Why become a member? ×

A clip on tuner that works?

joescartwright

8 minutes ago, lowregisterhead said:

Been using mine for years and never knew this! But then I don't read, I fiddle...

like the 'news' feed headlines "OMG you've been playing Monopoly wrong all your life" coz the 'author' has only just discovered the rule where if you land on an unowned property and don't buy it, it goes to AUCTION.

Umm yeah, I knew this in the 1960s, when I.....READ......THE......RULES.

fair enough that you didn't read the rules and were ignorant all your life.

BUT , DON'T tell me that I have been playing it wrong all my life! Don't judge me by your stupidity

5 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Re this, the ones I`ve had have never worked on the low E at gigs, too much background noise...

That's the problem with headstock tuners - they work using vibration and easily get confused. I find them perfect for home use, but not for gigs. Whenever you need to tune up at a gig there's always some kind of racket going on, so I use a pedal tuner.

Edited by discreet

1 hour ago, discreet said:

That's the problem with headstock tuners - they work using vibration and easily get confused. I find them perfect for home use, but not for gigs. Whenever you need to tune up at a gig there's always some kind of racket going on, so I use a pedal tuner.

not just me then, I've found those clip on tuners for £2 via reverb seem to work as good as any

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

You can also get a TC Unitune clip on tuner, same design as the Polytune but without the flaky Polytune mode, significantly cheaper too.

Where do you get these from? Ive had a look on line but cant find them on the usual websites. Amazon say its not released until May.

3 minutes ago, casapete said:

Cool but i might hold out to see if they do it black at some point. Its really only as a back up as i keep misplacing my current Polytune clip but i do like the look of the black ones.

7 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Re this, the ones I`ve had have never worked on the low E at gigs, too much background noise have affected the performance, so over to the TC, is it good for all strings in gigging conditions?

I've used it in some very noisy rooms without any issues.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LewisK1975 said:

I've used it in some very noisy rooms without any issues.

Me too. Only problem I ever encounter with clip ons is when tuning a semi or fully acoustic bass / guitar whilst

there's a lot of noise going on. On a solid bass mine is 100% every time whatever the environment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Just came across this version of the Planet Waves headstock tuner. Cool idea. The only issue i have with mine is it does fall off in the gig bag. This one is (semi)permanently attached.

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories-c2/tuners-c51/clip-on-c490/planet-waves-ns-micro-tuner-clip-free-p12335

Haven't seen that one before! I always remove my clip on before packing the bass into the gig bag or case to prevent damage.

Also some can be easy to knock into the 'on' position and run the battery down.

6 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Where do you get these from? Ive had a look on line but cant find them on the usual websites. Amazon say its not released until May.

Apologies. I didn’t realise they weren’t out yet, I am doing the same as you, holding out for a black one!