Why become a member? ×

High Pass Filters

funkydoug

1 minute ago, Chienmortbb said:

In my opinion, I would put the HPF at the front of the chain but possibly after any DI. That will make it easier on the rest of your signal chain.

I was thinking about that (having it before any pedals) but then I realised that the Mutron really responds well to bigger sounding basses and I worry that filtering out before that might affect the range of the filter, which, as it stands, is right in the centre of it's useful curve, giving me lots of options. If I filter before that I'd have to up the gain (which can add distortion) or sacrifice some of the range.

36 minutes ago, ped said:

Any advice on where to use an HPF, I currently have a chain which goes bass-pedals-comp-DI-output

Would it make sense to have it after the DI, before the comp or in between the comp and DI? Or right at the start?!

I know, it'll be best to experiment but is there a general consensus?

Towards the very end of the chain, right before an eventual DI, though if you use a compressor that sits towards the end of your chain then before that.

So with the signal chain you are listing there, right before your compressor.

As you write in your response above this, some pedals works best with the full signal of your bass, but also some effect pedals will produce more low end, hence why the HPF should be after those.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Towards the very end of the chain, right before an eventual DI, though if you use a compressor that sits towards the end of your chain the before that.

So with the signal chain you are listing there, right before your compressor.

This was my thinking too. However what if I use my comp as a limiter and quite enjoy the sound of bashing the occasional note into the limiter. I guess after the limiter in that case, so that my sound isn’t changed by the HPF so that I’d have to adjust my limiter for the presumably lower range on the input?

5 minutes ago, ped said:

This was my thinking too. However what if I use my comp as a limiter and quite enjoy the sound of bashing the occasional note into the limiter. I guess after the limiter in that case, so that my sound isn’t changed by the HPF so that I’d have to adjust my limiter for the presumably lower range on the input?

If you like that way your compressor/limiter reacts to your low end and the resulting effect, then sure, but most people wouldn't as it will affect the rest of the overall tone of your bass in those cases, most would say negatively.

Also please read my edited in addition to my original response to you. 

31 minutes ago, ped said:

I was thinking about that (having it before any pedals) but then I realised that the Mutron really responds well to bigger sounding basses and I worry that filtering out before that might affect the range of the filter, which, as it stands, is right in the centre of it's useful curve, giving me lots of options. If I filter before that I'd have to up the gain (which can add distortion) or sacrifice some of the range.

Unless you are using an HPF set high so it filters out the fundamentals, then it shouldn't impact the Mutron.

10 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Unless you are using an HPF set high so it filters out the fundamentals, then it shouldn't impact the Mutron.

Sure, if he plans to exclusively use the HPF as a means to filter out sub frequencies for the sake of getting max volume possible out of his amp while protecting his speakers and preventing them from farting out, but if he additionally wants to use it more as an EQ effect to tighten up his low end and make it more punchy (for this you need to set the HPF cutoff point closer to the lowest fundamentals your bass produces), then it might very well affect how the Mutron reacts and the resulting effect on its output.

Thanks chaps. The fact is that I probably don’t need one at all as I’m 100% happy with my sound, settings and setup but as I start playing live more I think it might be a useful thing to help with stages, PA and using other amplifiers so perhaps after my comp and before DI is the way to go so nothing changes except the feed out of my board. I may not use it much but along with a good DI I thought it sensible to have as an option under the board.. and you know, gadgets and all. 

1 hour ago, ped said:

Any advice on where to use an HPF, I currently have a chain which goes bass-pedals-comp-DI-output

Would it make sense to have it after the DI, before the comp or in between the comp and DI? Or right at the start?!

I know, it'll be best to experiment but is there a general consensus?

I figured the desk would want a full-range signal, so they could apply whatever filtering they wanted without it being coloured by my hpf.

As such, my signal chain goes;

Preamp (Inc DI or line out for the engineer's own DI) >> HPF/comp >> head >> cab.

• Like 2

I’ve been using a tube preamp , and it sits nicely between the preamp and the main amp. I’ve found the difference to be slight , but for the time being am going to continue using it.

Many Class D amps have built in high pass filters , some are adjustable , some are not.

• Like 3

Just now, msb said:

I believe in Jule’s work. I have a Monique birdcage.

I had an M700 as my main amp for about 5 yrs. the Simone is such a great sounding unit too. I know people rave about the Noble as a tube DI but Simone is a better value unit and although it’s a bit bigger I don’t know why more folks aren’t raving about them. In terms of value for money/features/tone Simone is the winner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

Likewise, my limiter sounds more natural before the HPF. I've tried running the HPF into the limiter but it made the sound thin, but at the same settings post limiter it was punching like a good 'un.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Likewise, my limiter sounds more natural before the HPF. I've tried running the HPF into the limiter but it made the sound thin, but at the same settings post limiter it was punching like a good 'un.

It sounds from other threads about the dreaded C word that we have similar tastes regarding comp/limiting so that's reassuring. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ped said:

It sounds from other threads about the dreaded C word that we have similar tastes regarding comp/limiting so that's reassuring. 

If you're going to start using the C word I'm afraid I'm going to have to report you to the mods...

😃

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Osiris said:

If you're going to start using the C word I'm afraid I'm going to have to report you to the mods...

😃

I’ll hand myself in I promise! 

I’ve added the HPF after the thru out on the DI and after my comp so signal does this:

Bass-loop(mutron)-fuzz-Bassballs-comp-HPF-out 

or 

Bass-loop(mutron)-fuzz-Bassballs-comp-DI Out

Or I can actually bypass all of it by going out from the fuzz tuner out as both Valco pedals are true bypass. May be useful in emergencies. 

Initial testing seems to help tame the bass going into my BassBoard platform. I’ve managed to position it so I can adjust the filter from the top of my board through a small hole which is handily lit up by the LED on the device. It’s running at 18v from my Cioks although most of the time I’m using a passive bass. 

Thanks for the help

IMG_6711.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Osiris said:

That is fine, just keep it as close to the front of your chain.

• Like 1

I have a Micro Thumpinator last in my chain before my amp. Signal path is bass (or EUB) into EBS Stanley Clarke pre, Plethora X3 & Sansamp in the loop of the EBS, then EBS out to Micro Thumpinator, then on to my amp. I take the DI from the EBS to the PA, and when I’m mixing in both of my bands, I use the PEQ high pass to dial out the ultra low end in the PA. When I’m not mixing, the house engineer gets a full fat bass signal to do with as he likes.

• Like 2

On 07/09/2023 at 13:08, Baloney Balderdash said:

Sure, if he plans to exclusively use the HPF as a means to filter out sub frequencies for the sake of getting max volume possible out of his amp while protecting his speakers and preventing them from farting out, but if he additionally wants to use it more as an EQ effect to tighten up his low end and make it more punchy (for this you need to set the HPF cutoff point closer to the lowest fundamentals your bass produces), then it might very well affect how the Mutron reacts and the resulting effect on its output.

I think that what I put, just from the opposite perspective  😁