Why become a member? ×

How To Avoid Getting Sacked

blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1493977598' post='3292263']

Unfortunately there are plenty of bands out there just like that, where only input from one or two members are welcome.

It doesn't sit too well with me either - I'm pretty opinionated and don't like holding my tongue, but I have done just that on occasion
[/quote]

Agreed,

Unfortunately it's a great example of what happens and the down side when you're dependent on the money the band generates monthly.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1493977598' post='3292263']
Unfortunately there are plenty of bands out there just like that, where only input from one or two members are welcome.

It doesn't sit too well with me either - I'm pretty opinionated and don't like holding my tongue, but I have done just that on occasion
[/quote]

Agreed. For me a real band, as in pro attitude and input from all, is an amalgamation of its parts. Even playing covers, the different input from the different players can make an old standard sound new and fresh. For me music is about creativity and we all bring what we have to the party. If the way I play is not a fit then I need to find another party. If you dont want a musicians input then tell them at audition time, "we make the decisions and you play what we want you to play" If that's acceptable to the musician then all is fine. Not for me though.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1493978339' post='3292272']

Agreed. For me a real band, as in pro attitude and input from all, is an amalgamation of its parts. Even playing covers, the different input from the different players can make an old standard sound new and fresh. For me music is about creativity and we all bring what we have to the party. If the way I play is not a fit then I need to find another party. If you dont want a musicians input then tell them at audition time, "we make the decisions and you play what we want you to play" If that's acceptable to the musician then all is fine. Not for me though.
[/quote]

Understood, it's not an environment for everyone The input question is one any serious player should ask before joining a band.

Blue

Edited by blue

To avoid getting sacked if joining or deping for an established band:

Be confident in everything you play ( and because all your learning was done at home ,you are).
Know what you are doing.
Be friendly.
Go with the flow.
Don't join in with any existing band politics.
Be on time.
Offer help with load in/outs.
Keep it humble.
Don't be afraid to ask for directions but only give em if asked.
Fit in.
Be clean mentally and physically.
Get a sense of the image dress wise and go with (within reason). ie: dont turn up like your going to a football match for a wedding gig.
Be adaptable.

Avoid sacking from an existing band:

Same as above but keep the moral high ground at all times.
Only let someone else know about where they are going wrong if,and only if you have your house in order.

I was in a band with a right ego on guitar, which was a very regular and very well paid gig. The guy was a dick and not going to change, so I either accepted this and got on with it or I could of kicked up. Kicking up would have = sack. The benefits outweighed the egotistical challenges so I adapted accordingly.

I don't think there's a definitive right or wrong here.

I'm far more used to playing with mates, or mates of mates in new bands, doing original songs, and the thought of playing stuff I don't like and having no input into what we're doing turns me off completely. For all that i can appreciate what Blue says about it being his job, it's not for me (but I know people who are fine with that- oddly most seem to be drummers who are happy to be counting to four and hitting things and don't seem to much care what everybody else is doing). But I like input and even some healthy friction to drive stuff forward.

But the two most healthy bands I've been in were at extreme ends of the spectrum. One was a load of men of a certain age who were all mates (in fact I only knew one of them when i joined, as the guitarist - I'm a pretty average guitarist but was regarded as some musical genius compared to their original one which says a lot about the standard of playing, but the others then became some of my closest mates) playing covers just for the joy of getting out and playing. No hissy fits or tantrums, no talking behind the back of the somewhat limited bass player and singer (it was punk rock, attitude is just as important as tuning, right?) just a really enjoyable experience for all concerned. Gigged as regularly as we wanted for about five years and then life intervened and the band drifted apart. There was in fact one sacking - carried out by me - when the original bass player who had needed to take a break for family reasons wanted to come back, and we'd got a mate of mine in to cover so i just had a very polite chat with him and he completely understood.

At the other end, my last band had what probably appeared to outsiders to be a completely toxic working relationship. Everybody said exactly what they thought about everything - didn't like the song, didn't like what somebody else was playing, though the arrangement was poor, and in the case of the two guitarists just telling each other just how awful all of their playing was. Had the band not folded because of the singers addiction problems we'd still be going now - it worked utterly brilliantly because it was all kept to the studio and everybody knew that it was about the music (not that we didn't throw insults about but they were all recognised as being banter) and then we'd go out drinking after practices without the need to go on about band niggles. Threre was far more complaints about band members who didn't come out drinking than there were about playing issues. I'm not saying that there weren't issues (the singer being the largest of them) but there was never any thoughts of getting rid of anybody (again, the singer apart, and in fact we put up with him for much longer than he deserved) We were all of the required standard and valued exactly what everybody else brought to the band.

Edited by Monkey Steve

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1493936674' post='3292058']

Agreed,

Leschirons even if your playing and execution is flawless criticism of others is generally not a good idea. Especially if you've joined an established working band and it's your primary source of income.

I make plenty of mistakes.There is no way I would ever critisize a band mates playing.

Blue
[/quote]

I didn't join an existing band Blue. It started as a bunch of mates wanting to play the odd charity gig and they were short of a bass player and asked me.

I had no problem with any of that as I was already in two other working bands as drums and guitar so playing bass was going to be a bit of fun for me. However, when they suddenly decided to get proper paid gigs as the band were going down well, I pointed out that they would ALL need to up their game, put the work in before rehearsals and deliver a pro performance if they're charging a fee.

Unfortunately, because they were getting rave reviews from the locals in the village, they believed their own publicity and all thought we were at the top of our game. Only the keyboard player understood, and the drummer and both guitarists never properly learned 80% of the setlist.

Hence, after a gig, I would bring up the subject of performance quality. Not bum notes, but mistakes due to not learning the material properly. This "wanting the band to be better" earned me the name Dr Doom as their attitude was,"if they're clapping and shouting for more, we must be really good"

I put up with that for 13 years before walking and they were glad to see the back of me.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1493984856' post='3292364']
Make sure any dep you ask to step in for you is not a better musician with more band mates than you!
[/quote]

Or blonde, if you catch my drift.

If I ever for one second found myself thinking "Hmm, that sounds wrong but I'd better not say anything in case I get fired", I'd know for a fact I was in the wrong band and would probably leave anyway.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1494076813' post='3293057']
If I ever for one second found myself thinking "Hmm, that sounds wrong but I'd better not say anything in case I get fired", I'd know for a fact I was in the wrong band and would probably leave anyway.
[/quote]

I always find myself saying,"that sounds wrong" then thinking if I make waves and get sacked, how will I pay my bills.

I don't like it, I'm just not willing to take the chance. Plus, my playing and singing is far from perfect.

Working bands with a book of business are practically impossible to find in my area.

Blue

Edited by blue