Why become a member? ×

More Beatles more Beatles more Beatles

roceci

2 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

That people have lived in to their 60s and beyond? 

They'll always be Beatles fans of course but they'll be on decline over the next twenty years. 

The thing is, The Beatles are bigger than their fan base.

Again, we're talking about The Beatles. They are not going anywhere.

Blue

41 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I'm not certain (I don't listen to 'em...), but I have the impression that most radio stations are more about the ephemera than the classics, of any ilk. Not much Grateful Dead on the airwaves, either. :|

I don't listen to them either.

Who listens to terrestrial radio stations? 

Anyone with a device can access as much Greatful Dead, Beatles or the ephenera  as they want and anytime they want.

If I wanted to listen to Revolver right this second I could.

Mr. You Had To Be There aka Blue

Edited by Bluewine

8 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

You mean that (Gasp..!) there is something else besides Radio 4..? :shok:

Really, Blue..! Some folks are still in this century; not everyone has stepped boldly into the future..! xD

I haven't stepped boldly anywhere except for the front of the line at my local Chinese Buffet.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I'll just put this out here...

Many fans of The Beatles on this thread are starting to sound much like my parents did when they went on about the "superiority" of classical music and how this new pop/rock wasn't proper music back in the early 70s.

except The Beatles and George Martin fundamentally changed the way music was recorded for every single artist since then. STEREO, multitracking, looping, effects like reverb and distortion.......

4 hours ago, bazztard said:

except The Beatles and George Martin fundamentally changed the way music was recorded for every single artist since then. STEREO, multitracking, looping, effects like reverb and distortion.......

Except that most of those innovative recording techniques were developed when George Martin was working on comedy records with the likes of Peter Sellers well before he got involved with The Beatles.

And as for "STEREO" it was deemed so important for The Beatles records that the mixes were mostly dashed off in an afternoon, after the serious work spending a couple of days getting the mono mixes right had been completed.

• Like 1

Les Paul was very innovative and came up with one of the first solid electric guitars,  invented multi tracking, the harmonica holder, backing tracks and a whole lot more. Les was up to he elbows in solder and wire.

George Martin and the EMI engineers lead by the requests and requirements of the Beatles reinvented how the whole world used the recording studio.

Up to the Beatles the studio only recorded performances. The Beatles turned the studio into a creative part of the band.

55 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Except that most of those innovative recording techniques were developed when George Martin was working on comedy records with the likes of Peter Sellers well before he got involved with The Beatles.

And as for "STEREO" it was deemed so important for The Beatles records that the mixes were mostly dashed off in an afternoon, after the serious work spending a couple of days getting the mono mixes right had been completed.

Most artists were the same at the time. It was deemed, probably rightly, that only audio buffs had stereo systems in the early 60s so why spend time and money on a niche market when they could sell millions of mono records?

Flanging, oo er missus, was invented by Martin/Beatles. A happy accident that John liked and  got the tape opp to do deliberately. Also, splicing tape to produce different sounds and parts. Up to then tape was considered too valuable to cut.

18 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Except for all the comedy records that George Matin made prior to The Beatles.

If you mean the sound effects that were used on the Peter Sellers, Bernard Cribbins records then I think they are still performance related recordings.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

I've still got one of those 45s.  It was Spike Milligan doing a goonish rendition of a song called Tower Bridge as a flip side to Silent Night.

It was a stocking filler one Christmas when I was little.  I also got Cliff Richard singing She's leaving You/Big Ship and Lulu singing Boom Bang-a-Bang.

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I've still got one of those 45s.  It was Spike Milligan doing a goonish rendition of a song called Tower Bridge as a flip side to Silent Night.

It was a stocking filler one Christmas when I was little.  I also got Cliff Richard singing She's leaving You/Big Ship and Lulu singing Boom Bang-a-Bang.

My Dad used to buy me the latest Beatles LP for Christmas, bless him

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Lulu, I'm a big fan. What an incredible voice. 

I fell in love with her when I saw her in the 60s classic movie "To Sir With Love"

Blue

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Lulu, I'm a big fan. What an incredible voice. 

I fell in love with her when I saw her in the 60s classic movie "To Sir With Love"

Blue

Lulu is a Scot and she still makes TV appearances on rare occasions.  She has a much better back catalogue than a lot of folk appreciate.

Did you like Cilla Black?  Were you aware of Merseybeat music?
Beat or Merseybeat Music

Speaking of Merseybeat,  just read an English travelogue where the author takes the ferry out of Liverpool.  While embarking and debarking they play Gerry Marsden with Gerry and the Pacemakers singing Ferry Cross the Mersey on a loop.  Actually not a bad song heard once in a blue moon,  but could not imagine working there and not going absolutely bonkers.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Yank said:

Speaking of Merseybeat,  just read an English travelogue where the author takes the ferry out of Liverpool.  While embarking and debarking they play Gerry Marsden with Gerry and the Pacemakers singing Ferry Cross the Mersey on a loop.  Actually not a bad song heard once in a blue moon,  but could not imagine working there and not going absolutely bonkers.

and through a poor quality tannoy, the sound quality is appalling, something like dial a disc on the phone if anybody can remember that, but really loud

15 minutes ago, Yank said:

If you come over to visit you need to be aware that the song was a fund raiser for victims of the Hillsborough disaster.  It should be considered compulsory listening unless you want lynching scouser stylee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferry_Cross_the_Mersey

'In May 1989, a charity version of "Ferry Cross the Mersey" was released in aid of those affected by the Hillsborough disaster, which claimed the lives of 95 Liverpool fans the previous month (a 96th, Tony Bland, died in 1993 as a consequence of that disaster). The song was recorded by Liverpool artists The Christians, Holly Johnson, Paul McCartney, Gerry Marsden and Stock Aitken Waterman. The single held the #1 spot in the UK chart for three weeks[4] and the Irish chart for two weeks.'

7 hours ago, Yank said:

Wow! I remember the song and the black & white video. Loved it still do.

Blue