Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

19 minutes ago, Dean Vincent said:

The end of line "special edition", to use the up the old stock, before the new model is introduced?

Typically Yamaha run like a car manufacturer, 6-8 years of a model and the colour changes happen towards the end.

you’re probably right.

now….if they do

the “classic BB” like the 414 (basically a 1600 reissue)

with the multi lam neck 424/1024/2024

with the fancy sandwich body and 6 bolt neck 434/p34

we’re getting close to perfection 

@Machines and I spoke earlier about this.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 2

45 degree string through body on all…

BB 242 - a reverse P - Alder

BB 343 - as above p/j

BB 747 - as above Laminate neck 6 bolt passive Alder/Maple Sandwich

BB 949 - as above neck through

Yamaha will introduce a Nathan East Pre pedal - like the Sadowsky Unit - with 9v in and footswitch - and an in built compressor 

this will be called the NE-BB pre and will be discounted when you buy in conjunction with the bass.

and we’ll all be happy.

Some decent Colours too…not just blummin sunburst and black or white

Speaking of non PJ BB's, I recently got this beauty which needs no introduction.

It is from 1978, which is great as the world's most expensive bass ever sold at auction (same model and colour but obviously LH) is from the same year:

https://www.the-paulmccartney-project.com/2021/12/paul-mccartneys-yamaha-bb-1200-bass-auctioned/ 

The bass is in pretty good shape and sounds killer. I really like the reverse P and neck-thru combo, same as on my Spectors (but they are PJs, expect for the NS-1 and the Euro 77). Great bass!

949764490_39.1978YamahaBB1200Cherryburst.thumb.jpg.1199bcb15e4d43f134fe121460fcc867.jpg

• Like 8

15 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Typically Yamaha run like a car manufacturer, 6-8 years of a model and the colour changes happen towards the end.

you’re probably right.

now….if they do

the “classic BB” like the 414 (basically a 1600 reissue)

with the multi lam neck 424/1024/2024

with the fancy sandwich body and 6 bolt neck 434/p34

we’re getting close to perfection 

@Machines and I spoke earlier about this.

Agree 100%.

with less trebly/"modern" pickups than the latest version

• 2 weeks later...

BB Bass lovers i have a question (shocking huh)

so i love my BB1025 - it's become my main gigging bass which is awesome but.... i do find that the G string rings through a bit on the quiet side
i've tried raising the pickup height a little and changed the strings it came with to a set of EB Regular Slinky 45-130's (dunno why i just like these strings) - but it's still pretty weak sounding on the G string.

Anyone have a clue what might be the issue?
No before you ask i have not sent it in for a setup/service since getting it and yess..... i'm aware that'll probably solve the issue - but i was hoping it was something i could resolve myself before resorting to "finding a man that knows" at some sort of cost.

on a different yet somehow related topic - has anyone ever changed the pickups in their BB 5 string (P/J setup) - any recommendations?

ta low enders

@BigJHW Not wanting to sound like I'm teaching you to suck eggs but is the string all straight with no twists along it's length?

I've not heard of a BB having balance issues before so I'm at a loss for suggestions but I did once accidentally get a twist in a string on one of my Laklands & it did rob it of volume & sustain.

I can't imagine why you'd want to change pickups in a 1025! They're the best sounding PJ configuration I've ever heard 😍

Edited by Horizontalste
Pants spelling
  • Like 1

never heard of a string twisting before - but checking over it, it all looks good n groovy

wasn't 100% considering a pickup change - just curious to know if ppl had ever done it and what they'd changed too.

• Like 1

1024/1025 (plus 414/415, 424/425, 2024/2025) have a unique pickup shape which no drop in replacements exist for. The good news is the pickups are fantastic and one of the many reasons for owning and playing one of these basses. Leave it alone! You probably have a dead or twisted string. 

• Like 2

I find this in some basses and sometimes increasing mids or maybe treble on amp boosts the notes and also you could try lowering the other pickups under the other strings,  or maybe increase string size to 50, which may balance it out more. But I have also had problems with new strings so might be worth another change to see. 

As an update to my earlier post about acquiring a 735a… it seemed to develop an issue with the preamp and was very noisy, and has therefore been returned. In the meantime, a BB P35 came up for £200 or so more than the 735a cost, so that’s now mine. 

back to back, they’re very different beasts. The 735a was great to play and the preamp offered quite a lot of options, all usable. But, the P35 is a different thing. In short, it just feels different, like a good example of a vintage Fender that has been played, no frills, but something special. Hard to describe, but it’s just there. 
The 735a to me was an entirely different flavour. They share some hardware, but aesthetics aside, weren’t similar to me at all. Both great in different ways, but the P35 has a bit of magic about it. 

D15F72BE-E4C0-4427-83CE-05D1874B6B6F.jpeg

Edited by M@23
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Bit of a bargain that compared to the recent prices. Too far away for me.

I’ve just pulled out of buying a BB on account that I’m doing less playing than ever and I already have 2 gathering dust.

Just been warming up for the April composition challenge though - so I’ll stick with what I have.

I will say my early bb1100’s was absolutely stonking - this looks to be the same era.

great basses

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Currently - BB434M

image.thumb.png.1f0199153ecefae072eee1f19863d9e9.png

hey, 

I actually tried this out in the london store. I was impressed considering its a Indonesian made instrument. the neck for me was really nice. i got on with it more than the current top BB model.  Im looking for a japan made.