Why become a member? ×

What CDs have you bought lately?

mcgraham

Take Me To The River - beautifully packaged, 3 CD history of southern soul.

The Weekend Starts Here - less than beautifully, cheesy double CD of "Mod" soul/mod band favs.

Elvis Costello & The Imposters - Momofuko: growing on me with each listening.

Razorlight - whatever the new one's called. Some of the worst lyrics I've heard in a while.

[quote name='chris_b' post='333911' date='Nov 21 2008, 03:23 PM']Alzheimer’s?[/quote]

Nope - LP, CD and Enhanced CD/DVD (wanted to see the KoB DVD - disappointing!!). I gave the original cd away in a moment of evangelism!

The curse of being born before CDs were invented is that you have this overwhelming need to 'up-grade' big chunks of your vinyl collection! Other up-grades include Yes, ZZ Top, Genesis, Weather Report, Pat Metheny (Bright Size Life), Jaco (Word of Mouth and Jaco), a couple of early John Scofield recordings.... the list is growing!!

On their way to me are:

James Brown - Greatest Hits
Stevie Wonder - The Definative Collection
Seal - Best 1991-2004
Seal - Soul (as a Christmas present)
Cunninlynguists - Sloppy Seconds
Atmosphere - You Cant Imagine How Much Fun Were Having
The Coup - Pick A Bigger Weapon

[quote name='mcgraham' post='333931' date='Nov 21 2008, 03:54 PM']How much does this service cost per month?

Mark[/quote]
£12.95 per month. You can download to three PCs and three mp3 players. My wife uses it within my subs, and she sings in a choir, and she finds it useful to download recordings of whatever her choral society is rehearsing. One of my lads used it for a while too, but his player broke.

[quote]£12.95 per month[/quote]
Bargainous! I don't mind spending around 10 quid a month for an album per month anyway, so considering what it would allow me to download is great. I'll have to look into that. Are there any drawbacks?

Does anyone know if iTunes do anything similar?

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='333956' date='Nov 21 2008, 04:27 PM']Bargainous! I don't mind spending around 10 quid a month for an album per month anyway, so considering what it would allow me to download is great. I'll have to look into that. Are there any drawbacks?

Does anyone know if iTunes do anything similar?

Mark[/quote]
Not every album ever recorded is on Napster, but in practice, it has 95% of what you look for. Occasionally, you come across an artist that doesn't allow downloads (like The Beatles) but it's pretty rare. There is one thing that some will consider is a drawback ...you have to use Napstet To Go compatible players. If you like Creative players, then that's easy, but there's a list of all makes and models. However, Apple ipods are completely out of the frame (which is an Apple thing).

Critics will also point out that the downloads aren't for keeps. This is true, but here's how I see it. This is like having a subscription to a library ...stop subscribing and you take your books back. Meanwhile you can borrow as many tracks as you like. Plus, every now and then, we come across an album that we just [u]have [/u]to own. Sometimes I'll pay for them on Napster, but I'm more likely to route out an online bargain for a CD. I've been doing it for a year and a half and feel my musical knowledge and enjoyment has gone up leaps and bounds.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='333974' date='Nov 21 2008, 04:56 PM']I've been doing it for a year and a half and feel my musical knowledge and enjoyment has gone up leaps and bounds.[/quote]
As a result of this thread, I'm now downloading Raphael Saadiq's album. That's the good thing about Napster To Go ...you get wind of something and the next thing you know you are listening to it. Plus, it's 100% legal, with artists (including the album I recorded with Angie Shaw) getting royalties from this channel.

Sorry, if I sound like I work for the company. I don't!

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='333983' date='Nov 21 2008, 05:07 PM']As a result of this thread, I'm now downloading Raphael Saadiq's album. That's the good thing about Napster To Go ...you get wind of something and the next thing you know you are listening to it. Plus, it's 100% legal, with artists (including the album I recorded with Angie Shaw) getting royalties from this channel.

Sorry, if I sound like I work for the company. I don't![/quote]

Its a great album. His previous records are supposed to be good too. Also, first I've heard of Napster to Go. It sounds like an excellent idea with the small exception of the time you can actually have the stuff for. Cheers for that anyway!

i really shouldn't buy stuff off itunes late at night.

the other night for some unknown reason i ended up buying an album of hayao miyazaki/studio ghibli movies themes done in a musicbox style. seriously, who even comes up with these ideas? and why am i admitting to buying it on a public forum?

Edited by mewsie

[quote name='mewsie' post='334684' date='Nov 23 2008, 12:52 AM']i really shouldn't buy stuff off itunes late at night.

the other night for some unknown reason i ended up buying an album of hayao miyazaki/studio ghibli movies themes done in a musicbox style. seriously, who even comes up with these ideas? and why am i admitting to buying it on a public forum?[/quote]
Just have a few drinks and put them on and then it'll dawn on you why it was such a GREAT idea at the time !! :)