Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

I'm reading this topic carefully and I couldn't be more agree more with your opinions.

My favourite Sandberg configuration is the VM5. Is not a traditional P bass but if you want a Fender sound buy a Fender. For me Sandberg has a traditional sound but a little bit more agressive.

I love all Sandbergs I played but at the momento my favourite is my Enigma 5.

Why? because I think that it has a unique voice.

Because of the pick up position it has more punch but using the blend control you can control easily. 

There's only one thing that I don't like so much. In passive the treble knob it should be a passive tone but it doesn't work very well, I can't appreciate a lot of change on the sound, is very very subtle.

Lately I'm playing a repertoire close to soul and Latin jazz and that bass works perfect in the mix.

• Like 3

For all the chat about the MM pup it’s important to realise it will not sound anything like a Ray when solo’d because it’s not designed to.

It’s not in the Ray position nor is it voiced or does it have the Ray Pre-amp.

Its main purpose is to be n adjunct to the P pick up and allow you to cut through and provide clarity.

That’s what it is designed for

• Like 5

On 17/01/2023 at 23:27, Cuzzie said:

For all the chat about the MM pup it’s important to realise it will not sound anything like a Ray when solo’d because it’s not designed to.

It’s not in the Ray position nor is it voiced or does it have the Ray Pre-amp.

Its main purpose is to be n adjunct to the P pick up and allow you to cut through and provide clarity.

That’s what it is designed for

Thanks for clarifying, good to know.  That’s sort of how I use it.  Dial the MM-PUP on full, and slowly turn towards the P-PUP until I get a sweet spot.  Really depends on the room.  I had sort of figured the P-PUP is nothing like a P-bass, and the MM-PUP is nothing like a Ray, but the VM4/5s have their own sound with added flexibility.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wintoid said:

So if you had to compare the VS pickup against a P, how different is it?

I dont have a VS but if i select just the P pick up on my VM4 it doesn't have the same warm depth that i get from my P basses even boosting the bass EQ on the bass its a nice deep tone but again i find my P bass has a bit more warmth. That's maybe because one bass is passive and the other active so its not a like for like scenario.

Curious to hear what passive VS4 owners come bacck with. I'd really like a passive California VS4 for the build quality but i'd like that vintage warmth of a Fender P bass. Could always change the pick up over to be honest.

Dave

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I dont have a VS but if i select just the P pick up on my VM4 it doesn't have the same warm depth that i get from my P basses even boosting the bass EQ on the bass its a nice deep tone but again i find my P bass has a bit more warmth. That's maybe because one bass is passive and the other active so its not a like for like scenario.

Curious to hear what passive VS4 owners come bacck with. I'd really like a passive California VS4 for the build quality but i'd like that vintage warmth of a Fender P bass. Could always change the pick up over to be honest.

Dave

What happens when you put the VM4 into passive mode?  I'm assuming this is always possible with a Sandberg, but don't know what I'm talking about (as usual).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wintoid said:

What happens when you put the VM4 into passive mode?  I'm assuming this is always possible with a Sandberg, but don't know what I'm talking about (as usual).

I tried it but i've always found active basses in "passive" mode never really sound like a proper passive bass.

Just my own opinion of course and i'm sure others will disagree but that's what makes life interesting. No right or wrong, just differing opinions.

Dave

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wintoid said:

It still isn’t going to sound exactly like a P bass because the P pickup is reversed and Sandberg use 500K pots rather than 250K like Fender.

I have a passive VS4 (pickup normal way round) and with flats on it sounds pretty close to a P to me, with a vintage sounding pickup and wiring I’d think it would be more or less identical. 

Edited by mattpbass
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, wintoid said:

So if you had to compare the VS pickup against a P, how different is it?

It has a wider frequency response and faster attack. 

The VS's (mostly) have the pickup in the conventional arrangement, the VM and VT (mostly) have the P pickup in the reverse configuration.

I couldn't get a traditional P tone out of my old VM4 even with a Fender pickup in it. I changed the Sandberg PU in my current VS4 for a more vintage sounding alnico one.

• Like 2

Had a passive VS4, lovely bass, wasn’t quite there for that ‘Fender’ sound, but then again if I had popped a pick up of choice, something like the 58p from Creamery, then it prolly would be.

Again it’s your preference of sound, but the framework you get it in is immense with a Sandy 

• Like 3

Almost a week with my VM5 now. I can’t get over the quality of this instrument. The balance of the bass is incredible and at 3.6kg, really light for a 5 string. The sounds that it gives is lovely, a nice growl but in with perfect control. I am now definitely a Sandberg convert. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Folkesy said:

Interested to know what people think would be a good amp pairing for a Sandberg vm5. Currently using a rumble 40, which sounds good but I think I’ll upgrade as some point. I’m keen to know what people would recommend as a great pairing? 

I don't think amps really pair with basses beyond whether you want vintage voicing vs modern. I completely get that you may want to upgrade though - those Rumbles are great for practice but at some point you're probably going to want more. I'd probably look at used separates for the best VFM upgrade. A nice 1x12 and a head voiced to your preference would be a good start. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lw. said:

I don't think amps really pair with basses beyond whether you want vintage voicing vs modern. I completely get that you may want to upgrade though - those Rumbles are great for practice but at some point you're probably going to want more. I'd probably look at used separates for the best VFM upgrade. A nice 1x12 and a head voiced to your preference would be a good start. 

This makes lots of sense. I will take a look! Thanks 🙏 

Cut this during lockdown on my 2004 Sandberg Basic. The only real difference I can detect vs. the newer models, is the bridge.

Still sounds and feels superb, even after all these years.  It's extremely versatile and very well engineered. None of the component parts feel cheap, and it's lovely big slab of ash.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Like that. Any vid or audio  clips of it anywhere to see how it compares to the standard VS4.

Dave

It sound pretty much like a p bass with flats , when I had rounds on it it had a very aggressive attack tone , think Jeanne Jacques Brunel , sounded great . I found the stock pickups a bit sterile. 

Edited by Quilly
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Pete Bish said:

Cut this during lockdown on my 2004 Sandberg Basic. The only real difference I can detect vs. the newer models, is the bridge.

Still sounds and feels superb, even after all these years.  It's extremely versatile and very well engineered. None of the component parts feel cheap, and it's lovely big slab of ash.

I bought one of these basses last year (new) with the one MM humbucker from BTM guitars in Austria. A fantastic alrounder and built like a tank . I think I paid €1100 for it which was an absolute bargain. I’ve owned a MM stingray in the past and IMO this is a superior instrument.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dandelion said:

I prefer the mk1 California shape personally. 

I appreciate they were trying to move away from the “German fender copy” tag but I still prefer the body of the old ones , but the headstock of the gen 2 look much better. 

12 hours ago, Quilly said:

I appreciate they were trying to move away from the “German fender copy” tag but I still prefer the body of the old ones , but the headstock of the gen 2 look much better. 

They were forced into the change 2015 due to ‘pressure’ from Fender.

Fender realised they were making basses better than they do, and they contacted stores and retailers to say if they stocked Sandberg, Fender would no longer send their stock to that shop to sell. Being by far the most common sold bass they had to agree.

Sandberg to their credit just got on with it, changed the shape and voila - quality basses still being produced.

To look at on a stand I agree the old shape is probably better, but ergonomically the new shape slays and you get used to the look, it’s now just common place

• Like 3