Why become a member? ×

how do you choose for a producer?

hi guys , how do you choose/find the right producer for your music? and how much do you spend ?
just asking as we are writing album 2 and first album did very well but we wanna move from a more organic acoustic sound to something a bit more experimental so we have tried couple of guys but still not happy with sound at all
Antonio

I'd second what markstuk said.

I've studied music production, and I've produced a few bands myself and it's not entirely clear to what you want from a producer. the basic sound of what you are trying to accomplish should be there. otherwise would not be time or cost effective to get one.

as for picking one, there isn't much standardized here, so you should first sit down with any candidates you may have and see if you like each other, if he has a way of conveying bad critic that works for you and if you can agree on a work schedule.

it's all trial and error. enjoy it while you can.

Is it not the writing, the arrangements, and instrumentation that will decide if the music is more "experimental"? Conversely, If there is something out there already that sounds like its in the ballpark, find out who produced it. I dont thing the producer is the main factor in this.

The Oldfield Branson relationship seems to have worked well enough in the final sum of things. I mean, if Tubular Bells wasn't experimental in its day what [i]was[/i]? Maybe you should to talk to a teen entrepreneur.

I am not entirely serious of course but there is precedent.

What do you want from your producer?

Is it just someone to make you recordings sound technically great in the way that you envisage them?

Is it someone who is going to cajole/bully the best performances out of the band?

Is it someone who is going to take a long hard look/listen to your current set of songs and then make changes to to them in at least arrangement if not the actual songwriting itself?

Is is a combination of any/all of the above?

As others have said, the best way to find a suitable producer is to find recordings in a similar vein to where you see the band heading and find out who produced those and approaching them.

As for price, I have no idea, but I would expect anyone any good to be wanting to make a living wage (at the very least) from what they are charging.

It would also help if you posted a link for your first album so that we can take a listen and may be able to suggest recordings that you should be listening to.

when we did it, we highlighted who we wanted to sound like, and who produces either bands like that, or those bands in particular.

when we got that, we ironed out what we wanted and how we wanted to do it. then it was who would work with us best in that, and then had a chat with some of our top choices and ended up going with the one who combined a lot of the above.

it shouldn't be a matter of oh there's a producer here lets use him. you want to hear examples of their work, and see if it matches what you want to sound like, talk to them, see how they work and how they would work with you. you want to know the guy will work for the sound you want, and importantly if they want to to work with you. some might not, and will just ride you for the money, but if you speak to them, they may be upfront and say "its not my bag, i can't do you a good service".

price wise. we recorded a 4 track EP over 5 days a few years ago. we recorded to tape and stayed over there too, cost us around 1500/1600 quid i think

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1493809452' post='3290790']
Depends how you wish to work with someone, but as you mention sound primarily, is it just an engineer you want?

[/quote]beat me too it, if you know your songs well in advance (recommended unless you want to waste a lot of expensive studio time) it's just an engineer you want, a good one will ask you what/who you want to sound like and get you there, we used the same one and got a different sound out of our two albums because I insisted on a more ballsy sound for the second one, they're both on spotify, Verbal Warning

When we recorded our 2nd album we made the choice based upon having listened to a few of our fave bands, and having really liked the production on their albums found out it was the same guy. Decision made - provided we could afford it of course.