just joking pal, I'm sure Jeff has a lot of respect for Phil's 'tache.

Whatever the context it’s a poor choice of words.(edit: seriously you made that up? That’s rather daft)

I’ve listened to his solo work and it veers from elevator-style noodling to some really tasteful tunes. He can definitely play.

His approach to teaching, while idiosyncratic, is top notch and I doubt there’s a bass player-in learning who can’t benefit from watching a few of his instructional vids.

Edited by Daz39

49 minutes ago, visog said:

He also endorsed Badass bass bridges for ages and Bart' pick-ups. And as I recall, a rather spiffing Peavey called a Palladium after his Fender precision mod with a graphite neck & a bart got stolen...

The Fender Precision had a Jazz bass neck that had been shaved by Michael Tobias. It had two Bartolini pickups which were custom wound to Jeff's specification by Bill Bartolini. It ended up with just the bridge pickup connected (I may be wrong, but I think the neck pickup may have 'went static'). Interestinigly, that was the end of the road for those pickups until recently, when Bill Bartolini found the original diagrams for those pickups. The pickup was resurrected, appearing in the Cort Rithimic. It's actually a splitcoil inside a soapbar case. I know that bass was eventually stolen, probably some time around 1990. Jeff had used it in 1988 in the Kazumi Watanabe recordings and live with John McLaughlin on their tour of England. By 1992 (I think) he was playing a first generation Peavey Palaedium. I plan on getting a replica of this bass commissioned. I'm not sure how I'll go about it, but it'll probably involve a Warmoth alder Precision body, a Fender Jazz neck, some Bartolini 'classic' range pickups, a Badass II and a few other finishing touches, put together by a good luthier in the UK. 

As for Jeff himself, I consider him a friend and a good guy who always wants to lift people up. On the internet, he has perhaps come across as a bit stand-offish in the past but he will speak to anyone to put his point across because he genuinely wants to raise the level of bass education and the skills of bass players in general. The situation is not helped by some frightfully rude sorts on the 'net who insult and troll him for sport. I know not everyone is interested in jazz, fusion or classical teaching methodology, though I'm never surprised to see folk lining up to have a go at him. In conversation with Jeff, I've always found him to be a warm, funny and caring bloke. It astounds me that the (IMO) greatest bassist of our generation, and the most fluent improviser on our instrument, would have any interest in how my playing is and would want to offer me advice on how to get better. For that reason alone, I'll always have a tremendous amount of respect for Jeff. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

The Fender Precision had a Jazz bass neck that had been shaved by Michael Tobias. It had two Bartolini pickups which were custom wound to Jeff's specification by Bill Bartolini. It ended up with just the bridge pickup connected (I may be wrong, but I think the neck pickup may have 'went static'). Interestinigly, that was the end of the road for those pickups until recently, when Bill Bartolini found the original diagrams for those pickups. The pickup was resurrected, appearing in the Cort Rithimic. It's actually a splitcoil inside a soapbar case. I know that bass was eventually stolen, probably some time around 1990. Jeff had used it in 1988 in the Kazumi Watanabe recordings and live with John McLaughlin on their tour of England. By 1992 (I think) he was playing a first generation Peavey Palaedium. I plan on getting a replica of this bass commissioned. I'm not sure how I'll go about it, but it'll probably involve a Warmoth alder Precision body, a Fender Jazz neck, some Bartolini 'classic' range pickups, a Badass II and a few other finishing touches, put together by a good luthier in the UK. 

As for Jeff himself, I consider him a friend and a good guy who always wants to lift people up. On the internet, he has perhaps come across as a bit stand-offish in the past but he will speak to anyone to put his point across because he genuinely wants to raise the level of bass education and the skills of bass players in general. The situation is not helped by some frightfully rude sorts on the 'net who insult and troll him for sport. I know not everyone is interested in jazz, fusion or classical teaching methodology, though I'm never surprised to see folk lining up to have a go at him. In conversation with Jeff, I've always found him to be a warm, funny and caring bloke. It astounds me that the (IMO) greatest bassist of our generation, and the most fluent improviser on our instrument, would have any interest in how my playing is and would want to offer me advice on how to get better. For that reason alone, I'll always have a tremendous amount of respect for Jeff. 

I have to disagree with the greatest bassist of our generation bit; you actually sound like my tutor from uni 😁.

I saw Jeff jamming at a guitar show with Laurence Cottle. Laurence’s playing was beautiful, melodic, well phrased and tasteful. Jeff on the other hand was like a robot, totally lacking in emotion and everything that made Laurence’s playing so beautiful.

I know that everyone has their own favourite players, but I can honestly think of a lot of better ones; Jonas Hellborg, Michael Manring, Anthony Jackson, Matthew Garrison just off the top of my head.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Indeed. Very American - massive self justification, anything rather than simply admit one is wrong or has made a mistake. I played in a band with s similar fellow from across the pond once. He was a nightmare; he actually told me on one occasion "I NEVER make mistakes". Needless to say, I didn't hang around for long. His wife, who was/is a good musician (she played keys and sang), used to carry him - nodding cues at him, counting him in for breaks, etc, etc. Sometimes, he didn't even tune his guitar before we started playing. If you reminded him, he'd act all insulted.

So.....a post on Jeff Berlin turns into a slag on Americans?  Shame on you!  After my grand-dad said such nice things about your grand-mum in 1944.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8