Why become a member? ×

Recommendations and reasons please!

Yukimajou

I am gassing for a P Bass (I only have an Epi T'Bird at the mo), and was wondering if it's worth getting the [url="http://shop.fender.com/en-GB/squier-electric-basses/precision-bass/squier-classic-vibe-p-bass-70s/0303090506.html#cgid=%09squier-electric-basses&start=1"]Squier Classic Vibe[/url] for £440 or spend a couple of hundred more on a [url="http://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric-basses/precision-bass/standard-precision-bass/0146100502.html#start=1"]MiM Fender P Bass[/url]? I don't have the option of going to try them both out, which is why I am seeking advice here. I know Squier are the budget range, but I actually prefer Epi to Gibson, so prestige isn't an issue here.

Thanks.

If it was me I would hold on until you find a good deal on a MIM Precision. Deals do come up every now and again. But I'm the sort of person who, assuming the spec I want is available, would rather have a Fender Precision bass than a copy of a Fender Precision bass, licensed or not. YMMV.

It's interesting, I bought a MIM Jazz a few years ago and it was without a doubt the worst bass I have ever played, my 1985 Hondo (2nd hand) would have destroyed it. On the other hand, every Japanese Fender I have ever played has been awesome. US models overpriced so I would go Japanese...

Edited by Defo

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1493825021' post='3291019']
If you buy a used bass you can get an MIM for less than £400.
Does it need to be new?
[/quote]

+1

The best Precision(s) i've had in my hands were two Classic 50's MIM basses. Only sold both as i use 5 strings verytime. Light, comfortable and great sounding basses that cost(ed) what i considered to be a fair price for the product. Would be my first choice if i ever find myself in need of a P.

I've owned/bought loads of basses, including some great instruments. Never bought a new one that I've been happy with; I've always ended up sending them back. A new one is on it's way now from Thomann. Almost expecting already that it'll end up going back.

I would go with the mim Fender. Only because the hardware is slightly better than on the Squier, even the top end Squier versions have similar quality hardware to the lower end ones. Which is useable and works but not as durable as the Mexican Fender hardware in my opinion. Other than that they will be very similar. Well the mim has a very small incremental step up in electronics too.

I've owned a few mim basses and a higher end squier. I think the small step up is worth the extra money. Resale value wise obviously anything with Fender on will hold its value better too.
The classic vibes are nice instruments though and it will play just as well as a mim fender.

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1493821718' post='3290965']
Don't discount a Japanese Fender. The US derivations have alder bodies and US pickups. Probably less than the MIM and a bit cheaper too.
[/quote]
Sound advice from a man who knows his Jap Fenders VERY well!

You can get a MiM precision on gumtree for a lot less than £400. Just need to be patient. On the other hand - there's a lovely MiM classic 50's Precision for £470 listed on here.
I would go Japanese though. Best basses I've played in my life were made in Japan.

I tried a few of those classic vibe 70's P's earlier in the year - didn't like any of them; they feel & up-close-look cheap. I know they are moderately cheap but I don't think they represent the kind of bargains the previous iteration from Squire were, disappointing because I really wanted to like them so I had some spare money to spend on something else!

Out of the two I'd go for the MiM but as others have said; used is often the better route to go & the classic 50's ones are awesome.

FWIW one of my main p basses (depends who I'm playing with) is a highway 1, made in USA, painted in Mexico, assembled in USA

I love mine, badass bridge, American standard parts, greasebucket tone circuit (if that's your thing) alder body, thin satin finish cheaper than American standards but pretty much same instrument bar a couple of minor differences i.e. No string though body option but then it does have a badass II on it.....!!

They don't come up for sale VERY often but they do appear, I bought mine used for £450 which is about the going rate

Worth a lookout for your budget I would say.....

Edited by donslow

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1493950626' post='3292108']
FWIW one of my main p basses (depends who I'm playing with) is a highway 1, made in USA, painted in Mexico, assembled in USA

I love mine, badass bridge, American standard parts, greasebucket tone circuit (if that's your thing) alder body, thin satin finish cheaper than American standards but pretty much same instrument bar a couple of minor differences i.e. No string though body option but then it does have a badass II on it.....!!

They don't come up for sale VERY often but they do appear, I bought mine used for £450 which is about the going rate

Worth a lookout for your budget I would say.....
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. I see reverb.com has one listed, but it's in the US, and the seller has, shall we be kind and say, modified it.

[url="https://reverb.com/item/4833050-fender-american-highway-one-precision-bass-2003-custom-finish"]https://reverb.com/i...3-custom-finish[/url]

Edited by Yukimajou

[quote name='Yukimajou' timestamp='1493970701' post='3292172']

Thanks for the tip. I see reverb.com has one listed, but it's in the US, and the seller has, shall we be kind and say, modified it.

[url="https://reverb.com/item/4833050-fender-american-highway-one-precision-bass-2003-custom-finish"]https://reverb.com/i...3-custom-finish[/url]

[/quote]

That is monstrous.....

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1494014315' post='3292675']
That is monstrous.....
[/quote]
Nothing that a couple of cans of Halfords matt black couldn't fix!

Speaking of Matt, a Squier Matt Freeman sig or indeed a Vintage V4 Tony Butler would be very cost effective alternatives if you can find one in the classifieds here or elsewhere.

Ive only ever owned 2 MIM's, and both were horrible to play.

I did gig a Squier CVP for about 3-4 years with no issues at all. Must have done well over 100 gigs with it. In fact i still have it and it works perfectly. To me the neck feels like one of the most comfortable P necks ive ever played (apart from my Sanblasted P neck). Very slim and finished in a nice gloss.
The only thing ive not liked about the CV's is the bridge spacing. The HM bridges are 20mm between string centres, as opposed to 19mm that i find more comfortable. A Gotoh 201 sorts that out though.