The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

10 hours ago, briansbrew said:

Is it worth the asking price Andy...

Yes it is! The MIT models were every bit MIJ equals, my first Attitude mk1 was Taiwanese, and was perfection 👍 Just for info, Yamaha don’t do poor quality because they state all manufacturing processes - no matter where made - follow the exact MIJ processes and quality control mechanisms as their MIJ custom factory. My only complaint about Yamaha is they quality control every aspect of instrument manufacture to the nth degree meaning a loss of individuality and character. Good compliment though 👍😎

Edited by andy67
  • Like 1

The ad doesn’t say…. In my experience it can sometimes be almost impossible to read the country of manufacture stamped into the headstock beneath the serial number. I’ve occasionally asked sellers to try and check… I’ve had MIT and MIJ BB1100s and there’s something about the MlJ that feels superior. Could be my imagination of course!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Richard Jinman said:

The ad doesn’t say…. In my experience it can sometimes be almost impossible to read the country of manufacture stamped into the headstock beneath the serial number. I’ve occasionally asked sellers to try and check… I’ve had MIT and MIJ BB1100s and there’s something about the MlJ that feels superior. Could be my imagination of course!

I think that is a mindset similar to US and Mexican Fender. MIT was every bit their custom shop as the MIJ is. There is an explanation of why basses where built there, particularly in reference to the mk1 attitude. I’m not on FB anymore so can’t retrieve it via the Attitude FB page. If you PM John Willis he knows 👍

Edited by andy67

3 hours ago, andy67 said:

I think that is a mindset similar to US and Mexican Fender. MIT was every bit their custom shop as the MIJ is. There is an explanation of why basses where built there, particularly in reference to the mk1 attitude. I’m not on FB anymore so can’t retrieve it via the Attitude FB page. If you PM John Willis he knows 👍

I’m sure you’re right. 

As I've suddenly gone off the PJ combination on my 424 (which I suspect is just my general dislike for the sound of two pickups together finally asserting itself) I'm going to try a set of Fender 7150 next, to see if 100% nickel will thicken up the middle of the sound a bit better than the Boomers. They're still hexcore, so my fingers should like them.

Anyone ever put them on a BB? 

40 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Earlier on this year Guitarguitar had a sunburst/maple one of these for £400. I think there are several variants of the model with slight differences. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

I got a pair of Delano pickups for my BB605. I tend to prefer the 605 to the 735. Both are really good, but the BB605 feels better in my hands. It feels even better than basses that I have that cost a lot more.

I agree my 605 is my favourite bass out of my lot. I prefer the preamp on my 734 but the 605 is so nice to play and still good enough to get some great tones. I might look into upgrading the pickups and preamp after seeing what @javi_bassist has done! 

1 hour ago, Folkesy said:

I agree my 605 is my favourite bass out of my lot. I prefer the preamp on my 734 but the 605 is so nice to play and still good enough to get some great tones. I might look into upgrading the pickups and preamp after seeing what @javi_bassist has done! 

In my case, I have already upgraded the preamp with a Delano. And I also included a passive tone. The bass itself is pretty amazing and comfortable. I think that with some investment it's a beast

• Like 1

On 19/12/2021 at 23:29, AndyTravis said:

Where am I looking Bri? Have missed a link somewhere 

I have purchased it now, its a MIT model..

Finally got my BB1100s today, its in near mint condition bar the 2 cracked knobs but I have to agree with @AndyTravis no difference to the MIJ model as I had one previously and I can't tell the difference..

• Like 1