Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

23 hours ago, GMRbass said:

Hello 🤘

Would some of you know if there is any reason why some BBs(400s, 1000s, 2000s) come with this label on the back and some from the same series just don't?

Best and Happy New Year!

Unbenannt.JPG

My 2009 BB714 has it too.

58 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, that would be tempting if there was some kind of customs union with Germany :/

"the moderators aren’t equipped or obligated to moderate politics, sex, race, religion, tax, PayPal, whatever. So as soon as any of us spot a thread about any of that, or if any thread veers in that direction, it’s locked"

Will you be locking the thread yourself?

survivor-sips-tea.gif

• Haha 2

• Take a 1024

• Reverse the P

• Toggle to the left, bass works like a passive P: split pickup, vol, tone

• Toggle to the right, a 3 band preamp turns on, hidden in the cavity, with the blend, treble, mids and bass all set to the one combination I like (mids massively up to counter the natural scoop, treble and bass backed off a bit, blend slightly favouring the bridge)

• Give it a bit of a tidy up 😬

• Pray that making the cavity bigger hasn't made the neck dive too badly 

The added weight of a pre amp and battery would more than counter the weight of the removed wood from the PU cavity. 

If only there was someone around with a spare 1024x, a template for a reverse P scratchplate and the ability to do it. 

🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Where I would want the Reverse P (a smidgen bridgeward) would make a filthy mess of the edge of the pickguard, I fear. No, this is just the latest in my endless series of stupid daydreams. And anyway, I've just promised all my money to G&L.

Still, if a fairy godmother were to magically flip the split on my pg-less 424, that would be, well, magic 😏 She would be very welcome to paint it black afterwards, to cover the opencast mining.

Yes, that is one of the problems with reversing the P in standard P BB body. With a scratchplate the PU needs to move neckwards slightly. Without a scratchplate you can put it where you like but will have to fill the existing cavity, and that's not easy as any wooden block and/or filler will eventually move differently to the body wood and a tell tale 'ghost' will appear, especially in black. 

Just thinking out loud, but the Sims quad pickup would be great if they'd wire it for a reverse P option. It must be do-able as it's essentially four pickups in a 2x2 grid, with P, J and MM options. That would then fill the entire cavity as long as you didn't want to move it anywhere. 

I decided to play with pictures. If the BB split was moved down to the SB-1 position and then reversed .... that would be a very unhappy pg.

Screenshot_20211229-214926_Gallery.jpg.9ff0bb5b2d8540fd073d9e3d91c99963.jpg

I remember once listening to a demo of the Sims pickup. Jack of all trades, etc, I felt.

PS "any wooden block and/or filler will eventually move differently to the body wood and a tell tale 'ghost' will appear" - fairy godmothers wielding magic wands don't encounter these problems. Perfect job, every time.

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 1