Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Just now, Maude said:

So I should be snatching it out of their hands at £875 and only five miles away. 🙂

Blimey if it's in vgc, and with all the candy like you said, don't merely snatch. Bite their hands off!!! You'll have probably snagged one of the bargains of the year! 

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Oooh, you really are getting some fancy Yamaha basses aren't you? First a PH and now an Attitude! What's given you this sudden high-end bug?

I had no intention to buy an Attitude really but its popped up just down the road. 

My first 'real' bass was an Attitude Special and holds a special spot, so at that price it's a no brainer really... I think. 

• Like 2

FlxslqR.jpeg

It say usual marks from playing and only one very small chip on the lower horn, there's a picture of it and it's tiny. 

The trouble is I'm leaving for Kent at five tomorrow morning and won't be back til Sunday. Maybe I'll message, transfer a deposit or something. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Maude said:

I had no intention to buy an Attitude really but its popped up just down the road. 

My first 'real' bass was an Attitude Special and holds a special spot, so at that price it's a no brainer really... I think. 

Wow, that's a pretty bloomin' impressive first bass!! Mine was a used Aria Pro which had previously belonged to my missus and been in a cupboard for 15 years...😁

I still managed to fall in love with all things bass.

22 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I was half tempted by a Rebop recently, too, but got talked out of it by those "in the know" - apparently they suffer from a bit of neck dive, which won't bother some but I know would really annoy me so I steered clear. Totally loving my Euro 5LX, though. And I know young master Lee has rediscovered the joys of Spector too and Monsieur Le Greek has had the odd Spector fetish in his day! I posted a while back on this thread about the BB NE2 taking quite a few design cues from Spectors, which for me it has much more in common with than with my BB 1025.

Have you got your eye on a particular model?

Ha ha yes! I want Kip Winger’s NS. A Euro4 in amber or natural would please me. They are so cool 😎 

Edited by andy67
  • Like 1

It was only a budget version, I'm sure it was called a Special. Mint green, with a P and neck woofer but only single output, the fret scallops were just markers rather than machined out. 

It was nice though. 

And I said first 'real' bass. My first bass was a ply no name SG style monstrosity, probably a Kay. It got a ceremonial cremation when the Attitude was purchased. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maude said:

FlxslqR.jpeg

It say usual marks from playing and only one very small chip on the lower horn, there's a picture of it and it's tiny. 

The trouble is I'm leaving for Kent at five tomorrow morning and won't be back til Sunday. Maybe I'll message, transfer a deposit or something. 

If memory serves, that is a mk2 20th anniversary that also came in red. That is a real bargain!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maude said:

It was only a budget version, I'm sure it was called a Special. Mint green, with a P and neck woofer but only single output, the fret scallops were just markers rather than machined out. 

It was nice though. 

Aha. So that word "Special" was devised by the Yamaha marketing team who clearly had the right attitude! But much better than "Basic" though, used by a former goto brand of mine, right? 😁

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Maude said:

My only caveat would be that I know we all get excited about one of us getting a quality bass for a great price but it's easy to lose sight of why we're getting the bass e.g. do we need / really want the model in question? Definitely be worth trying before you buy unless you already know you're going to love the bass - your tastes may well have evolved since you bought your first bass: mine certainly have over the past 8 years. The only time I played an Attitude was in store when it was up against an NE2 and the NE2 won hands down for me.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

It will definitely be an investment and is 100% different from the special or as I had, the LE model. I have a limited 2 that I bought 23 years ago, it sits in its case, ungigged under my bed and aside from a small chip, it is pristine. 

Nothing out there sounds like an attitude nor does any bass I’ve ever played deserve its name more than it. Neck dive is awful but it is a real quality instrument.  Buy it today, sell it tomorrow for twice the price.

Edited by andy67
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, andy67 said:

It will definitely be an investment and is 100% different from the special or as I had, the LE model. I have a limited 2 that I bought 23 years ago, it sits in its case, ungigged under my bed and aside from a small chip, it is pristine. 

Nothing out there sounds like an attitude nor does any bass I’ve ever played deserve its name more than it. Neck dive is awful but it is a real quality instrument.  Buy it today, sell it tomorrow for twice the price.

I get where you're coming from. But there are definitely less hassle investments to be bought, although a 100% return is never to be sniffed at! (IF you can get it, and over a reasonable period). 

Must admit I don't think of any of my bass gear as investments - much more things that give me a huge amount of pleasure from playing (and the neck dive you mentioned would make the Attitude a non starter for me). I'm just very grateful that I've managed to broadly break even on gear purchases and sales so far, so I'm not too much out of pocket! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Maude said:

FlxslqR.jpeg

I went to buy one of those, they sound great, but unfortunately the neck was far too chunky for me, at that price I would just buy it 🙂

My reasoning is I don't need it, or hugely want it. But at that price if I fall in love with it then great, if not, I surely can't failed to get my money back or make a reasonable profit. 

I'm not adverse to hanging on to it either way if prices are rising. 

Money in the bank is boring, basses are fun even if they're not 'the one', and the right bass will have a better return than any interest on savings. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Maude said:

My reasoning is I don't need it, or hugely want it. But at that price if I fall in love with it then great, if not, I surely can't failed to get my money back or make a reasonable profit. 

I'm not adverse to hanging on to it either way if prices are rising. 

Money in the bank is boring, basses are fun even if they're not 'the one', and the right bass will have a better return than any interest on savings. 

You’ll love it because it is something else! Remember, there is not many of these world wide and that one specifically, was a short run like the 10th anniversary model. You’ll double your money, maybe even triple it in future. A P on steroids! 

• Like 1

She's going to hold it until I'm back on Monday, arranged to go and see it in the evening.

She's got a a series one Billy Sheehan overdrive pedal and a Boss LS2 signalling mixer pedal. She's said those two pedals, the patch leads and the bass for £950. 

No I offered but she said she wouldn't expect a deposit without seeing it first, says she's happy to hold it until Monday. 

I've arranged to go after work. 

She reckons there won't be much interest in such a niche bass. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

More people read threads than post on them, I wouldn't leave a link to an ad you're not able to buy immediately sitting here

I did think that but she's holding it. 

But I've deleted it anyway 😁

• Thanks 2