Why become a member? ×

1st rehearsal cancelled !!!

dmccombe7

2 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

You lost me at "the drummer doesn't drive and lives 90 miles away", if it's going to be a £250 per person function band then maybe, £40 a piece down the tickled trout then it's never gonna happen imo.

Onwards and upwards :)

£40 a piece for a pub gig? Where is this Tickled Trout?  We'll take £40 each with no complaints whatsoever ?

Good point Ascars about the music. Its a style of music i'm most comfortable with and what i was looking for to be honest. 

It may well all be genuine and if it gets up and running i may find out they just aren't good enough at doing it and that would have to be the end of it for me.

Time will tell tho

• Like 1

Yeh - some people like the idea of being in a band but don't actually have the time/commitment/whatever to actually do it. Some people's lives are just too chaotic. 

My default expectation is that we rehearse once a week. If you can't all spare an evening a week to be in a band then it's never getting off the ground. 

• Like 1

agree with above post, once a week to work on new originals is a must for us. We are all mature so real life stops this from happening every week, but mostly we do. We enjoy each other's company a lot,that helps immensely. Three of us have known each other for over 30 years so we know each other very well.

think yourself lucky that you discoverred they are all flakes before you had too much invested in it.

run forrest, run

Edited by bazztard

16 hours ago, thepurpleblob said:

Yeh - some people like the idea of being in a band but don't actually have the time/commitment/whatever to actually do it. Some people's lives are just too chaotic. 

My default expectation is that we rehearse once a week. If you can't all spare an evening a week to be in a band then it's never getting off the ground. 

yep this, especially if you want to be tight as..

4 hours ago, bazztard said:

agree with above post, once a week to work on new originals is a must for us. We are all mature so real life stops this from happening every week, but mostly we do. We enjoy each other's company a lot,that helps immensely. Three of us have known each other for over 30 years so we know each other very well.

think yourself lucky that you discoverred they are all flakes before you had too much invested in it.

run forrest, run

Life is like a box of chocolates, You never know what you're gonna get  xD

1 hour ago, skidder652003 said:

yep this, especially if you want to be tight as..

I won't gig with a band unless they are tight. I'm past the age of being embarrassed by other band members making mistakes.

Either do it right or not at all. Don't get me wrong mistakes happen at almost every gig but they should be virtually un-noticed by the audience.

Dave

Start looking for another band.

I had a similar experience with a band I 'joined' just over a year ago. The audition was postponed twice, so by the time I auditioned I'd learned the whole set. Audition went well as far as my bit was concerned but the singer didn't show and guitarist bandleader did the vocals. I got the spot but the bandleader rang next day to say the band had folded. Turns out the singer didn't want to continue and thought they'd never get a replacement bassist so he wouldn't have to break any bad news.

The only way this band are going to get going is if you know another singer and are happy to take the initiative. If any of your band are any good then keep in touch, you never know when you'll need another musician

Re the OP - I'd be looking for another band, but give these guys one more chance
You never know - perhaps if you can get together, you may find one, or the rest of the guys are up for something with more commitment

Honestly, the number of bands I've been in, where someone else decides that's enough, or I want this, or I want that and this isn't doing it for me...
But you meet other musicians along the way, and make new pals and meet other people

I sometimes wonder whether I've wasted my time, learning songs - only for the band to fall apart
Then, one day, I'm at an open mic or I'm playing a gig, and someone asks me to play something that's not in my / our set list.... and hey ho - I might just remember that song!
plus, in the long run, it's all good practice to learn songs you probably wouldn't have played otherwise

Sure, keep in touch with this band (and give them another chance), but keep looking for something else
PS. I'm currently in 4 bands - I always keep at least 2 bands on the go.... as they're always disintegrating! lol

Edited by Marc S
  • Confused 1

4 bands at a time. Jings i struggle with one. xD

Most i've had is 2 at any given time but found it taking up too much of my time when i was working.

Now that i'm retired (early of course) i have lot more time to learn songs so 2 bands might not be a bad idea.

Best start with getting one first tho xDxD

Dave

I'd the same thing happen been rehearsing since July but turns out the drummer was having difficulties with his marriage and announced three weeks ago at a rehearsal that he was off to Oztralia that coming Monday! He will return in three months (and in my mind he will then have to find a place to live, nowhere to rehearse along with three months of not playing etc.) and the guys have all been keen to re-group upon his return. I'm not waiting for three months (why should I his wife hasn't *zing*) to them spend another 3 months for him to get his chops back. He was the weakest link in the group and I've taken this as a blessing and bolted.

The point is if he's having diff's in a relationship its either and sorry to seem so pejorative, he's a bit fly with the ladies and can't be trusted by his missus or she's been out playing about in his absence... ultimately any band related absences will keep the tensions in that relationship. I've seen it numerous times in bands since I was a teenager.

*I do hope his partner doesn't have some awful cancer or else I'm gonna look right a right c-unit*

19 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I won't gig with a band unless they are tight. I'm past the age of being embarrassed by other band members making mistakes.

Either do it right or not at all. Don't get me wrong mistakes happen at almost every gig but they should be virtually un-noticed by the audience.

Dave

agree. In the 80s and 90s we were loose as the Stones, well, almost.

Now we are tight as, me and the drummer have not made a mistake in our first three shows, apart from the occasional dropped stick.

On the other hand,saw a mate's cover band, and in every song the lead guitarist fluffed the solo , ones that we all know. It was god aweful. I love my bands :)

• Like 1

Off topic,

Red flag, the new band with the ultimate goal of gigging once a week.Rehearses  2-3 times a week and focuses on perfection.

A year later your still reheasing 2-3 times a week and not a gig in sight.

The red flag here for newbies. Only with rare exception does any band need to rehearse 3 xs a week. And no pub band needs to be perfect, but you need to be good.

Blue

Seems like the advice to hold off and not burn any bridges but put the feelers out was good advice after all.

Singer got in touch last night to say things have been more or less sorted out with his domestic situation and band is back on if all up for it.

Gonna go along with it and see how it develops.

I had spoken with a few musician and agency friends to let me know if anything comes up that i might be interested in.

Had the offer of a few wedding bands but not really what i want to do.

Dave

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Imagine the set list a wedding band needs.  I'm glad you're all back up with the project again.

I got involved with a function band earlier this year and the set list was circa 80 songs and they were still looking to add more.

That's when i realised doing weddings and functions just wasn't what i wanted to do. It started to feel more like a full time job and that certainly wasn't what i had in mind when i retired early.

Dave

On 30/11/2017 at 09:18, dmccombe7 said:

Its been approx 2 months since i joined and now 1st rehearsal is cancelled perhaps for genuine reasons but its a bit like Boy that cried Wolf for me.

I haven't ever been a band where I hadn't already gigged within 2 months of joining!

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

All in a days work for a bass player.

That (wedding band bassist) is a little bit more than I'd aspire to at the moment.  I'm only a hobby bassist remember.

I can (almost) appreciate how much of a job that would be in high season.  Still, if I got the bug and a few successful bookings as a singing bassist, who knows?  I might actually build the stamina for such work.  It imagine that it would help build a repertoire and round off the skills more quickly than doing pub gigs.

I'm sure that Dave has reasons of his own for not wanting it.