Why become a member? ×

Landlord can "get bands for free", oh no.

2 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

He's gone, you wouldn't have thought it could be run more poorly would you?!

Oh jeez. Man, there's gonna be a new level of utter trash in there now then. Does the guy that dresses like a deck chair still frequent the place?

1 minute ago, Dave Vader said:

I sometimes play songs on an acoustic in walking distance of my house for alcohol

It is often more profitable than the gigs I drive to with a car full of gear for money.

:)

Ah so you're the drunken busker round my way?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

For all my jibes I totally get why you'd do your bit for the local village or town but would you drive fifty miles round trip and set up the pa and lights then play for up to three hours for free in a venue you've never been to because a landlord asked you to?

Not in Milwaukee :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I'm not sure if I can divulge, but yes it's the Kings Head! 

Thought so Pete, currently in free fall. I played there 2 years ago in a pretty ropey band and we went down undeservedly well, now I'm in a better band we made an enquiry about playing there and the landlord basically said we'd have to play for free first time. Suffice to say we left it at that, given that we play covers and are fairly decent  (not that we are Chic or anything but we can earn OK), and that you can get decent money at the Bowling Green. The George IV suddenly looks much better in comparison. 

4 minutes ago, The fasting showman said:

Thought so Pete, currently in free fall. I played there 2 years ago in a pretty ropey band and we went down undeservedly well, now I'm in a better band we made an enquiry about playing there and the landlord basically said we'd have to play for free first time. Suffice to say we left it at that, given that we play covers and are fairly decent  (not that we are Chic or anything but we can earn OK), and that you can get decent money at the Bowling Green. The George IV suddenly looks much better in comparison. 

And the Feathers!

18 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Some of us don't need, nor want the money; it's as simple as that. Confession..? Confess to what..? :|

I realize I'm a Yankee. But how can anyone not want money?

I can't imagine myself after stainding on my feet performing for 4 hours and after tearing down and packing lights and sound at 2:00 AM saying;

" Oh no, that's ok I don't want any money. I do this completely for free"

Blue

@Bluewine , look at it like this:

I would have no problem turning up to a local venue that had PA, lights and often backline provided to play a 30 minute set of our own songs for free, have a couple of beers and listen to some other bands. We get to have a good night out with friends, network with other bands in the same genre and get pictures and reviews posted to online blogs which could lead to bigger paid gigs at festivals or support slots.

I would not drag a full lighting rig and PA to a far away venue, play a 4 hour gig and still be packing up at 2am even if you paid me. My day job pays me more than enough to live comfortably, so I don't need the extra money nor want all the ballache required to earn it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I realize I'm a Yankee. But how can anyone not want money?

I can't imagine myself after stainding on my feet performing for 4 hours and after tearing down and packing lights and sound at 2:00 AM saying;

" Oh no, that's ok I don't want any money. I do this completely for free"

Blue

Can you imagine someone flying to Scotland for eighteen holes of golf, then flying back to Milwaukee, for their sole pleasure (and because they have the wherewithall, of course...)..? I don't see any difference (except for the wherewithall, of course..!). 

35 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Can you imagine someone flying to Scotland for eighteen holes of golf, then flying back to Milwaukee, for their sole pleasure

No.

But then I can't imagine someone walking to a golf course that is 30 seconds in the direction they were travelling anyway for pleasure either, so I suspect my imagination isn't great enough to understand someone wanting to play golf!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, The fasting showman said:

They were an 'interesting crowd' but they enjoyed a night out and like you we're not Chic but we do alright and we always  went down well. Shame.