Why become a member? ×

How much time should be given when leaving a band?

Cantdosleepy

Hypothetical situation - you're in a gigging band in London, playing a show about every three weeks. The rest of the band are decent guys, but for one reason or another you no longer want to play with them. You don't want to screw them over. How long after announcing that you want to leave do you give them to find a new bassist? Did you ought to play all the shows that were booked whilst you were in the band? Give them a month to find a new guy? Finding a new bassist can be a bit of a chore.

depends on their committments and how soon they can get a replacement for you. I'd ideally allow 6-8 weeks if you're leaving during a heavy (ie. weekly) gigging period. If you're gigging less frequently or can line up some auditions for the band then maybe less?

I think this is a good case to show that having a written 'Band Agreement' in place to cover such eventualities is worth it's weight in gold.
The exact same happened to me. I just put my notice in as per the agreement (2 months if I remember correctly) and there was no arguing because we all agreed the terms up front in the beginning.

If you've got gigs booked I would honour those bookings, but make sure that the rest of the band are aware that any new bookings will have to be provisioned by a new bassist. Hand in any tabs or copies of music you have accumulated to help the next guy (provided they aren't copyrighted). Make sure the band appreciate the reason that you're leaving and stay in touch.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='311850' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:20 AM']I think this is a good case to show that having a written 'Band Agreement' in place to cover such eventualities is worth it's weight in gold.
The exact same happened to me. I just put my notice in as per the agreement (2 months if I remember correctly) and there was no arguing because we all agreed the terms up front in the beginning.[/quote]

Isn't that a bit OTT for a band unless it's professional? I would never do that, or join a band that wanted it.

It depends how badly you want to leave. If you can't stand being in the band and need to leave soon then tell them and come to an agreement as to when you leave.
If the gigs are £100 pub jobs and you are not bothered about the consequences then just leave. If you wish to remain friends and think you may need their services or help , or goodwill in the future then sort it out amicably and help them find a replacement.
I think these situations are better sorted sooner than later .

Unfortunately i have an agreement where i have to give 6 months notice.

Then again we are one of the biggest bands on the admittedly small goth scene. There would have to press releases and time to get the right image with the new bass player. Not to mention clothing and interviews.

[quote]I think this is a good case to show that having a written 'Band Agreement' in place to cover such eventualities is worth it's weight in gold.[/quote]
And if the band say, "You're rubbish, we've found someone else...on yer bike". What are you going to do?

Edit:
In all the years that I've been playing I've never signed a "Band Agreement".
I,ve [i]have[/i] heard of musicians signing a contract for a particular tour, but nothing else.

In answer to the OP:
As long as there are good vibes and you don't have other commitments, then I would suggest 1-2 months, or till a replacement is ready.

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='SteveK' post='311863' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:38 AM']And if the band say, "You're rubbish, we've found someone else...on yer bike". What are you going to do?

Edit:
In all the years that I've been playing I've never signed a "Band agreement".
I've [i]have[/i] heard of musicians signing a contract for a particular tour, but nothing else.

In answer to the OP:
As long as there are good vibes and you don't have other commitments, then I would suggest 1-2 months, or till a replacement is ready.[/quote]

Sensible words indeed...+1

I would accept a "tour agreement" but "band agreements" aren't very rock n roll

[quote name='Prosebass' post='311901' date='Oct 22 2008, 11:09 AM']Sensible words indeed...+1

I would accept a "tour agreement" but "band agreements" aren't very rock n roll[/quote]

I hear you.
Surely it just depends on what the situation with the band, doesn't it? Look at what Shockwave said.
A hell of a lot that goes with bands ain't rock n roll.
As Cantdosleepy said if it's a regular gigging band a bit of formality and firming up between those concerned won't hurt will it?

[quote name='jonthebass' post='311850' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:20 AM']I think this is a good case to show that having a written 'Band Agreement' in place to cover such eventualities is worth it's weight in gold.
The exact same happened to me. I just put my notice in as per the agreement (2 months if I remember correctly) and there was no arguing because we all agreed the terms up front in the beginning.[/quote]

and then the replaced you with Ian H Watkins. you must be gutted.

I'm in the process of relocating from London to Oxford for work purposes. One of the things that will have to go are the bands I'm in. I let them know as soon as the new job was confirmed and may be able to help them out from time to time in future (I value their friendship and what I've learnt with them). I've got about four weeks left and a couple of gigs with each of them (one, joint event being a farewell gig I'm organising myself).

Of course, that's a bit different because I have a strong, unassailable reason for moving on that doesn't hint that "I'm fed up of playing with you guys". I have moved on from other bands in the past though when I have found my time being too squeezed. Most recently, about 3-4 years ago, I was getting pushed for time being in two groups so chatted with the rest of the band and gave them a couple of months and as much help as I could in finding a replacement (I don't think they actually did but there were other currents in the band which was one of my reasons for knocking it on the head as a dead end).

I do think fixing a date is important and that should probably link in with honouring most or all future gigs. Obviously that depends on your band's schedule. If your band has a set of common covers and gigs once in a while, you might offer to complete anything booked in the next month or two and then stop; if it is all complex originals and you have a monthly residency, a longer notice period and perhaps offering to cover a couple of further regular slots after you finish rehearsing with them might be a more helpful offer.

Wulf

ps. See [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29778"]this thread[/url] if you're interested in the 'Teeth and also let me know if jazz is your thing....

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='311967' date='Oct 22 2008, 12:22 PM']Good advice guys.

Seems that if this hypothetical band has gigs going into December then the hypothetical leaving member should offer to play at all those gigs unless they get a new bassist in before then.[/quote]

Lots of advice for you there then! I'm with the "keep it amicable, but businesslike" ones. No-one wants to be put out or let down, particularly of you want to stay friends, but it [b]is[/b] really important to set an exact deadline, a last "I'm still in the band" gig, whether you intend to continue depping after this or not, or things [b]will[/b] drift, particularly their lack of incentive to get on with replacing you!

The definite cut-off date is a good thing. I offered to help out a mate with a 3 week tour when their bass player left. I ended up playing for 3 months because they were hoping that I would make it permanent. In the end I had to put my foot down and gave them a date that they had to have a replacement in by. It's difficult, but sometimes you have to set expectations.

I'm just working my 'notice' now, for my covers band.
I've been with the band for just over two years.
Things haven't been working out for a bit.
It basically boiled down to them not wanting to gig more than once a week.
We had a meeting and although they were pretty miffed, I agreed to help them out for two months.
Its been a bit strained at gigs...
But now i'm getting a bit frustrated cause I want to be out with my new band on the nights I'm with them.
I was quite happy to stay friends and everything, but some of the band have just 'twisted'...like I've 'let the side down'!
I don't see it as a big deal...People leave and join new bands all the time, right?

If it was a better offer I'd be up front with them, that you'd be stupid to turn it down. Any decent musician would understand and not hold it against you. If it was just because you no longer enjoyed working with them, make the next gig your last one and call it a day, I don't see any point in players hanging around if they're not enjoying it. At the end of the day people should respect the choice of others and move on without holding any grudges.