Why become a member? ×

Short Scale Cheap Build

Jabba_the_gut

This is looking really, really gorgeous! :)
Your work is so neat Jez, heck, even your workbench is tidier than anything I do ;)

Great progress, and as others have said, it looks nowt like a "budget bass" - looks like a top-end custom build

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1493805202' post='3290738']
This is looking really, really gorgeous! :)
Your work is so neat Jez, heck, even your workbench is tidier than anything I do ;)

Great progress, and as others have said, it looks nowt like a "budget bass" - looks like a top-end custom build
[/quote]

Cheers for the comments - I'm finishing the oiling at the moment and hope to start putting together at the weekend.

Always good to keep a clear final assembly workspace (or 'dining room table' as I've heard my wife refer to it before....)

Cheers

Jez

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1493837972' post='3291197']

Always good to keep a clear final assembly workspace (or 'dining room table' as I've heard my wife refer to it before....)

[/quote]

I genuinely laughed out loud when I read that :)
There's no way on this earth I'd get away with using the dining room table for such things! lol

Absolutely lovely little bass! Very neat work.
Its cool the different woods you had laying about went nicely with each other.
Love the shape. Just purely for aesthetics the pu would of maybe looked cool at the same angle as the end of the fretboard, bridge etc.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1493938376' post='3292075']
Absolutely lovely little bass! Very neat work.
Its cool the different woods you had laying about went nicely with each other.
Love the shape. Just purely for aesthetics the pu would of maybe looked cool at the same angle as the end of the fretboard, bridge etc.
[/quote]

Hi, cheers for the message. I had thought about angling the pickup but just decided not to in the end. I also should have staggered the tuners and had more slope on the head for the same reason, though this was restricted due to the piece of wood I had for the neck. This build was only supposed to be as quick and dirty but has turned out nice so far. I'm thinking of making a 32" scale version afterwards and will consider a few more aesthetic items on that project.

Cheers

Jez

Getting into the final assembly of this now. I've fitted most of the hardware and done the wiring. I have fitted an EMG pre-amp for the moment as I had one spare, I'm not sure if I'll keep this in but I'll try it for now.

I'm pleased with how the oil finish has gone - I'll take some better photos when this is complete.