Why become a member? ×

Practice amps that don't sound awful. Go.

Quilly

10 hours ago, rushscored4 said:

For £336 the new Fender Rumble Studio 40 will take some beating as a practice amp with its 100+ amp models, huge range of editable effects and Bluetooth / wifi connectivity to play along with your iPod or smart phone etc:

Fender Rumble Studio 40

I have its big brother the Stage 800 and it's absolutely brilliant.

It would need to be brilliant! £336 for a 40 watt amp?

I have a Line 6 LD15 under the desk in my office. I use the Aux in to hook it up to the laptop (with headphones if needed) and it works a treat. Can easily get a reasonable sound out of it to work stuff out or play along to a bit of Youtube.

Edited by Japhet

33 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

It would need to be brilliant! £336 for a 40 watt amp?

It does include wireless tech though.

14 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I know...

I paid about that for my Phil Jones Double Four though!

IMHO the PJB gear sounds miles better. The Fender Rumble tone embodies everything I try to avoid in an amp, but that's just me.

8 minutes ago, Grangur said:

I would put decent money on the Roland Cube 30 running rings round one of these at £75 used... I don't understand the need for the wireless bells and whistles, which can in no way justify that price.

Can't comment on PJB stuff other than the Bighead and the PJB headphones, which are both outstanding!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grangur said:

IMHO the PJB gear sounds miles better. The Fender Rumble tone embodies everything I try to avoid in an amp, but that's just me.

I had a second hand Rumble 100 (one with the inexplicable red light in the bottom vent) for less than two hours. Moved it on again rapidly. God awful sounding piece of horse poo which couldn't keep up at a small pub gig.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Grangur said:

The Studio 40 and Stage 800 have all the Rumble and Bassman tones as amp models which you can edit to your heart's content as well as all the ones below plus loads of effects etc. However I'm sure the PJB tone is lovely too!image.thumb.jpeg.3ca89e48511b7d867d420e22bc50c685.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d1494d6adf6add3baf7dd3a822b231ff.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6fd34029f2c8b376efb9e0da188e2bcf.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by rushscored4

I'd define a 'practice amp' as one you use to play alone when learning parts, so any small combo would do, the quality of the tone is irrelevant. I use a small Peavey combo, it's more than enough to play along with songs from my laptop played through a bluetooth speaker. 

I wouldn't choose to use it when playing with others, I'd take my small gig rig (Rootmaster 800 head & Super Compact cab) for that.

16 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I wouldn't choose to use it when playing with others, I'd take my small gig rig (Rootmaster 800 head & Super Compact cab) for that.

Off topic sorry but I noticed you bought your RM800 for a cracking price through here a couple of years ago. I'm looking for a cheap backup/alternative to my Rumble Stage 800 to run with my Big Baby 2 cab so I guess you're happy with the Ashdown and Barefaced pairing Dave?

12 minutes ago, rushscored4 said:

Off topic sorry but I noticed you bought your RM800 for a cracking price through here a couple of years ago. I'm looking for a cheap backup/alternative to my Rumble Stage 800 to run with my Big Baby 2 cab so I guess you're happy with the Ashdown and Barefaced pairing Dave?

Yes, very happy, though you're only seeing part of the picture. The RM 800 I bought here last year is my back-up amp, I also have an RM800 evo. I use the evo primarily, through either a BF Super Compact (1  x  12, 8 ohms) or for larger venues, a BF Super Twin (2 x 12, 4 ohms). Whichever I am using, I use a Sansamp Bass DI and go straight into the power amp section of the RM800, bypassing the entire pre-amp. I just find it simpler, and easier to get consistent results, especially if I am also DI'ing not the house PA.

Whereabouts in Cheshire are you? I spent quite a few of my younger years living in Bramhall, that's where I first started this game, in fact!

Edited by FinnDave

4 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Yes, very happy, though you're only seeing part of the picture. The RM 800 I bought here last year is my back-up amp, I also have an RM800 evo. I use the evo primarily, through either a BF Super Compact (1  x  12, 8 ohms) or for larger venues, a BF Super Twin (2 x 12, 4 ohms). Whichever I am using, I use a Sansamp Bass DI and go straight into the power amp section of the RM800, bypassing the entire pre-amp. I just find it simpler, and easier to get consistent results, especially if I am also DI'ing not the house PA.

Whereabouts in Cheshire are you? I spent quite a few of my younger years living in Bramhall, that's where I first started this game, in fact!

Cheers Dave, interesting setup! I live in Sale but most of our gigs are in pubs around Stockport - Cheadle Hulme, Romiley, Reddish and Gatley to name a few recent places. 

Blimey, I went to school in Cheadle Hulme and college in Stockport! Don't often get back there these days, but did co-present a programme on a Macclesfield community radio station last year, with a fellow bassist I've known for over 40 years.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Blimey, I went to school in Cheadle Hulme and college in Stockport! Don't often get back there these days, but did co-present a programme on a Macclesfield community radio station last year, with a fellow bassist I've known for over 40 years.

We regularly play a cracking pub in Cheadle Hulme called the John Millington - or the John Milfington as the lads have nicknamed it! :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Just now, rushscored4 said:

We regularly play a cracking pub in Cheadle Hulme called the John Millington - or the John Milfington as the lads have nicknamed it! :biggrin:

Any idea what it was called back in the 70s? My local back then was the Junction, a Holts' pub right next to the station.

Just now, FinnDave said:

Any idea what it was called back in the 70s? My local back then was the Junction, a Holts' pub right next to the station.

Not sure what the John Milly was (an old hall I think) but it's 200 yards down the road from the Junction which is now called Platform 5.

1 minute ago, rushscored4 said:

Not sure what the John Milly was (an old hall I think) but it's 200 yards down the road from the Junction which is now called Platform 5.

Platform 5? Had some great nights in there with the lads, used to be a right rough place, is it still? Remember Hurricane Higgins blind drunk and still beating all comers on the snooker table, juke box full of Hendrix and Lynerd Skynerd, helping hopelessly drunk chap to his car and then saying 'goodnight Father' as the local Catholic priest wove his way into the traffic...proper home from home that was, 40 odd years ago.

• Haha 1

A good friend of mine picked up an Ashdown electric blue combo for £100 a couple of weeks ago. I have it until he’s back in the country and it’s bloody brilliant! Heavy, solid, big sound, sub harmonic button is great fun and the compressor is suprisingly good. I jam along to songs on YouTube with my Bluetooth speaker, great option when I don’t fancy headphones with my laptop.