Why become a member? ×

Little Valve Amp

Dazed

I've been thinking for a while about getting a valve amp. It's only for home use so nothing large in volume or size. 

I'd love a B15 and been tempted a few times but in reality I think it would be too loud for my needs. 

From what I've read the volume needs to be getting up there to get that edge of break up tone I think I'm after. 

Then there's the Ashdowns, after some research I'm looking at the CTM30/LB30 or the CTM15. 

Is there much difference tonally? I see the CTM15 is a solid state pre whereas the the 30 is all valve. Does the 30 need to be cranked up to get gritty? Does that make it too loud for reasonable use at home?

The smaller 15 has a gain control would that help with keeping the volume down? 

Opinions and suggestions welcome :)

Also any suggestions for a suitable diminutive cab?

I have a PJB DoubleFour, which is perfect for my needs otherwise, but I'm not sure there's a way to bypass the amp and just use it as a cab. Is there a way to do that? 

Thanks

This is for playing bass at home?

Do you have a budget in mind?

There's no shortage of 60s/70s valve kit out there. I'm particularly partial to WEM, especially the late model Dominator 25 with the 15" Celestion. Expect to pay £300 - £500 for one in decent nick, but do bear in mind that you'll get your money back when you sell it.

If you do go vintage, include in your budget the cost of getting it checked out and serviced by a bona fide valve amp techy person, if only for peace of mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought a CTM30 and it makes a lovely sound but I don't think you're going to be able to push it into break up at home unless you like to rattle the windows. I've paired it with 1x12 cab and I'm running the master volume at around 9 O'clock, i.e, barely ticking over

On 14 November 2017 at 10:50, Bigwan said:

Not in a position to answer the CTM15 questions yet - but there is one incoming!

The LB30/CTM30 doesn't have a gain control - I found if I wanted mine gritty at lower volume I needed to boost the front end with a pedal.

How's the CTM15 working out ? 

On 14 November 2017 at 11:32, Happy Jack said:

This is for playing bass at home?

Do you have a budget in mind?

There's no shortage of 60s/70s valve kit out there. I'm particularly partial to WEM, especially the late model Dominator 25 with the 15" Celestion. Expect to pay £300 - £500 for one in decent nick, but do bear in mind that you'll get your money back when you sell it.

If you do go vintage, include in your budget the cost of getting it checked out and serviced by a bona fide valve amp techy person, if only for peace of mind.

Yes it'll be for use at home, purely for my own enjoyment at neighbour friendly volume levels. 

I don't have a budget as such. From what I've read and heard (online) a lot of valve amps sound at their best when they're pushed fairly hard at the output end. If such a thing existed to achieve that tone but at living room volume  and all the way up to on stage without changing the tone I'd be happy to pay for that. Say a B15, if I could that to perform at low volumes I'd probably get one, but I'd don't think it's achievable. I'm happy to be proved wrong though! 

Thanks for the WEM info. I've seen a few on EBay and like you say they can be picked up at reasonable prices. How are they at low volumes? 

On 25 November 2017 at 20:22, Phil_T said:

I've just bought a CTM30 and it makes a lovely sound but I don't think you're going to be able to push it into break up at home unless you like to rattle the windows. I've paired it with 1x12 cab and I'm running the master volume at around 9 O'clock, i.e, barely ticking over

Yeah that's the issue I think I'm going to have. 

I wonder if I'm better looking at pedal. 

Have you looked at the Hotone Nano heads?

Or then there's the Ampeg PF20 & PF50 valve heads.

Matamp still do the Minimat, head, though it is more of a guitar head, they will adapt it for bass use.

Remember though, valve 15 - 30w is still louder than Solid State 15 - 30w. It may be wise to invest in an attenuator as well (or find a head that has one incorporated into it already). An attenuator will make it easier to use cranked, however, you still need to let enough power through to power the speakers so the don't "crap out".

I've seen the nano heads in the past but never considered one. I'll have to check them out. 

Another thought was what about a guitar amp? There seems to be plenty of 5 watt versions of those around. Hmmmm 

4 minutes ago, Japhet said:

I think any valve head pushed to break up point will be too loud for home use. I'll chuck in one idea though which may be shot down in flames by those who know about such things though - how about a cab with a high Ohmage driver in it?

Not for a valve amp. Solid state, maybe. An inefficient driver would be the ticket.

I've yet to try the CTM15 unfortunately. Mad, mad busy the last few weeks... And I keep forgetting it's under my desk at work!!!

Are you able to build stuff, or know someone who can? There is this option for low power:

"VCB is a method for controlling the power supply voltages within a valve amplifier. By controlling this voltage, you can control the amplifier's power output. VCB provides a continuously controllable voltage, and you can rotate a knob to get as much or as little power output as you like. The reason why this is a popular upgrade for valve amplifiers is that you can get the amplifier's natural power valve distortion at much lower room volumes."

http://www.ampmaker.com/store/VCB-VVR-kit-for-cathode-biased-amplifiers-ZK02.html

There is a kit for a 4W amp on that website.

You have to remember that back in the 70s I was a bit younger and music was a bit louder, and we didn't have super efficient cabs like we do nowadays. I used to use the T&B 50 with a home-made (well, made in the woodwork class at school, really) 2x15 with a couple of Fane speakers. I later used it with a no-name 4x10 I picked up in Leeds when I got my student grant. Who needs food and books anyway??

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Get a DHA VT and use it with your current gear. For that traditional warm valve sound it`s the nearest I`ve heard.

Had one of those and liked it very much. I also really like the VT Bass for it's valve-y-ness. That and the fact it doesn't even pretend to have a valve in it, not even for marketing purposes, which is the usual reason. ;)

8 hours ago, Dazed said:

I've seen the nano heads in the past but never considered one. I'll have to check them out. 

Another thought was what about a guitar amp? There seems to be plenty of 5 watt versions of those around. Hmmmm 

I've just given my 15W Fender Super Champ a go through my bass cab and it's not too bad - with a bit eq'ing it would probably be OK. It's quite bass light as you'd expect from a guitar amp but that's not neccessarily a bad thing for home use and with my 8ohm cab it was getting towards it's limit at a fairly modest volume. I wouldn't buy one specially for this purpose unless it was really cheap (and the super champs aren't) - I think you're better off sticking with stuff made for bass

Edited by Phil_T

Ooh lots of interesting options! 

Did I mention I hate choice xD 

i have a BDI21 and I struggle to get much from it.... I think my hearing is ok. Maybe it's too subtle? Or am I missing a trick with it? 

I'll have to look up these different VT pedals. 

I had an amp with a valve pre years ago but I don't think that got me where I want to be now. Is it output drive/ break up I need? 

That's weird. I did reply but it's not here. 

It was a couple of years ago when I tried the BDI using a fresh battery. I think I tried the settings in a few positions but can't remember exactly. I need to dig it out but I think it's at another address at the moment.