Why become a member? ×

Advice needed about entry to 5 string

meltedbuzzbox

On 09/12/2017 at 23:26, ambient said:

So, so much easier than having to keep moving about, especially if it's a reading gig or improvising following chords.

Absolutely this. I've had a five for a few weeks now and I find it much easier and more intuitive than the four. Having two full octaves over five frets anywhere on the fretboard has made it instinctive to root on the B string whenever I can. And it makes a huge difference to reading too - I'm trying to wean myself off tabs.

• Like 1

One down side of a 5 is this ..

I'm due to receive a 5 string in a trade and haven't had one in a while so I look up the cost of my favourite flats which I use on my 4s , cost £70 ! 

Anyone use a different string for the B ? Seriously it's so low anyway I wonder if it would notice 

Edited by lojo

On 12/13/2017 at 07:53, neilp said:

And if you changed that ridiculous key signature to one sharp, you could play the whole thing as a rising line, which might be even better. After all, could be argued that the first bar-and -a- beat has been taken up an octave, totally ruining it...

Um, that's  an extract from Ain't Nobody by Chaka Khan, the original version of which is a keyboard synth in Eb Minor. It may be ridiculous, but many singers would find it  a challenge to move it up a semitone just because the bass player is struggling to adapt.

I wasn't suggesting it was a struggle as is, I was suggesting it would be better. There's a difference.

And if the singer can't manage a semitone higher, it's probably already too high. Still, what do I know?

2 hours ago, lojo said:

One down side of a 5 is this ..

That's not a downside.

It's a consideration and a factor you take into account. This is the running costs that you accept before buying any bass.

You don't buy a Range Rover and then complain the mpg isn't as good as your Skoda!

13 minutes ago, chris_b said:

That's not a downside.

It's a consideration and a factor you take into account. This is the running costs that you accept before buying any bass.

You don't buy a Range Rover and then complain the mpg isn't as good as your Skoda!

Classic internet come back , I wasn't really being that serious or complaining just adding to the debate 😀

14 minutes ago, lojo said:

Classic internet come back , I wasn't really being that serious or complaining just adding to the debate 😀

Then my "classic internet comeback" is that addition to the debate you were looking for.

1 minute ago, lojo said:

Cool and your right it is a consideration , fortunately I'm not someone who changes strings often but for someone who likes fresh rounds it might be an issue to consider if your not that flush 

I use the d'addario XLs, they are generally around £25. I must admit to being too tight to paying £70 for a set of strings, I have bought basses for less that that :D

9 minutes ago, lojo said:

Thanks , shopping around I've now found them for £50 which might be ok considering I love them worn in.

Maybe it's my chance to try to enjoy rounds again 

Although I said I was too tight to do it, it was a sort of a joke, as if it is something that really matters to you then the money isn't really that much of an issue.

I have the advantage of loving flats and not liking other types of strings, which makes it much cheaper for me. Well, I have flats on the fretless, more down to the fact you are supposed to I guess, but I never really loved them.

19 minutes ago, lojo said:

Cool and your right it is a consideration , fortunately I'm not someone who changes strings often but for someone who likes fresh rounds it might be an issue to consider if your not that flush 

Buy a set of good flats and it could be a once in a decade event. That makes even an expensive set of flats a good investment.

I use DR rounds and I try to keep them on for as long as I can. They are expensive and I don't have the longest pockets but, again, as an investment in making me sound as good as I can sound, I think they are worth it.

IME there is only one rule for bass strings: Always buy the best. They will make you sound better. 

Absolutely.

They certainly are one of the cheapest strings out there but they are the best for me and unless something else comes along that is significantly better then I'll never change to another brand.

But if DR Legend Flats at £72 a set are what give you the best sound and feel the best to play then buying a cheaper set of strings will only disappoint you and make you wish that you'd paid the extra to get the ones you really wanted

Same here , I love some budget basses , but strings have to be quality 

Im looking forward to getting my hands on the Ray35 I've done in a trade 

Hopefully I'll get on well and I can put my Stingray 4 string up for sale 

6 hours ago, chris_b said:

IME there is only one rule for bass strings: Always buy the best. They will make you sound better. 

Nah save your money, get decent strings that do the job (and just work on becoming a better player - no more sure fire way of sounding better).

Edited by Al Krow

3 hours ago, lojo said:

Same here , I love some budget basses , but strings have to be quality 

- 1 ? :D

Not the same here: I love a quality bass with great pups, a versatile EQ, a well balanced body and a fast neck which, together, looks and feels great and is joy to play.

Strings don't need to cost the earth and frankly sound good when they have been played in and therefore don't need to be changed with the frequency of nappies either!

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

- 1 ? :D

Not the same here: I love a quality bass with great pups, a versatile EQ, a well balanced body and a fast neck which, together, looks and feels great and is joy to play.

Strings don't need to cost the earth and frankly sound good when they have been played in and therefore don't need to be changed with the frequency of nappies either!

I know what you mean but I think some budget instruments sound great with good strings . I brought a Sub for a friends son and in no way can it be said it's not quailty even though it's technically a budget instrument 

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Disagree

strings make a massive difference, get the ones you like/love. You don’t put cheap  tyres on a good car

No one is saying get cheap crap. But IMHO you don't need to be shelling out £70 every six months on a set of strings either. 

We both know regularly gigging bassists who are not spending loads on a strings budget.

Happy to disagree - but let's just say my choice of strings has had zero bearing on the number of gigs and our gig fees and the appreciation from our audiences. Ever. On the other hand our choice of vocalist...:D

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

My first bass was a 5, and I completely agree with all said above about the hand-position advantages. My lead singer favours E, and it's easier rooted on the 5th fret of the B, plus you have an easy 5th below anything on the E string. Constance Redgrave (Spikedrivers) strings her 4 BEAD, and I'm thinking of doing that with the one 4 I love too much to give up.

One of my 5s is EADGC, set up for my ex-band where a lot of the songs worked well with a high bassline. Again it's about position rather than range. I'd been playing above the 12th fret on the G, and it was much easier to move down the fretboard on the C.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been a 4 string player for over 30 years.  I've got an octave for getting the lower notes.

TBH though, I'm hankering after a nice 5er, most likely a fretless too.

For less than £500, the Sire basses get a good review & you can't go wrong with an Ibanez, even their budget stuff is fantastic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

No one is saying get cheap crap. But IMHO you don't need to be shelling out £70 every six months on a set of strings either. 

We both know regularly gigging bassists who are not spending loads on a strings budget.

Happy to disagree - but let's just say my choice of strings has had zero bearing on the number of gigs and our gig fees and the appreciation from our audiences. Ever. On the other hand our choice of vocalist...:D

Bunkum 

So the poster about this wanted to spend £50-70 on a set of strings he/she wanted and mentioned nothing about changing them every 6 months. Being flatwounds one would also assume a longer life than 6 months.

I think you have taken the argument somewhere it wasn’t going to justify not going there if that makes sense?! Should we then say no point in Buying an American Fender when having a Mex one will not make a difference in the gigs, gig fees, appreciation etc. Or why are you buying a premium Japanese brand when a cheap Chinese copy will do the same.

Flea changes his strings every gig, James Jameson notoriously didn’t bother, Joe bloggs does it every now and again Mrs Miggins does it a bit more often......., it’s all silly comparisons to say what to do and invent a reason for it.

Get the strings you want at the price point you want to deliver the sound you want, know their lifespan, change them as required by you.

Four things in response on this beautiful bank holiday Monday morning:

- when you put it like that, there's very little to disagree with! 

- putting £70 strings on a bass costing £210 is like putting tyres costing £700 on a car costing £2,100. Who does that? You don't put very expensive tyres on a cheap car. 

- Flea is awesome. Californication. James Jamerson was in a different league higher (and higher), still. 

- I'll have a think about changing my name by deed poll to "Bunkum" or possibly starting a band with that name; it's got a nice ring to it! xD

• Like 1