Why become a member? ×

Which one is the bass that will end your GAS

fiatcoupe432

There is no ONE bass that will cure my GAS, because there is no one bass that completely covers every musical application.

While I don't really need any more basses other than these:

There would always be room for a fretless 5-string Gus with ACG pickups and electronics, and a Fender VI style 6-string without the ridiculously narrow neck of the Fender VI. But I don't actually NEED any of them.

At the moment I'm just looking at replacing my current 4 cabs with 2 small lightweight ones and then I could honestly say I'm done.

Edited by BigRedX

Some low-grade GAS is a permanent state & I imagine I'll be randomly buying & selling basses I find curious, attractive and otherwise interesting until Trumpageddon comes.

However, I thought I was beyond all that full-on, real deal, full-blown, life-dependent craving. I had a vague idea that one day I'd like to get a couple of things I'd always aspired to, but always seemed out of reach. Those are a guitar - a Yamaha SG2000, or similar neck-through 1980s Yam SG, and an Aria Pro II SB-R80.

The Yams are available but typically 4-figure expensive, and realistically remain out of reach. The SB-Rs are pretty scarce, often modded or otherwise unoriginal and usually look their age and then some. Prices are on an upward trend & I'd kind of thought that a good, original one would be something I couldn't realistically afford.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/300933-gorgeous-aria-pro-ii-in-bass-direct/"]And then this happened.[/url]

Looks like I missed that by an hour or so. And now I understand that I am not free of it. Never will be.

GAS. GAS never changes...

Realistically I think I could cure my GAS if I were to get a [s]Ritter R8 Concept[/s], err a really nice [s]Status Kingbass[/s], no... [s]an Alembic SC[/s] ....my next build with Andyjr...

Who am I kidding?? I know a fool and his money are easily parted....I'l always have an obsession with something - if it isn't basses it'll just be with something else..probably amps....or something that YOU've got!!

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1487850650' post='3243485']
Rickenbacker 4001 in white with black scratch plate. There was one in Andy Baxter's recently which was spot on.

[url="http://andybaxterbass.com/details.php?id=880"]http://andybaxterbas...ails.php?id=880[/url]

Failing that, I'm 50 in a couple of years so a Y.O.B. 1969 Precision will be on the cards, assuming I make it.
[/quote]

Yeah right. I wanted an orgy for my fiftieth but never got one no matter how many hints I dropped. Heeheehee.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1487858355' post='3243600']
Realistically I think I could cure my GAS if I were to get a [s]Ritter R8 Concept[/s], err a really nice [s]Status Kingbass[/s], no... [s]an Alembic SC[/s] ....my next build with Andyjr...

Who am I kidding?? I know a fool and his money are easily parted....I'l always have an obsession with something - if it isn't basses it'll just be with something else..probably amps....or something that YOU've got!!
[/quote]

I've got a nice bridge over the Thames that I could let you have at a modest price.

[attachment=238898:OneOfMyLondonProperties.png]
Cash in advance though.

OT; I saw your now restored axe at Andy's before he did his magic on it. I thought he was attempting the impossible when he described what needed doing. When I saw it finished - WOW! You're a lucky boy to have him making one for you but I don't have to tell you that do I?

Regards to you both

I find there's a difference between wanting something and needing it - I just need to figure out how to identify it.

I have a room full of instruments, but play 3 old ones. For a decade I owned and gigged just one bass, a 66 Fender Jazz which did everything I needed. I could quite happily go back to that one instrument, but I could never sell it.

Thought I had my keeper, but I had to sell it (Ric 4003 - needed the money). However, I think I have my keeper bass, mainly down to the fact that thanks to Mr Hall, I can't sell them. But they are very good basses, so I don't mind too much.