Why become a member? ×

Chance to play in Rock n Roll Oldies Band..

Mickyk

Yeah, go for it.
I was asked to audtion for a similar band late last year, doing 2 sets 50's/60's RnR, 1 set Elvis, as the singer does solo Elvis tribute gigs..
As some have said, remembering all the stops is the hardest part.

http://www.rattledmusic.com/

The biggest difference I have noticed is when you gig with a classic rock pub band, every gig you have to prove yourselves. It's rare for the punters to be really enjoying it before half way through the second set.
With the RnR, the girls are usually up from the 1st number. They are there to enjoy themselves rather than be kinda critically cool.

Got some good gigs out of it as well, such as Monaco Ballroom, Cavern and we're at Glasgow's Grand Ole Opry on July 23rd.

The one thing I detest (it spoils it for me) is a different "uniform" for all three sets.
Enjoy :D

Edited by karlfer

70s music isn't Rock n Roll ?

man have I been doin it all wrong all these years :)

Are you a young fella or an old fogy like me?

If you are young, join the band, you will learn a lot and have a blast.

If you are over 45, life is too short to waste playing songs you don't like :)

We've been playing some of the songs in your set list for a number of years, they are classics.

Our first ever gig was a similar set and we just thought people would listen so practiced to the best of our ability (yes, those stops in a 'simple song' are important) and were gob smacked when the audience got up and danced right from the first few notes 'til the end of the evening.

Take the offer if it's made and enjoy.

I got a similar invitaton to join such a band last autumn when my mates band had the bass player leave. It's a weekly residency for an open mic night and we do some songs and back others. I'd never done that kind of music before as I'd normally be playing Jazz-funk, reggae, funk and Rnb but I thought it would be a good oportunity for me to overcome some comfort zone hangups by doing something new that I have no experience doing. Whilst none of it is music I'd listen to at home it's been good for me as a musician to do that and it's much less pressure than my other gigs.

I'd say take it, any opportunity you take to play you will learn something even if it points out areas of your playing to focus on. Playing regularly too is also a good way to become consistent and develop a style.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1499656336' post='3332744']
70s music isn't Rock n Roll ?

man have I been doin it all wrong all these years :)[/quote]

Depends on how you define rock & roll. There certainly were bands recording what I would call rock & roll in the 70s. However most of what I would call rock & roll was recorded in the 50s and 60s.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1499804385' post='3333784']
There certainly were bands recording what I would call rock & roll in the 70s.

Blue
[/quote]

Yeah, but on this side of the pond, everything went glam rock in the 70's with the likes of Slade, Sweet and T-Rex who had a much more powerful sound. The only bands playing 'real' rock n roll were the mighty Showaddywaddy...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9NKs3h1CS8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9NKs3h1CS8[/url]

Something I plan to do in my 60's if I can still play reasonably well - would love to just have an old school 50's type Fender P strung with flats playing stuff by the likes of Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Fats Domino etc..

Some really great 50's R&R bands on the circuit in the Sth East - The Kingcats, Greggi G, Vintage, The Jets, and The Roosters are all working regularly doing jive nights :)

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1500054867' post='3335418']
Something I plan to do in my 60's if I can still play reasonably well - would love to just have an old school 50's type Fender P strung with flats playing stuff by the likes of Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Fats Domino etc..

Some really great 50's R&R bands on the circuit in the Sth East - The Kingcats, Greggi G, Vintage, The Jets, and The Roosters are all working regularly doing jive nights :)
[/quote]

There's a decent size market for local bands playing 50s rock & roll in Millwaukee.

I really wish I could get in on it. Good gigs, good money and it's fun.

Particularly fun if your old enough to remember it. The genre even at 64 is a little before my time. However, I have clear memories of my Mom listening to it.

Blue

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1499986464' post='3335035']

Yeah, but on this side of the pond, everything went glam rock in the 70's with the likes of Slade, Sweet and T-Rex who had a much more powerful sound. The only bands playing 'real' rock n roll were the mighty Showaddywaddy...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9NKs3h1CS8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9NKs3h1CS8[/url]
[/quote]

That's not true... there was Darts as well! :) :D :D

http://youtu.be/R8vxGmPfuHQ

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1500054867' post='3335418']

[/quote]

I am hearing about 50s and 60s bands a lot in the last year. A resurgence? Or was it always so?

There has been a thriving 50s and early 60s r'nr and rockabilly scene in the UK for decades. Sadly it is now slowly withering on the vine as the folks from my generation and the one above me die off.
Work it out: earliest rock and roll recordings are from the late forties, so people in their teens then are now in their late eighties.
And of course every generation removed from the original has less and less connection with the original music played live by the original players.

I started very young - mid 50s - and there are very few players from even my era still on the scene.
Locally there is ONE active drummer and ONE active singer left.
I am teaching the only surviving local rhythm guitar player to play a bit of lead. We had played together in the very early sixties and he quit in 1964, only to take it back up again a year or so back. Quite an emotional experience in its own little way.
Only him, Jenny the second drummer and Bob the second bass player in his 60's band still alive & Jenny no longer plays. In her day she was a great little drummer though. Nothing fancy but rock solid. She told me a few months ago that she would have loved to be "one of those drummers who could do solos" and never really realised at the time how well respected she was. Again she stopped playing seriously in around 1964/5.

Edited by ivansc

Yes. The 50s and 60s band that I sometimes mention had problems that were mounting up. Of the core group only two were around and performing in the nineteen fifties. The guitarist was stone deaf and the singer was on a round of chemo therapy that, thankfully, worked for him.

Don't get me wrong. I was pleased as punch that they wanted me to practice with them let alone perform. I just couldn't guarantee my commitment to weekly practice due to my own problems at the time. It would've been unfair on them to keep my foot in the door, so to speak, so I politely declined both times that they offered me bassist.

I hope they've got up and running again as they were planning to.

Hope you've started learning the songs & rehearsing with the band and hope it's working out for you.
As you're a "dep" I don't think you should get bored - particularly as you're quite new to playing...

Maybe join another project too - a start-up band, playing more of your favoured genre
If I were you, I'd be pleased that experienced musicians have asked you to do this....
And you will learn far more, playing in a tight, established band than you would in a band of newbies, or just playing on your own

Let us know how you get on, and best of luck

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1500808814' post='3340255']
There has been a thriving 50s and early 60s r'nr and rockabilly scene in the UK for decades. Sadly it is now slowly withering on the vine as the folks from my generation and the one above me die off.
Work it out: earliest rock and roll recordings are from the late forties, so people in their teens then are now in their late eighties.
And of course every generation removed from the original has less and less connection with the original music played live by the original players.

I started very young - mid 50s - and there are very few players from even my era still on the scene.
Locally there is ONE active drummer and ONE active singer left.
I am teaching the only surviving local rhythm guitar player to play a bit of lead. We had played together in the very early sixties and he quit in 1964, only to take it back up again a year or so back. Quite an emotional experience in its own little way.
Only him, Jenny the second drummer and Bob the second bass player in his 60's band still alive & Jenny no longer plays. In her day she was a great little drummer though. Nothing fancy but rock solid. She told me a few months ago that she would have loved to be "one of those drummers who could do solos" and never really realised at the time how well respected she was. Again she stopped playing seriously in around 1964/5.
[/quote]

Nice commentary on the genre Ivan

Blue