Why become a member? ×

Basschat Member Shame

seashell

Yes, alright. It was me. A girl got up to do some singing, had a nice soulful kind of voice and had called out Chain Of Fools. To me it was a natural progression to move on to Mustang. In my defence, it was the ONLY time the whole night that any of the few punters present got up to dance. I've always said that on the rare occasions i play it I always enjoy doing it and last night was no exeption. Rather that than another rendition of Stormy Monday etc. The day I'm ashamed of trying to get a bit of atmos going and entertain folks is probaby the day I hang up the bass for good. :lol:

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1495795022' post='3306646']
Yes, alright. It was me. A girl got up to do some singing, had a nice soulful kind of voice and had called out Chain Of Fools. To me it was a natural progression to move on to Mustang. In my defence, it was the ONLY time the whole night that any of the few punters present got up to dance. I've always said that on the rare occasions i play it I always enjoy doing it and last night was no exeption. Rather that than another rendition of Stormy Monday etc. The day I'm ashamed of trying to get a bit of atmos going and entertain folks is probaby the day I hang up the bass for good. :lol:
[/quote]

Ha ha, he admits it! I think on the whole that BC is inclined to forgive you

And I will admit to playing Hey Joe at the same jam. But in my defence, they made me do it m'lud. :D

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1495782258' post='3306466']
An eminent BC member rocks up to my local Blues Jam last night. He gets up and plays a couple with the regulars. Then HE ASKS to do Mustang Sally!!

I think he should now be given the opportunity to come along here and explain himself. And to beg forgiveness from the BC collective

:D :D :D
[/quote]

Whats your point? Are people not allowed to like this song because other people dont?.

And going to a blues Jam must be like playing Mustang Sally all night to a room full of these bass players anyway. Give me MS any night of the week over 10mins long blues w***s.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1495806395' post='3306770']

Whats your point? Are people not allowed to like this song because other people dont?.

And going to a blues Jam must be like playing Mustang Sally all night to a room full of these bass players anyway. Give me MS any night of the week over 10mins long blues w***s.
[/quote]

My point is to take the piss out of an old mate. :-)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1495795022' post='3306646']
[/quote]

Sounds like a good choice.

It always kills me when people here on BC complain about songs that people in an everyday audience actually like enough to sing along to and get up and dance.

Maybe we should all play really obscure jazz that people hate so we can go off and smirk at how much cleverer and musically hip we are.

Of course, our audience would end up being just us playing to/with ourselves . . . 😂

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1495808084' post='3306791']

It always kills me when people here on BC complain about songs that people in an everyday audience actually like enough to sing along to and get up and dance.

Maybe we should all play really obscure jazz that people hate so we can go off and smirk at how much cleverer and musically hip we are.

Of course, our audience would end up being just us playing to/with ourselves . . .
[/quote]

Well said. couldn't agree more. I like (although not love) playing the song, and have no issues playing it if asked to at a gig. Im there to entertain and i dont care if anyone on here thinks is embarrassing or not.

Of course, our audience would end up being just us playing to/with ourselves . . . 😂
[/quote]

As above-give 'em what they want, they're paying for the band.Some people want to hear originals or something obscure but most want/like to hear things they know and can hum/dance/sing along with.
My band is basically a "jazz standards" band but depending on the situation we will play anything from jazz to old rock and blues to waltzes and latin dance music and sometimes "wallpaper music" at banquets and receptions.We play lots of the stuff WE want to play and and fill out sets with "crowd pleasers".When playing some small venues we sometimes hand out copies of our playlist(over 140 songs on the list and that doesn't include our "dance" stuff) and let the audience choose part of the last set-fun for them and it keeps us on our toes.The jazz gigs are fun but so are the others, you've got to be flexible.If you're not enjoying what you play get into a band that suits you and find or build a new audience for your music.

Of course, our audience would end up being just us playing to/with ourselves . . .
[/quote]
Quick, let me get my pedals. Wanna hear my ambient whale noise version of Mustang Barry?

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1495809524' post='3306802']
Chill guys, 'shell posted in good humour. We'd had a laugh about it after the jam last night.
[/quote]

I dont really have a problem, but when someone ridicules a song i like i prefer to stand up for it, especially when said person has gone to a Blues Jam as if thats ok lol.

Signing off this one now.

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1495810807' post='3306813']
Wow, this morning this thread was just a light-hearted giggle between two mates (and the rest of BC) about an old running-gag. Suddenly it's gone all serious. What happened?
[/quote]

Basschat at its best!!