Why become a member? ×

Advice needed about entry to 5 string

meltedbuzzbox

Hello all,

I'm looking at diving it the 5 string world. Ideally I am going to spend under £500 but I was looking for advice.

Should I look at a fan fret? Do I need a minimum scale length for the b string?

I was thinking about getting a Sterling Ray 5 but I thought I would ask about before I dived in.

Thanks

I would get a 5 if the same scale that you currently use, so there is less to get used to. Scale length I have never noticed make a difference, certainly not 34/35 anyway. 

The Stirling Ray 5 is a great bass, you wouldn’t go far wrong with that. I had one (traded for something else but it did nothing wrong)

• Like 1

Nice helpful advice, Mick. O.o

Sterling Ray would be great.  There is also a SUB 5 for sale somewhere in the classifieds and that is a bargain.  One of the Yamaha BB 5ers - 415/425/1025 would be what I would look for in your position.  Also one of the new series BB235 for sale at the moment https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/316361-yamaha-bb235-5-string-in-black/

I migrated over to 5ers about a year ago and found that, for me,  (apart from weight - they are generally hefty buggers) the most important issue was string spacing near the nut end of the neck.  Have a look at the 4s you find most comfortable and measure the spacing - then try to find a 5 string that has a similar spacing.  At least, that is the approach that worked for me and was the reason I failed at my first couple of goes at playing 5ers.

Just now, Paul S said:

Nice helpful advice, Mick. O.o

Sterling Ray would be great.  There is also a SUB 5 for sale somewhere in the classifieds and that is a bargain.  One of the Yamaha BB 5ers - 415/425/1025 would be what I would look for in your position.  Also one of the new series BB235 for sale at the moment https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/316361-yamaha-bb235-5-string-in-black/

I migrated over to 5ers about a year ago and found that, for me,  (apart from weight - they are generally hefty buggers) the most important issue was string spacing near the nut end of the neck.  Have a look at the 4s you find most comfortable and measure the spacing - then try to find a 5 string that has a similar spacing.  At least, that is the approach that worked for me and was the reason I failed at my first couple of goes at playing 5ers.

Did you switch exclusively to 5s? Or do you swap and change? 

Just now, Paul S said:

I moved over exclusively.  I figured that it was bad enough trying to find my way around a new neck without keep going back to the old one :)  Take away the safety net!

Hmm, that’s what I thought. I have toyed with the idea but love my Thunderbird too much to completely give it up. I have wondered about trying to adjust my technique and start resting my thumb on the B string (except when playing it obviously) but not sure if that will do the trick, I presently do a sort of half arsed floating thumb technique where it floats from the pick up to the E string and back but no lower.

The ‘Rays tend to be great sounding and feeling instruments. The only thing I’d say is try one before you buy, as the string spacing may be somewhat narrower than you’re used to.

I now exclusively play 5s but it took a good long while searching and trying stuff out before I took the plunge on my first one. String spacing at the bridge AND the nut, fretboard radius and neck profile are a complex combination of factors that all interact with one another to influence the feel of the instrument in your hands. For example, I wasn’t a massive fan of 19mm string spacing (at the bridge) until I played my first MTD 5er with an asymmetrical neck. By comparison, I’ve never much enjoyed Ibanez BTB 5s - they also have 19mm string spacing but their fretboards are so flat and wide that, to me, they feel like aircraft carriers. And I’m a very large man with very large hands! I do, however, own an Ibanez BTB33 which is the only 5er in the BTB range with 17mm spacing. Tuned EADGC rather than BEADG. It’s incredibly comfortable to play.

Play them all!

Get  used bass so you can sell it on without losing too much if you decide you'd prefer a different bass.

Put your 4 string basses away and play the 5er exclusively until working with the new layout becomes second nature.

What cab(s) do you use? You might need an upgrade to do the sound of the new bass justice.

You might struggle to find a fan fret for under £500- unless its a Harley Benton? 

Re moving to 5 strings, I went across and until a month or so ago was exclusively  5's. However then bought an old Telebass and now have 2X 4's and 2X 5's and seem to be able to swap between them quite easily. But that's after around 20 years on a 5 only....

Edited by yorks5stringer

Best is to get along to a shop and try a few.

Stick with it too, maybe take a lesson or two off an experienced teacher. A 5 string is as much about the positional benefits it offers as it is the extra 5 notes.

I can never understand why people take a 4 and a 5 to gigs. Unless the 4 gives something the 5 doesn’t ie fretless or other distinctive sound, just use the 5.

• Like 1

Scott Devine has done an excellent couple of reviews on transitioning to 5 and 6 string basses.The fiver one is here - don't worry about the title, its just to get people watching. 

And if you have 500 notes, I'd seriously look at the Sire range before moving on to any other lines.

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1

If you're near Derby you are very welcome to come and try mine. Choice of Yamha, Fender and Warwick. All good workhorses in their individual ways.

At your budget I'd strongly recommend buying a second hand instrument. In my experience you need to spend a fair bit more to get a decent 5er compared to a 4 string. Partly due to availability but also because of apparent compromises made in design. Mr Big Red X is much more eloquent on this than me. Hopefully he'll be along soon.

• Like 1

I wasn't being sarcastic, there seems to be perceived pressure to convert to 5ers when many haven't even mastered the 4s yet.

You might want to ask yourself whether you actually need a 5er - do you play lots of octaves/ scales? I've tried going to 5ers several times without success. I found that I would always reach for a 4 string.

Good advice by Chris B about putting your 4 strings away if you are seriously planning on going down the 5er route. 

I think that in your budget you'll find lots of options - Sire is a good choice as would be the entry model Laklands and Marusczyks.  

29 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I wasn't being sarcastic, there seems to be perceived pressure to convert to 5ers when many haven't even mastered the 4s yet.

You might want to ask yourself whether you actually need a 5er - do you play lots of octaves/ scales? I've tried going to 5ers several times without success. I found that I would always reach for a 4 string.

Good advice by Chris B about putting your 4 strings away if you are seriously planning on going down the 5er route. 

I think that in your budget you'll find lots of options - Sire is a good choice as would be the entry model Laklands and Marusczyks.  

It’s not, in my opinion anyway, just the extra notes. It’s the positional thing too.

I’m not understanding why there should have to be a progression from 4 to 5?

Having to master a 4 before progressing to a 5 isn’t necessary. They’re, again in my opinion, different instruments. Your first instrument could be a 5 string. I’ve got a student who’s first instrument was a 6 string bass.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 1