Why become a member? ×

Roasted wood anyone?

rubis

John Suhr talks about roasted woods in his more recent ToneTalks podcast interview, saying the process raises the resonant frequency / tap tone of a piece of wood, moving it out of the way of normal playing frequencies and reducing dead notes and wolf tones. My 1960 Precision has had a replacement neck made in roasted flame maple, and it’s wonderful. Objectively, it’s a nicer neck than the original one on my 1964 Precision, and more stable too. 

Edited by therealting

22 hours ago, therealting said:

John Suhr talks about roasted woods in his more recent ToneTalks podcast interview, saying the process raises the resonant frequency / tap tone of a piece of wood, moving it out of the way of normal playing frequencies

I've not yet listened to the podcast & this might be a complete donut of a question, but why is the process (& therefore benefits) not enhanced further to include 'roasting' the body too?

1 hour ago, Wilco said:

I've not yet listened to the podcast & this might be a complete donut of a question, but why is the process (& therefore benefits) not enhanced further to include 'roasting' the body too?

It can be - I believe Fender actually did a Factory Special Run in roasted swamp ash recently. There was a nice Tele on eBay recently which is fully roasted.

Edited by therealting

On 1/31/2018 at 09:39, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

As Dr.T says. The roasting process is supposed to draw as much moisture out of the wood before finishing as possible.

Less moisture = more stability I believe is the theory. I don’t have anything negative to say about mine. Look great, sound great.

And for maple; smells great! 

4 hours ago, therealting said:

It can be - I believe Fender actually did a Factory Special Run in roasted swamp ash recently. There was a nice Tele on eBay recently which is fully roasted.

Looks like they did a P bass too!

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/fender_ltd_ed_and_58_p_bass_roasted_ash_natural/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIycWe25mK2QIVDT4bCh3Acw9aEAQYBSABEgLHnPD_BwE