Why become a member? ×

Roasted wood anyone?

rubis

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/precision-bass/fender-fsr-limited-edition-vintage-series-roasted-ash-58-precision-bass

I’m intrigued by the developing trend for using roasted wood on guitars lately, with Fender’s recent offerings, the new Stingray and Warmoth offering roasted necks and bodies

All very tempting, and really no more expensive than standard guitars or replacement parts, but does anyone (not pitching for a sale) have any direct, unbiased experience of these instruments?

The Musicman ones have been around for a long while on certain limited editions they've offered. That Fender Precision edition has as well I think. 

I have a Classic Sabre with a roasted flamed maple neck - it's about three and a half years old. There are no downsides to it in my opinion, so long as you like the look - the idea is you get the equivalent of aged wood through the roasting process - not just in look but in structure - leading to potential improvements in stability.  

My bass is fine with no downsides to it - it also has stainless steel frets like the new ones and those are fine as well. No doubt they will wear better. I personally think the roasted maple looks absolutely stunning if the neck is laquered and slightly better than the oil and wax finish but that's just my preference.

Not that it's of any importance but a curiosity is if you sniff the neck you get a faint but definite whiff of maple syrup (seriously!!!)

• Like 1

Gibson has been using baked maple disguised as rosewood for a couple of years, a couple of years ago (they switched back to rosewood on most models). This was before CITES, and had more to do with their issues with the FBI after their wood stocks were raided and they couldn't use many of their usual tonewoods. 

https://blog.andertons.co.uk/guitars/gibson-baked-maple-fingerboard-guide 

bakedmaple.jpg

Edited by LeftyJ

3 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Not that it's of any importance but a curiosity is if you sniff the neck you get a faint but definite whiff of maple syrup (seriously!!!)

Does that mean if you wear gloves to play you could legitimately Smell The Glove?

On a related theme, I've seen Sandberg talk about steamed oak fretboards.  No idea what they're like though, anybody played one?

1 hour ago, pfretrock said:

I've also seen 'Blackwood' used. Not sure if this is a species or treated in some way.

That would be Blackwood Tek, processed wood (basically impregnated with resin and pigments and hot-pressed to a more compact form with higher density). Here's the website of a large supplier that explains it: 

http://www.madinter.com/blackwood-tek.html?___from_store=fr&___store=en 

This is more like it! Thank you for your comments 

I’m interested in the concept, and I can accept the science behind it, but, as ever, when you ‘research’ these things a lot of the ‘reviews’ are a sales pitch, what I couldn’t find is an objective view of whether it’s a noticeable improvement over kiln dried wood on necks and bodies. In my case it wouldn’t be for gigging, so stability is secondary over any improvement in resonance or tone.

I like the look too, by the way.

Edited by rubis

My eyes were immediately drawn to the fact that the G string is closer to the edge of the fretboard at the 20th fret, than the E string is. Probably due to that lovely gap between the neck and the body. O.o

59 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

That would be Blackwood Tek, processed wood (basically impregnated with resin and pigments and hot-pressed to a more compact form with higher density). Here's the website of a large supplier that explains it: 

http://www.madinter.com/blackwood-tek.html?___from_store=fr&___store=en 

Thanks. Incidentally, if you put masking tape on the blackwood board (the nice blue stuff or the cheap B&Q  stuff) to do any fret dressing, when you remove the tape there are fragments of wood  stuck to it!  Perhaps it was not roasted enough?

8 hours ago, drTStingray said:

the idea is you get the equivalent of aged wood through the roasting process - not just in look but in structure - leading to potential improvements in stability.  

Interesting. I thought it was just a looks thing, but in theory, it's more than just that.

I've now got the urge to buy some bacon & pancakes! 😆

I always just assumed using roasted maple on necks was just an aesthetic thing.

Mind you, I don't really believe in tonewoods, or at least I don't believe my hearing is sensitive enough to tell the difference between ,say, an ash or a maple body.

1 minute ago, Cato said:

I don't really believe in tonewoods, or at least I don't believe my hearing is sensitive enough to tell the difference between ,say, an ash or a maple body.

I dont either, but I'm more likely to believe the type and size of a neck has some sort of bearing on tone. But no one seems to be saying roasting changes tone in any way, despite the claims made for 'aging' of the wood.

Exactly right Discreet, just as with graphite necks, I can accept that there will be physical differences which may well make for a more stable neck, but would that mean less or no dead spots for example, or a better sounding instrument?

2 hours ago, discreet said:

Has anyone claimed that roasting a neck improves, or at least changes, the sound of a bass?

Don't think so - couldn't tell you with mine as I don't have another Sabre to A B - from other Sabres I've played it just sounds as i'd expect the response from a maple board Sabre (as opposed to rosewood) - however the stainless frets (which mostly accompany roasted maple on Musicman basses) look good are possibly slightly more resonant - eg for slap (sort of like stainless steel strings are - just hope they don't lose their resonance as quickly as the string variety 😐 )

Roasted maple v CITES - not linked as far as I can see - these were around long before that and Musicman are offering ebony on some, and rosewood on others as well as maple.

I think it's largely an aesthetic thing and some of the figured and lacquered ones Musicman have turned out are gorgeous. Thus a differentiator from the norm and something which appeals to buyers (like the figured maple on the Classic Stingray basses).

No doubt the Fender one is a dipping of the toe in that water!! 

The first I heard of roasted maple necks was Sadowski and Musicman.