Why become a member? ×

Help me choose my next bass... DONE!

Lfalex v1.1

I'm considering purchasing another bass.
The budget would be around £1000, but could s-t-r-e-t-c-h to about £1250 for the "right" instrument!

[u]I currently own[/u];
MM Ray 5 fretless.
Warwick Streamer LX 6
Warwick Infinity SN4
MIA Jazz
Squier VMJ (modded)
Zoot Chaser
Ibanez SRX700
Yamaha Attitude BS Sig
Vigier Passion S3 5 string
OLP MM3
Hohner B2A 5 string

[u]Specs for the proposed addition[/u]-

4 string. Fretted.
Active or passive (don't mind which)
Must be [i]different[/i] to the existing line-up
I don't mind good condition S/H instruments.
Looking for versatility.
Slightly averse to shorter scale lengths and off-balance Gibsons.

Thoughts so far;

Fender Roscoe Beck IV
Vigier Arpege S2 or Passion S2
Status Streamline
Musicman Bongo H/S or H/H
Warwick Corvette $$
G&L ASAT

But these seem to be (with the exception of the Status and perhaps the Bongo) some sort of re-hash of other basses I already own...
Admittedly, if I had more cash, I'd be looking at a BassLab L-bow or some other mental contraption, but the funds just won't do it!

I'm sure you all have plenty of ideas that I haven't even considered... Please share them!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

Alex,

I was going to suggets a PRS but again its similar to what you have already...

So struggling...

Maybe an overwater or shuker.....? Someting German perhaps, Clover or Marleaux...

You already have some nice beasties....

Dont s'pose you fancy my C/S active P.....? Thats certainly different to what you have! :)

I'd go with you on the Streamline. I've played one & they aren't what you'd call "Status-lite"! It's the full experience and sound in a little package. Awesome!

I'd also totally recommend the Corvette $$. I've had two now. Huge punch & possibly the most versatile bass I've ever played.

I'm sure the Vigier people on here will have very similar reasons for choosing their instruments as well. Nick (doctor_of_the_bass) has an Arpege as his main player, amongst others.

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='309892' date='Oct 19 2008, 04:32 PM']I'd go with you on the Streamline. I've played one & they aren't what you'd call "Status-lite"! It's the full experience and sound in a little package. Awesome!

I'd also totally recommend the Corvette $$. I've had two now. Huge punch & possibly the most versatile bass I've ever played.

I'm sure the Vigier people on here will have very similar reasons for choosing their instruments as well. Nick (doctor_of_the_bass) has an Arpege as his main player, amongst others.

Rich.[/quote]

Chop something in and get something decent -

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29845"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29845[/url]

:)

Personally, I'd be looking at one of the following:

ACG custom build
Bongo HH
Sterling 5er
Jaydee MK
WAL
or an investment in a 70's Fender.

There's a few basses I've always dreamed about, Jaydee MK, 70's Jazz, but top of the list is a WAL. I [i]will[/i] have one before I die.

[quote name='molan' post='310786' date='Oct 20 2008, 09:01 PM']How about something high end & American:

Roscoe
MTD
Zon
Pedulla
etc.

Some of these wouldn't be available new for your budget but they do pop up on the used market from time to time :)[/quote]

+1....obviously :huh: .

But also man try some Spector Euros, their bang on for your price range and your proposed specs. And they're quite different to a Streamer as well.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='309876' date='Oct 19 2008, 03:55 PM']Thanks Bob!

A "P" of some sort ought to be a consideration. The Attitude doesn't really [i]do[/i] that sound.
I like the look of Clovers, or maybe a Sandberg with the P/MM combination...[/quote]

i'd go for a sadowsky metro!!

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars.asp?BrandName=Sadowsky&guitars=25"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars...&guitars=25[/url]

the hybrid p bass (jazz width neck, p bass body with p and j pickups, 2 band active eq with passive tone control)

like this

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=07061913304229&guitars=25"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars...&guitars=25[/url]

or

why not a lovely sadowsky jazz like this

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=08081811360629&guitars=25"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars...&guitars=25[/url]

(click front view to see the full size image)

they are fantastic basses and would really compliment what you already have :)

Thanks for all the ideas (and PMs)
I don't have the funds just yet, simply seeking motivation so I can work towards something.
Whilst amps hate me (which they do) I'm covered by my venerable (it's only broken once!) Trace SMX and cabs. Not the pinnacle of modern ampage, but TBH, I can't [i]really[/i] tell the difference at high SPLs in a band/stage environment- I'd be wearing earplugs, and the PA does FOH...

There's a Dingwall in "for sale" that's a bit too rich for me, and the good Doctor's tickled my fancy with a Steinberger. If a nice Kubicki Ex-Factor comes up, I could be tempted...

You need a 70's Precision 'cos everyone who can afford to own one should own one :) .
OK, not versatile but, other than a 70's P strung with heavy flats, I've yet to find a bass than can nail that classic vintage bass tone
And I'm not even trying to sell one :huh:
Chris

Edited by Beedster

• 2 months later...

Just found this topic whilst reviewing some others I'd posted, and thought I'd update you all on what happened.
I'm very impressed with most people's recommendations. They were borne out in practice.
I visited BassMerchant for the first time a fortnight ago, and was immediately impressed by their range/quality of instruments, and their "Don't ask, just take it off the wall and play it!" ethic.
It was a cold, cold day, and their industrial unit was freezing, which ultimately affected some of the basses to a greater or lesser degree.

Tried;
Sandberg P/MM
Warwicks - Thumb NT5, B/O4. Streamer $$, Corvette $$ B/O and N/T (Bubinga/Maple)
Vigier - Passion S4, Arpege S4, Excess (all 4 string)
Overwater - Three of them, Definitely a Progress in there somewhere!
Fender - Highway1 Precision
Musicman - Bongo 4HH
Spector - Euro LX (I think) in Zebrano x2 (they had two. I tried both)

Tried to stay away from 5stringers, as I wanted a 4!

Results
Vigiers were predictably good. The Excess felt a bit "off"
Overwaters, Warwicks and Sandbergs were all below par (presumably due to the cold)
The Highway1 acquitted itself quite well, but only did the P-bass thing.
The Musicman Bongo 4HH was really good. Bags of "poke" and a versatile pre-amp to boot. Shook off the cold well.
The Spectors were also very gutsy and played well.
I also tried a Lakland of some sort (44-02 Skyline?) which was okay, but not magical.
The GMR I tried looked beautiful, but just sounded dead to me.

Fair dos to BassMerchant, all the basses were well presented and well set up, but none really grabbed me.

Then I went to Status Graphite (just down the road) and I think it's enough to say that I've got a Streamline on order. Wonderful instrument. It was cold there, too, but an all-Graphite instrument will shrug that off better than a wooden one...

The other thing that has impressed me is how close you all got with your recommendations!
I just read down the thread, and can see others mentioning all the models that impressed me most!
Well done folks!

A diminutive bass will be appearing in a Gear P**n Section near you soon!
A big thanks to Out To Play Jazz and G-77 for their help with Streamline questions, and likewise to Dawn and Rob Green for all their help and co-operation...
Now hurry up and make it! ;)