Why become a member? ×

moral dilemma?

Monkey Steve

OK, so I'm going to tread very carefully here, as I can't let any specific details of this get out, so it's all very broad principles...

A mate of mine is in a band that has been recording their new album, which has brought to a head that their current bass player has got to go (and he's only been in the band for a year or so, so this is buyers remorse to a degree). The rest of the band has been thinking it for a while, and a shift in what they are writing has got them to the point where the bass player will not be able to cope with the bass lines they have written (and the guitarists will be recording) for the new album.

The bass player is aware that they're not happy (clearly - they've told him he's not playing on the album) but is clinging on to his one chance of staying in the spotlight - if it was me I'd have quit the second they told me I wasn't good enough to play on the album. But he's also the closest mate of the one key member who's band it "is" so there won't be any sackings until that band member is completely on side. Plus he's been playing with them solidly on tour and at festivals for the last year so perhaps has reasonable grounds to think that it all seemed to be working out fine up to this point.

However, they have a reasonable amount of gigs lined up to keep them ticking over for the next few months, and no great pressure to play the new material until the album is out (probably May). Which means that they don't really have any down time to sack the bass player and get someone new in ready to play over the Summer.

So...I was out with my mate for a few beers at the weekend and this topic once again came up, and I repeated what I've been telling him for a while - find someone to learn the stuff in the background so that when they are ready to do the sacking they have someone available to step in straight away (and it's stuff that will take a bit of learning - they won't be finding a dep to step in at short notice). And he looks at me and asks "well, would you do it then?"

It's not that I don't want to do it, and after all it was completely my idea to sneak around behind the bass player's back, but now that it looks like I might be the one doing the sneaking I do have a suspicion that this makes me a complete scumbag.

So, would you?

Happy to have unglazed, honest opinions - if you agree with my conscience that this does make me a bad man then that's fine, and I'd rather see what people genuinely think than have a Facebook support group "of course you're never wrong whatever you do" feedback

*grabs tin hat*

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1486390868' post='3231332']
Why don't you just get the existing bass player to spend his time learning the new material!
How does anyone know he isn't able play it?[/quote]

mostly his complete inability to properly play the much simpler stuff from their previous albums that he's been doing until now

Bands change and move on and if one member can't keep up, can't cover the new songs or doesn't fit in then his gig is in jeopardy. If things have got to the point that the guy is already "gone" bar the actual act then step in.

One way or another, someone else is going to get the gig so it might as well be you.

I'd go for a beer with the bass player and talk to him. If the band won't do it, at least you're being honest.

Other than that tell them you'll do it but only after they have been honest with him.

We've all been sacked from bands. There's a right way and a wrong way.

Edited by TimR

Band reunion explaining the bass player that he needs to learn the new set or the band has no choice other to let him go. If he says that he won't be able to learn the songs then the band informs him thet they'll get another bass player learning the songs and if he's willing he can keep playing with the band until the release of the album. Of course he may choose to quit the band instantly and force someone to learn the songs in a hurry for the upcomming gigs but it's his choice and the band should be prepared to deal with the situation.

Conversation is allways the best way to solve things, going behind someone's back shows intention to sack him off without giving him a chance or explanation and even shows that the band took advantage of his good will to have him playing the required gigs until they had the replacement ready.

Sorry mate, i'm siding with that bass player in this, must be an awfull sensation to be sacked of a band like this.

too many bands put up with average players, and I think bassist is the usual place for it. I was at a gig last night, one band who are doing pretty well at the moment (headline tours etc) are sh*t hot, the singer, guitarist and drummer are all tight as hell and really playing. The bassist couldn't nod his head in time with the weird time signatures. Luckily he had a massively scooped sound and generally played in time, so he wasn't exactly taking away from the performance, but he didn't seem to be adding anything. I guess they'll put up with him forever, but if I was in their locality I'd have told them how sh*t he was and offered my services with no shame.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1486391697' post='3231347']
too many bands put up with average players, and I think bassist is the usual place for it. I was at a gig last night, one band who are doing pretty well at the moment (headline tours etc) are sh*t hot, the singer, guitarist and drummer are all tight as hell and really playing. The bassist couldn't nod his head in time with the weird time signatures. Luckily he had a massively scooped sound and generally played in time, so he wasn't exactly taking away from the performance, but he didn't seem to be adding anything. I guess they'll put up with him forever, but if I was in their locality I'd have told them how sh*t he was and offered my services with no shame.
[/quote]

Maybe he owns the pa, the van, does the website, organises the setlist, and books the practices and gigs. :D

You sitting down with the bass player and "discussing the situation" is the worst advice ever!

It's not your place to discuss band personnel or politics. Keep well away from that. It's down to the band what they want to do and they won't thank you for poking your nose in!!

And as I say, the guy is gone anyway, so why should you want to give the gig away to someone else when you could be doing it?

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1486392121' post='3231353']
the OP says the current guitarists will do it..
[/quote]

Ok.. Just spotted that.
Even more daft.
:)

Edit: I hope the original Bass player ain't a Basschat member and is reading this thread. :(

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1486392169' post='3231354']
You sitting down with the bass player and "discussing the situation" is the worst advice ever!

It's not your place to discuss band personnel or politics. Keep well away from that. It's down to the band what they want to do and they won't thank you for poking your nose in!!

And as I say, the guy is gone anyway, so why should you want to give the gig away to someone else when you could be doing it?
[/quote]

Ah right. I thought they were all mates and knew each other well.

I'd walk away from this situation at least until the existing bassist has had the courtesy of being spoken to by the band (certainly not you)

As for learning the stuff in the background, if you really want the gig, why not? However, are you sure that ALL the band will be in agreement about who replaces the current bassist?

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1486392598' post='3231362']
Ok.. Just spotted that.
Even more daft.
:)

Edit: I hope the original Bass player ain't a Basschat member and is reading this thread. :(
[/quote]

Exactly why I'm keeping a lot of the juicy details out of this! And some of the points I've made have been left slightly twisted, but the essence is true. I'm treading very carefully as this is not my cat to let out of the bag.

*Thinks hard about how much I can say about some of the points raised...

The issues around what the band have done and will do remain their problem. i won't go into the background but the decision to record the bass themselves was a good solution for a number of reasons - it surprised me because it wasn't something that they wanted to do, or have done if they had a bass player they were happy with.

Also, I'm only mates with my mate - I don't know the bass player personally.

personally I'm not looking on this as a long term thing. I've told my mate that I'll help him out if he wants/needs me to, but it's not an offer/acceptance/expectation to formally join the band. First we need to see if I'm up to it, whether I want to do it, and if they find that there is a better bass player out there for them (for whatever reason) then that's fine. If it works out and I stay forever more, great, but it may come to nothing for any number of reasons and I'm not worried if it ends up just being a few gigs while they look for a longer term solution.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1486392121' post='3231353']

the OP says the current guitarists will do it..
[/quote]

If the guitarists can play it, it can't be that hard! :)

I can only speak for me, but in your position I would -

Encourage openness between the band... everyone deserves that.

Learn the material anyway... when has that not been fun/educational/rewarding?

Just see how it develops, maybe it'll all get sorted, but you've learned something and have something in a dep required scenario, maybe he'll leave, maybe he'll be pushed, just take it as it comes.

This is unless the bass player is a friend, a close friend of friends, or similar, in which case I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

I got caught up in a singer and drummer sacking. Before I could talk to the guys getting the boot, the two most insensitive people when it comes to people skills, got the ball rolling and before I knew what was going on, feelings were hurt and friendships lost.

If you like the band and the music then as already said here...if you don't take the job, someone else will. As far as any heartache goes, its nothing to do with you. Its between the current band members and him. The fact you feel sorry for the guy reflects your compassion as an all round good egg but doesn't oblige you to get involved. Had you said "hey guys...hes sh*t. You need ME in your life" .......

Trouble when players that cause the rest of the band to "drag" but don't, wont or simply cant improve is that its leads to animosity.

The Beatles had to do it once. Status Quo did it. In fact there must be a whole topic available on replacement parts, the resulting fall outs, deaths and marriages.

But should you feel about bad it? Maybe but out of compassion. Should you feel responsible? No.

The guitarists write the basslines?! I'm out.

Seriously though, if they've got the riffs recorded already & you want to do a few gigs with your mate then by all means learn them but don't get involved with anything (esp not sly practices on the side) until the current guy is gone.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1486391578' post='3231343']
Band reunion explaining the bass player that he needs to learn the new set or the band has no choice other to let him go. If he says that he won't be able to learn the songs then the band informs him that they'll get another bass player learning the songs and if he's willing he can keep playing with the band until the release of the album. Of course he may choose to quit the band instantly and force someone to learn the songs in a hurry for the upcoming gigs but it's his choice and the band should be prepared to deal with the situation.

Conversation is always the best way to solve things, going behind someone's back shows intention to sack him off without giving him a chance or explanation and even shows that the band took advantage of his good will to have him playing the required gigs until they had the replacement ready.

Sorry mate, i'm siding with that bass player in this, must be an awful sensation to be sacked of a band like this.
[/quote]

This...they should be upfront, give him the chance to get it right, he probably knows whether he's going to be good enough and may do "the right thing". Result - no animosity and you've nothing to worry about if you do step in.

They (the band) need to sack their current bass player. As I see it, that is nothing to do with you. Let them get on with it. If he is not good enough to play their new material, then he must suspect it's coming anyway. Time for him and them to move forward. Separately if he can't up his game.

No harm at all in you learning their new (and, presumably, old) material. It's a free world (mostly) and you can play what you like.

If they want you to join the band on bass, then it should be done "officially" rather than this rather back-door and underhand way. Think about how you would feel if you were treated like that.

Once they have a vacancy, and you are available and prepared for it - it's nobody else's business who gets the bassist's job (including their current-and-soon-to-be-ex bassist).

That's how I see it anyway :) You're welcome! ;)

Edited by Conan