Why become a member? ×

By all accounts according to this I am a genius.....

Cuzzie

"I think the main objective is to move people, make people think in their heart. I personally am not interested in appealing to other musicians. To me, it's more inspiring to move someone who doesn't know anything about music, but has a feel. They can say, 'I don't know what you're doing, but I just feel that's something there.' That to me is an incredible compliment, as opposed to, 'Well, you've just run up and down the fingerboard. That's wonderful, very fast.' All that means is I've just practiced the hell out of the guitar and I'm not really saying anything. I'm going from A to B, but not seeing anything on the way."

Ritchie's right on this though. Especially applies to bass playing, methinks.

• Like 1

I think the Holy Grail for most musicians is to be able to play what you hear in your head. If you have a fertile imagination so much the better. Joe Satriani can probably do that and Blackmore probably can't. Also to put it into context, I've always thought of Ritchie Blackmore as an obnoxious knob.

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2018 at 10:06, Japhet said:

I think the Holy Grail for most musicians is to be able to play what you hear in your head. If you have a fertile imagination so much the better. Joe Satriani can probably do that and Blackmore probably can't. Also to put it into context, I've always thought of Ritchie Blackmore as an obnoxious knob.

Anyone who can write an album like Rainbow Rising can be as much of a Knob as they like...

I’ve scanned through the article which reads like someone who listened to a couple of Satriani YouTube videos before spouting some uninformed bile..

and then backtracked just a little..

• Like 1

I didn't even know who the hell this guy was until just now... After reading the article I can comfortably say he's a total douche. For the record, I've never been a fan of Satriani but I'd put my neck on the line and say he plays with more "heart" that this piece of sh*t.

• Confused 1

"Joe Satriani is a brilliant player, but I never see him really searching for notes; I never hear him playing a wrong note. Jimi Hendrix used to play lots of wrong notes because he was searching all the time—'Where the hell is that correct note?!' And when he did find that right note—wow, that was incredible.

"If you're always playing the correct notes, there's something wrong—you're not searching, you're not reaching for anything. But that's not to say that he isn't a very brilliant player. Same thing with Steve Morse—fantastic player.

Nothing particularly controversial there. Complements Satriani and Morse (and Hendrix), expresses preference for intuitive approach to soloing:

"Certain people play from the heart and other people play from the head. I prefer a heart player".

This is all pretty basic stuff and I don't understand why people all over the web are getting upset about it; I suppose it's because they read the headline 'Blackmore disses Satriani' and feel obliged to pick a side.

For myself, neither Blackmore nor Satriani are in my personal Top 10; but then my personal Top 10 includes Hasil Adkins, Link Wray and Dave Davies so technique tends not to figure.

Edited by skankdelvar
Edit for speling naem wrng

I don't know... Maybe I'm just a bit of an derrière but I just found his use of hyperbole and subjective terms really frustrating... It's like listening to a postmodernist trying to critique a pragmatist. 

Saying that reading my last post back this morning I could be over reacting... Maybe I'm the douche! :laugh1:

I agree.  While Satch is technically unbelievable,  it leaves me cold as did the whole shredder genre.  I'll take heart over head any day.  Blackmore's just giving his opinion,  as I am.  Maybe some feel the oposite.  So be it.  Different strokes...

13 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

...my personal Top 10 includes Hasil Adkins, Link Wray and Dave Davies so technique tends not to figure.

You've gone up in my estimation, Skank.

Not that you were on my Shït List or anything... just sayin. :D

• Thanks 1