Why become a member? ×

How To Avoid Getting Sacked

blue

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1493934039' post='3292038']
Do your research if at all possible before joining a band so that you know the exact requirements.
[/quote]

Agreed,

However, I do think there are certain areas where you can be blind sided.

I would also suggest that in addition to understanding the requirements of the band, the band meets your requirements. In other words know exactly what you are looking for in a band.

If your married make sure you have 100% committment from your wife.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1493935900' post='3292053']
In my case, it's a matter of learning not to criticize the bloke who's band it is about his playing😂
[/quote]

Agreed,

Leschirons even if your playing and execution is flawless criticism of others is generally not a good idea. Especially if you've joined an established working band and it's your primary source of income.

I make plenty of mistakes.There is no way I would ever critisize a band mates playing.

Blue

Edited by blue

Everyone gets sacked at some point. You might stand a chance if you own the van, the PA or band name. You can be best mates or the greatest bassist they've ever seen but if your face doesn't fit and someone wants you gone, there's nothing that can save you.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1493936674' post='3292058']
There is no way I would ever critisize a band mates playing.

[/quote]

c'mon us bass players are ALWAYS critical of the drummist.....you know the way they speed up, especially through the rolls - getting to the 1 a fraction early all the time....no?

Is it just me?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1493944194' post='3292099']
Everyone gets sacked at some point. You might stand a chance if you own the van, the PA or band name. You can be best mates or the greatest bassist they've ever seen but if your face doesn't fit and someone wants you gone, there's nothing that can save you.
[/quote]

Very astute comment Chris. I agree. You never know.

And while I get on quite well with my band members of 5+ years, I still keep my distance.

Blue

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1493944802' post='3292101']

c'mon us bass players are ALWAYS critical of the drummist.....you know the way they speed up, especially through the rolls - getting to the 1 a fraction early all the time....no?

Is it just me?
[/quote]

It's not just you Twignan. I deal with the same traditional drummer issues, however I would never vocalize it.

Remember, I do this for a living and subscribe to the "keep my mouth shut" doctrine.😀

Blue

How about asking these questions, after you've been offered an opportunity;

1. What is the band doing right now?

2. What will the band be doing over or during the next 6 months?

Now, we'll all be looking for different responses. But, we should all share this.

A logical, coherent, short articulate answer to both questions.

Blue

Edited by blue

I know a fantastic bass player who was sacked by the management because he was "too ugly" and a guitarist because he was "too fat". A drummer I know has just been kicked off a tour because the band leaders son wants to play drums.

Some people are the authors of their own misfortune and many are not.

Just make sure your networking is good enough so that being fired doesn't matter.

Form your own band and be the leader. Make sure you have a bug in the rehearsal space toilet so you can pre empt any whispered attempts to oust you, the leader.

Make the other musicians sign a watertight contract agreeing the band is yours and you make all the final decisions. That should do it. :D

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1493967058' post='3292148']
I know a fantastic bass player who was sacked by the management because he was "too ugly" [b]and a guitarist because he was "too fat".[/b] A drummer I know has just been kicked off a tour because the band leaders son wants to play drums.

Just make sure your networking is good enough so that being fired doesn't matter.
[/quote]

Thats awful, but on a lighter note, do you think the Stones would have remained as popular and as great a live draw if they had not been skinny whippets? This is completely my opinion, and should be taken with a large pinch of salt, but I think bands in there 60s+ can get away with it if they are still skinny, but old fat bands just dont look cool. Its purely from a Rock and Roll perspective and nothing to do with the quality of the music, merely aesthetics.

Just be better than anyone else. Your job is to play and perform. Work hard , respect your band and the fact that they may have differing views. If you can't do that it's not about being a musician its about your own problems.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1493969028' post='3292161']
Form your own band and be the leader. Make sure you have a bug in the rehearsal space toilet so you can pre empt any whispered attempts to oust you, the leader.

Make the other musicians sign a watertight contract agreeing the band is yours and you make all the final decisions. That should do it. :D
[/quote]
I tried that. Ended up sacking myself from the band!

One thing to check... What are they expecting & can you commit & be reliable?

I've never given it a minute's thought in any band I've played in. If they don't like the way I play then that's tough, because that's the way I play. It would be a pretty dick move to sack someone for playing in the exact same way they that did when you offered them the gig. I don't do this for the ££ though. It's all about the creative situation and it's generally pretty clear to all parties when that isn't working. Aside from that, although I will always express my opinion, I do try to be polite about it, but as above, if I'm continually finding things I disagree with, them I'm probably in the wrong band anyway and already trawling the 'bass player wanted' ads.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1493967058' post='3292148']
I know a fantastic bass player who was sacked by the management because he was "too ugly" and a guitarist because he was "too fat". A drummer I know has just been kicked off a tour because the band leaders son wants to play drums.

[/quote]

I'd have been sacked on both counts.....oh and i'm not a fantastic bass player either. Proficient but not fantastic.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1493969714' post='3292167']

Sorry blue, but I just find this remark very strange. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I could never be in a band situation where I was made to feel this way.

For me, it's 100% about the music and if I think something isn't right, it gets vocalised.
[/quote]

I understand and I wish things were different.

I'm in a situation where I can't afford to bring any type of friction to the band.

Blue

Even though I might be told that a song is to be learned per the recording, and I copy down the outline per the recording, come first practice, if it deviates, I'll mention it if it diverges, but l always ask if they want to change the arrangement. I don't care. My job is to enhance their vision of the song. Where they lead, I follow.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1493961782' post='3292117']
How about asking these questions, after you've been offered an opportunity;

1. What is the band doing right now?

2. What will the band be doing over or during the next 6 months?

Now, we'll all be looking for different responses. But, we should all share this.

A logical, coherent, short articulate answer to both questions.

Blue
[/quote]

For example they're response might be;

"We're not doing anything right now."

"We won't be doing anything but jamming once or twice a week to get an idea on how our styles blend for the next 6 months"

That wouldn't be for me or many others here. However, for the guy that struggling to find people to play with it might be a perfect match."

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1493969714' post='3292167']

Sorry blue, but I just find this remark very strange. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I could never be in a band situation where I was made to feel this way.

For me, it's 100% about the music and if I think something isn't right, it gets vocalised.
[/quote]
Unfortunately there are plenty of bands out there just like that, where only input from one or two members are welcome.

It doesn't sit too well with me either - I'm pretty opinionated and don't like holding my tongue, but I have done just that on occasion

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1493976261' post='3292237']
Even though I might be told that a song is to be learned per the recording, and I copy down the outline per the recording, come first practice, if it deviates, I'll mention it if it diverges, but l always ask if they want to change the arrangement. I don't care. My job is to enhance their vision of the song. Where they lead, I follow.
[/quote]

Enhancement should always be welcome by any band. Hopefully you both share the same opinion of enhancement

Blue