Why become a member? ×

Has anyone here converted a 4 string to a 5 string?

tedmanzie

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1482483485' post='3200876']
For me, then, if I don't convert, I need a 5er with a nut width not exceeding 1.75". Any such thing?
[/quote]

Try this?
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/294818-yamaha-bb5000a-christmas-gift-l-600/page__fromsearch__1

Disclaimer: I don't know the seller, I just did a quick search and found this. Ask him about the nut width.
Good luck!

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1482483485' post='3200876']
For me, then, if I don't convert, I need a 5er with a nut width not exceeding 1.75". Any such thing?
[/quote]

I'm always intrigued when musicians quote absolute measurements as being a strict requirement for an instrument, especially when they only for a small part of the overall picture.

So is your 1.75" the width of the neck at the nut? or the width from the centre of the B string to the centre of the G string? And is 1.75" a definite absolute, or could you get away with 1.76"? How about 1.78"?

What about the string spacing at the bridge? I ask because my Yamaha BJ5B 5-string would have probably met your requirements (or been very close) but at the bridge it had the typical very wide Yamaha string spacing of 18-19mm between string centres. Would that have been acceptable?

I've given up worrying about instrument measurements. If I'm interested I pick it up and play it. It will soon become obvious whether or not I can get on with it.

There you go,
TL: [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszczyk Elwood, TR: Ibanez ATK[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]BL: Ibanez SR1605, BR: Sherwood bass thats up for sale[/font][/color]

[IMG]http://www.alienrat.co.uk/photobucket/all_zpszswpttwb.jpg[/IMG]

All <= 1.75", apart from the last one that is 1.5! The elwood was obviously specified to that as it is a custom (it was specified to be the same as the 1605 in fact).

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1482416185' post='3200368']
There's a guy on eBay, a real guitar 'improver' who can turn a silk purse into a sows ear...
[/quote]

Lol. Careful we ain't really allowed to mention him.

And its a shame we can't mention him as imo he is ripping people that possibly don't know better off. And his instruments have a huge potential to put new players off learning as they are not right.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1482491426' post='3200975']
There you go,
TL: [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszczyk Elwood, TR: Ibanez ATK[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]BL: Ibanez SR1605, BR: Sherwood bass thats up for sale[/font][/color]

All <= 1.75", apart from the last one that is 1.5! The elwood was obviously specified to that as it is a custom (it was specified to be the same as the 1605 in fact).
[/quote]

Interesting, what's the string spacing up at the bridge end on these?

It was looking for tight spacing at the bridge that got me thinking about this 4 to 5 thing in the first place (although it's more of a discussion point than a serious idea to be honest). I was looking at a Hofner Violin Bass in the window of a shop and it has extremely tight spacing and the strings were almost parallel right up the neck - I'm predominantly a pick playing guitarist turned bassist and tight spacing is much easier especially for octave jump 16ths kind of thing.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1482487918' post='3200932']
I might be making this up - but isn't Jon Myung's 6 string bongo actually put together with a 5 string neck for really narrow spacing?

I'm sure I read that somewhere at some point,
[/quote]

It's true. I saw it on his Rig Rundown video on that yoo toob.

Having looked at my own measurements and epiphones, the only way I could get a reasonable 5 string thunderbird (if such thing was reasonable) would be to convert a 4 to a 5, the neck of their 5, even if I could find one is way too wide for me, but the size of the 4 is the same as one of the 5s I already have, so it would seem an option

I had a Hipshot 4+1 on a P bass. It was ok but for me the break angle on the D at the bridge was too shallow and it moved a bit. The pickup was fine. I eventually took it off and flogged the bass. I then took a Sue Ryder bass and put monorail bridge pieces on it to turn it into a 5 string because....... I was bored. It worked fine but I found the spacing too tight. I flogged that as well. There is probably a thread in the build forum.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1483006381' post='3204007']
Thats the best idea if that bass exists blue. But if it doesn't there isn't that choice.
[/quote]

Agreed, however and I haven't read all the posts here. Wouldn't conversion means a new neck, new pick ups and electronics, new bridge?

Building one from scratch seems to make more sense.

I'm glad I'm a "dyed in the wool" 4 string guy.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483035159' post='3204352']

Agreed, however and I haven't read all the posts here. Wouldn't conversion means a new neck, new pick ups and electronics, new bridge?

Building one from scratch seems to make more sense.

I'm glad I'm a "dyed in the wool" 4 string guy.

Blue
[/quote]

My Stingray 5 necks probably aren't much wider if at all than some P bass necks, new nut and an extra tuner, different bridge job done. Results may vary, wildly.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483035159' post='3204352']
[/quote]

Not a new neck no, and not really any reason to change pickups or electronics. You would need a new bridge, nut and a new hole for tuner.

If you wanted a new neck then yes, there would be no point doing that and from scratch would be easier.