Why become a member? ×

Scam messages on Basschat

moooper

[quote name='moooper' timestamp='1481655609' post='3194102']
I received a message on Sunday from an advert I put in the wanted section. I received an email today that seems to be a scam. Has this happened to anyone else on here? I had my doubts on the day as it was a new member signed up on Sunday.
[/quote]
I have a Warwick I might sell. Its a 5er, but not a Streamer.
There is a Streamer 5 for sale in the Marketplace, but it's fretless.

WRT the scammer, you could PM a Mod with the person's ID and they can check if this person has a 2nd ID - in case you've upset someone. (Unlikely as you've not been here long yourself)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1481658726' post='3194134']
That's really no way treat a Nigerian Prince.
[/quote]

Well to be honest I banned him so I can have the investment opportunity (he's building a dam and needs my help) all to myself. See you on the flipside, losers!

I had a scam email late last week, not through BC but my normal email address. Not seen this one before and almost fell for it.

Email comes through on my phone apparently from iTunes with an invoice for downloading Farm Simulator 16 and Call of Duty: Zombies with link to click in case of dispute. After texting No.1 Son to find out what he's been up to - and getting the reply 'It wasn't me!!!', I realised that you can't download XBox or PS games from iTunes; further examination later that evening to genuine invoices from iTunes for songs downloaded show further errors in the layout and content of the scam invoice. Examination of the link gave a Canadian furniture chain as its destination (obviously been hijacked) so the whole thing was deleted from my system with no links clicked.

Keep an eye out for this one; I can normally spot these scams / trojans at ten paces but this one nearly got me.

"Hello kind seller, i want to bye your bass to me, it is what i am perfect looking for for my son.
What is your full asking price to me, i pay this price so you know i am serious for it.
i want this to be sent right away to my son so i can send a collector.
i can not collect this item i work off shore on an oil rig so i order from there.
so you know i am real i am prepaired to pay rightaway by paypal
only when you have the money in your account you can send the item to my son for his birthday
he is looking forward to getting this item.
give me your paypal address and i pay today.
take this item off ebay now and i will take it"

Bla Bla Bla....

Yea right,

how does the paypall scam work ? if it shows up in your account ?
can they call it back once sent ?

i had a few when i have sold basses on ebay, but gumtree seems really bad

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1481750695' post='3194915']
"Hello kind seller, i want to bye your bass to me, it is what i am perfect looking for for my son.
What is your full asking price to me, i pay this price so you know i am serious for it.
i want this to be sent right away to my son so i can send a collector.
i can not collect this item i work off shore on an oil rig so i order from there.
so you know i am real i am prepaired to pay rightaway by paypal
only when you have the money in your account you can send the item to my son for his birthday
he is looking forward to getting this item.
give me your paypal address and i pay today.
take this item off ebay now and i will take it"

Bla Bla Bla....

Yea right,

how does the paypall scam work ? if it shows up in your account ?
can they call it back once sent ?

i had a few selling when i have sold basses on ebay, but gumtree seems really bad
[/quote]
Yup, a guy on a motoring forum I use lost a camera worth £700 that way. He posted it to an address in Nottingham and that was the last he saw of it. Person who's net the. Only claimed the account was hacked so PayPal claimed it back. I think the scammer here is PayPal as much as anyone as the seller did nothing wrong but they don't care. What do you pay the fee for after all. It was painful to read the stress the guy went through over a couple of weeks as he desperately needed the money.