Why become a member? ×

Ad pulled from Gumtree (Ric and not so much Ric content)

Studio GC

I had my Rockinbetter up for sale on Gumtree, it lasted a week until it was pulled by what I presume are the pressures of the Ric police.

What I find annoying about this is that my purchase of the Rockinbetter led me to purchase a new Rickenbacker 2017 FG 4003s. I got the Rockinbetter and realised ergonomically it works well for me and sound wise it sounds pretty darn great. It left me wondering, what a real Ric would sound like that led to my new purchase of the real deal.

I understand the reasoning for pulling a faker add, but I didn't think it would happen on Gumtree. Rant over.

Surprised the ad got pulled. If it was for the "trademark" thing ? Well RIC missed the boat on that years back or there wouldn't be a Rockinbetter in the first place.
Just put the ad back up. The Ric police's mum has probably called them in for their tea by now :lol:

Have you tried advertising it on the RickenFakers Facebook Group?

Its possibly the only place left to advertise and sensibly discuss Faker's.

All the debacle about selling on Faker's made me think long and hard before I bought mine, but as the only possible replacement for a Ric (I had to sell my old 4003), I had kind of decided that whatever happens, I'd be keeping it for quite some time to come! I still want a Ric, but I'm unlikely to get one any time soon, where my Faker was affordable, highly playable, and now, virtually unsellable! ;) :D

I'd say that you should keep your Rockinbetter as a backup if nothing else. At the end of the day, they're still superb basses in their own right.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1491732274' post='3275029']
Have you tried advertising it on the RickenFakers Facebook Group?

Its possibly the only place left to advertise and sensibly discuss Faker's.

All the debacle about selling on Faker's made me think long and hard before I bought mine, but as the only possible replacement for a Ric (I had to sell my old 4003), I had kind of decided that whatever happens, I'd be keeping it for quite some time to come! I still want a Ric, but I'm unlikely to get one any time soon, where my Faker was affordable, highly playable, and now, virtually unsellable! ;) :D

I'd say that you should keep your Rockinbetter as a backup if nothing else. At the end of the day, they're still superb basses in their own right.
[/quote]

Thanks for the Facebook idea for Ric Fakes. I'll check it out......Just need to get on Facebook.

It's also for sale on ebay, I've had some low ball offers, but considering I have Gemini pick ups in it and a new harness (with push/pull) I should probably just keep it.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1491727129' post='3274985']
And here lies the reason why I will never buy a Ric, genuine or fake.

The options available to be able to sell are too limited.
[/quote]

Same here, Rich. The way this fellow polices his brand, well he`s not getting any of my money. I don`t see the Fender Precision or Jazz decimated by copies, either cheapor more expensive.

Going after fakes is fine by me but going after things just because of a similar vibe is out of order. A lot of the time it's strong arm tactics that wouldn't stand up in court but the companies can't afford the legal battle.

I do find the Ric police minions highly amusing though :lol:

Rockinbetters are pulled in all the selling places apart from facebook groups, Mr Hall is good at strong-arming and none of the big companies can be bothered with a fight, so they get pulled.

Its not just new things, it is old ones that were made long before he started looking.

I think it is good to get rid of fakes, not when they are clearly not trying to be fakes.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1491736852' post='3275068']
What does seem odd is that Ric refuse to enter the more affordable market. There is a desire for Rics from those who can't afford the premium (and only) models, so without another offering from the company itself, there is a market for copies. Perhaps filling the void would be an effective antidote, help the company's current image and exposure, and bring them a few more pennies in the process. I know that if the were a 'Squier' to their 'Fender' I'd have tried one by now!
[/quote]

Not their market and they don't care, they are happy being a small company making the number of basses they have. They have more than enough market to keep going. As it is a private company they don't have to expand, and they can stay the size they are.

Of all the things that I dislike about Ric the company, that one I have some respect for - I think the decline of most industries is this crazy desire to expand at all costs.

Jus Lukin

A mate of mine took the plunge after many years of want :) . Says it took trying loads of different strings before finding the right set but it was well worth the effort. May sound like a lot of work but why should good things be easy :lol:

Hell fire I'm in a positive mood today.

I would love a ric just for the sake of having one but a knock off fake is the only thing I could ever afford
What i dont get is why rics are so expensive when there are ppl out there with Chickenbackers, Chinesebackers and Rockingbetters who say they can not fault their instrument?
I appreciate there is some better build quality but does that justify the price?

[quote name='Big Uli' timestamp='1491747129' post='3275127']
I would love a ric just for the sake of having one but a knock off fake is the only thing I could ever afford
What i dont get is why rics are so expensive when there are ppl out there with Chickenbackers, Chinesebackers and Rockingbetters who say they can not fault their instrument?
I appreciate there is some better build quality but does that justify the price?
[/quote]

I'm not speaking from experience (yet), but when you compare the new range of American Fender P and J basses, they are close to Ric pricing, so it becomes more apples and oranges when you start looking at basses over £1300

The Rockinbetter is a good bass. Good at around £300 or so. But it still doesn't have a maple body and the harness had wimpy pots and the pickups aren't close to a real Ric.

It's always baffled me why Rickenbacker haven't brought out a "lower priced, offshore sourced" versions of their instruments. If they actively worked with the factory and made sure that build quality and everything was right, then what's the problem? That approach seems to have worked very well for PRS with the SE range, as well as Fender, Gibson, G&L, Music Man etc. But it would seem that Mr Hall's patriotism will only allow him to build instruments in the good old U.S. of A.

I still think that the Rockinbetter is one of the better copies out there, though a 70's MIJ Faker would be closer still.

Studio GC, how do those Gemini pickups sound?

Edited by Skybone

[quote name='Studio GC' timestamp='1491750365' post='3275142']
I'm not speaking from experience (yet), but when you compare the new range of American Fender P and J basses, they are close to Ric pricing, so it becomes more apples and oranges when you start looking at basses over £1300

The Rockinbetter is a good bass. Good at around £300 or so. But it still doesn't have a maple body and the harness had wimpy pots and the pickups aren't close to a real Ric.
[/quote]

Crazy money
All my gear together doesn't even come close to that and it does everything I want it to do

If you get seriously into it then get gear that expensive
After all my first airgun was cheap Chinese made rifle
Bought 1200 and sold on quid target guns since then

Yes I know. I am officially stupid :D

[quote name='Big Uli' timestamp='1491753176' post='3275164']
Crazy money
All my gear together doesn't even come close to that and it does everything I want it to do

If you get seriously into it then get gear that expensive
After all my first airgun was cheap Chinese made rifle
Bought 1200 and sold on quid target guns since then

Yes I know. I am officially stupid :D
[/quote]
I know, my 50's P Bass (MIM) serves me just fine (purchased used for £400), but why should I let that stop me from seeing if the Ric is the holy grail? The price I paid for the Ric means I can sell it for a profit here in the UK.

I am breaking my own rules though, that I always say £600 is plenty of money to find a good gigging bass. But if the Ric blows me away I can live with the price as I'm only a two bass person (one decent and one back up).

Edit: And...you do know, I am the bassist for Carnaby Army don't you? :rolleyes:

Edited by Studio GC

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1491750641' post='3275146']
It's always baffled me why Rickenbacker haven't brought out a "lower priced, offshore sourced" versions of their instruments. If they actively worked with the factory and made sure that build quality and everything was right, then what's the problem? That approach seems to have worked very well for PRS with the SE range, as well as Fender, Gibson, G&L, Music Man etc. But it would seem that Mr Hall's patriotism will only allow him to build instruments in the good old U.S. of A.

I still think that the Rockinbetter is one of the better copies out there, though a 70's MIJ Faker would be closer still.

Studio GC, how do those Gemini pickups sound?
[/quote]

Re: Gemini Pick ups. Honestly, the jury is still out on those. I'm trying to figure out why they sound a bit muffled. I'm almost convinced I liked the sound better of the stock Rockinbetter pick ups.

I don't want to trash Gemini, as I believe they a good product and it was very good dealing with them (him?). I did tell him I wanted more bottom end ala P bass and he recommended the Tsunami's (which I ended up getting). Maybe I should have gone with the Waverider's which are more vintage Ric sounding. If I keep the Rockinbetter I might try the Waverider's.

I also have a Rickysounds harness with push/pull (vintage/modern) switch which was a worthwhile upgrade.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1491733643' post='3275051']

Same here, Rich. The way this fellow polices his brand, well he`s not getting any of my money. I don`t see the Fender Precision or Jazz decimated by copies, either cheapor more expensive.
[/quote]

People always cite Fender as the business model to copy (pun intended) regarding John Hall and a possible Squier version yet Fender are $246 million in debt?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1491762525' post='3275218']
People always cite Fender as the business model to copy (pun intended) regarding John Hall and a possible Squier version yet Fender are $246 million in debt?
[/quote] They should sell more T-shirts and beer fridges,the neon bar sign market is too niche :lol: