Why become a member? ×

Video Location Needed - Abandoned/Run Down Factory

Lozz196

11 minutes ago, MB1 said:

MB1.

There seems to be a large amount of these disused buildings/warehouses  being burnt down just recently in the news.

Would be within your best interests to seek permission first.

Indeed, you don't want to burn down a disused building without permission.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, gary mac said:

Don't spoil Lozz's thread by making it political, it will just get locked.

If that is what the song/video is about and its bought our attention to the subject then surely the song is already working as intended? 

We will be rebuilding all these factories soon anyway so I'm told, once we "take back control" we won't be buying anything from outside Britain, back to the good old days, I've already got the Morris minor and a flat cap! 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

"What do we want?" 

"Anarchy!"  

"When do we want it?" 

"soon really but not until the bass player has negotiated a reasonable price for a suitable venue where the safety of the site has been confirmed and a full risk assessment and method statement are completed, yeah!" 

:)

"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore!"

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

...I've already got the Morris minor and a flat cap! 

Waaay too modern for where we're heading! You need to be aiming for a late 18th Century horse carriage and coarse britches :D #Mogmentum

(Sorry - sailing close to the winds of politics here. I will flagellate myself profusely in recompense).

I think you should film it on the banks of the Kennet and Avon Canal in Aldermaston Wharf. On completion of the canal in 1810 local industry flourished with exports of timber products, malt and flour and imports of coal, groceries and manufactured goods. Then the bastard governments knackered it all.

Lovely neck of the woods tho..

Aldermaston_Wharf_-_geograph.org.uk_-_127661.jpg

On 09/04/2018 at 11:29, pete.young said:

Urban explorers web sites will give you some possible locations, but whether you can get permission to go and film at these locations is another thing entirely.

www.28dayslater.co.uk for example. You'll probably have to travel: Hertfordshire is not exactly renowned for dark satanic mills.

It’s a great website, but because entry points to abandoned buildings regularly get closed if they become common knowledge then they are guarded on who the info goes to. I know a couple of the lads who regularly go into old mines (a weird interest of mine, my Dad was an electrician but trained in the mines of South Wales). There tend to be little groups who work together and it can be hard to get into. I am not sure many sites would be suitable as if it became known it had happened they would be closed. The obvious one, Denbigh Asylum went up in flames last year. Shame as that was a very spooky place and easy to get into (I understand) but not very ‘industrial’. Parts of the old LDV site would fit the bill but a long way from Hertfordshire.

It might be a bit on the edge of your travel zone, but last summer I was down in Cornwall, in "Poldark" country. There were quite a few abandoned mine buildings that were accessible to the public, although maybe slightly more ruined than you're looking for. You might need to choose your time to avoid tourists though. 

On 09/04/2018 at 15:51, mikel said:

Is the urban decay band vid/photo not a bit overdone?  Just saying.  Why not try and come up with something different, ironic, unusual?  It might get noticed a bit more. take the p*ss out of shiny new big business or yuppie housing.

A derelict cheese factory maybe?

12 hours ago, spectoremg said:

Chernobyl. Then you all die and acquire the urban legend status. 

Off topic, but Chernobyl isn't anywhere near as dangerous as people think these days. You're more likely to get eaten by a bear than suffer radiation poisoning :)

I know someone who lives in Ukraine and has a permit to enter the exclusion zone (he's an ecologist). I have an open invitation to visit and be shown around, should I ever be in the neighbourhood (!), which I would actually love to do sometime.

But anyway. As you were.

On 09/04/2018 at 12:47, Lozz196 said:

Thanks guys, much appreciated. We`re more likely to go down the official route, it might seem a bit contradictory to the punk ethic but we`re too old to leg it from the old bill if they turn up, couldn`t even manage a walker, let alone a runner.

What about the old Shredded Wheat factory in Welwyn Garden City?  Or if you want to go further afield, Old Hall Mill in Leeds is falling to bits, or Temple Works, also in Leeds, is an iconic Grade I listed building that's crumbling away. I think you'd need to go via the council to get into Temple Works - it was supposed to be sold to Burberry, but the last I heard, that had fallen through.

EDIT: pressed Submit too quickly - the main room in Temple Works was once the largest in the world. It's got an incredible light quality - on a sunny day, the light coming through the myriad of skylights seems to hang in the air without touching the walls. My old model railway club had their clubroom in there. I might have a few pics knocking about if you're interested?

Edited by lozkerr

• 2 weeks later...

It might be worth getting in contact with this place (in Keighley not far from Leeds)

http://www.daltonmills.co.uk/

They use parts of the mill for filming all sorts of stuff including major film and TV dramas on a fairly regular basis, so if there is a section that fits what you want the video to look like, then they will be quite willing to accomodate you, and there should be no issues with power or access, but they will charge. There is also a rehearsal studio over the road from the mill who might be able to help out with lighting/cabs etc if necessary.