Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Was there ever a BB which combined a reverse P (like a 300 or 1200) and a 40mm neck (like a 424 or 1600)? Aside from the BBPH, and Maude's modded 424, I think not.

More realistically, I'm still wondering about modding the toggle switch from bridge/both-in-parallel/neck to both-in-series/neck/kill. 

19 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Was there ever a BB which combined a reverse P (like a 300 or 1200) and a 40mm neck (like a 424 or 1600)? Aside from the BBPH, and Maude's modded 424, I think not.

More realistically, I'm still wondering about modding the toggle switch from bridge/both-in-parallel/neck to both-in-series/neck/kill. 

The BB714 has 40mm neck, woofer pup and non reversed P. It’s a different beast particularly when the high cut is selected. 

https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/BB714-'Billy-Sheehan'-Bass-Guitar/pidYAM-BB714BS-LR

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, andy67 said:

The BB714 has 40mm neck, woofer pup and non reversed P. It’s a different beast particularly when the high cut is selected. 

https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/BB714-'Billy-Sheehan'-Bass-Guitar/pidYAM-BB714BS-LR

I’ve always liked that model , I nearly bought a black one a while ago, I just want to play about with that woofer pickup 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve always liked that model , I nearly bought a black one a while ago, I just want to play about with that woofer pickup 

It’s massive, powerful, deep and when you hit that high cut boost, it goes very low! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, andy67 said:

Did you? 🤭

Why, of course. 😁

It's certainly not mint, but is a well looked after bass that's seen ten years of gigging. 

One tiny chip through to the wood on the lower horn, lots of very faint swirl type scratches on the front and back and the black finish on the bridge is wearing thin. 

Neck and fretboard are mark free, as are the frets. Case has lots of little nicks in the covering. 

I could touch in the chip easily and give the body a polish and it'd be as good as new. 

I'm assuming the body is finished in poly, not nitro? 

I haven't had a real chance to get to grips with it yet, but... 

IT SOUNDS IMMENSE!! 

Pics to follow. 😎👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GMRbass said:

Hello Yammis,

I am after some information regarding Yamaha BBs spare parts.

Basically I need a new pickup ring for my BB1024x:

2-27.jpg

Would you know how I could get to order this part?

I do appreciate any little help.

Hey - welcome aboard to both Basschat and this Yamaha bass thread, which has somehow just managed to garner a ridiculous 8,000 posts!!!  And doubly glad to welcome another BB1024 fan 😊

@AndyTravis is usually our resident expert on this stuff...my limited knowledge would be to point you in the direction of the Yamaha store in central London and ask to speak to one of their customer services guys in the basement dealing with their basses, and they should be able to put in touch with the right department dealing with spares. Be warned, though, it seems Yamaha aren't cheap when it comes to spare parts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GMRbass said:

Hello Yammis,

I am after some information regarding Yamaha BBs spare parts.

Basically I need a new pickup ring for my BB1024x:

2-27.jpg

Would you know how I could get to order this part?

I do appreciate any little help.

Contact the guys at www.btnmusic.co.uk 

They do official Yamaha spare parts 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Hey - welcome aboard to both Basschat and this Yamaha bass thread, which has somehow just managed to garner a ridiculous 8,000 posts!!!  And doubly glad to welcome another BB1024 fan 😊

@AndyTravis is usually our resident expert on this stuff...my limited knowledge would be to point you in the direction of the Yamaha store in central London and ask to speak to one of their customer services guys in the basement dealing with their basses, and they should be able to put in touch with the right department dealing with spares. Be warned, though, it seems Yamaha aren't cheap when it comes to spare parts.

Thank you very much!

Thank you for taking the time :)