Why become a member? ×

Am I gonna regret this?

ivansc

A singer acquaintance who I know gigs quite regularly in France put out a call to borrow a bass or upright and amp for a one-off gig locally. Lady bassist fom Nice who is visiting.

Without thinking it through, I responded that she could borrow my MB rig and either a bass guitar or my electric upright.

Wondering if this was a good idea now but not sure how to say "I changed my mind".

yeah - the guy asking is a long standing musical friend & I now find that the gig is in a pub in Cambridge, so I can go along to both keep an eye on the stuff, offer help where needed and of course, enjoy the music. Happy ending so far. Hope she likes the bass.

check your insurance (do you have insurance?) I've just been asked to lend a mate my most expensive bass for his band to record their album with, which I don't mind, but I once lent him a Les Paul for a band we were both in and got it back less a big chunk of the binding (which he did offer to pay to repair, but it adds to the road worn look).

So he's had a strong talking to about keeping it in a hard case, and I've checked that my insurance covers any location and does not require me to be using it should anything untoward occur.

You do realise that the punishment on BC for even mentioning sharing or landing kit is to have you and all your immediate family burned to the ground ?

Someone will be along soon to tell you the story about the time they loaned their bass amp to a visiting double bass player from France and she set fire to it, beat up an old lady with the still-smouldering carcass and then framed the owner for an armed robbery in Frankfurt in 1976.

Edited by ahpook

Well it turned out to be an odd night.
Lady bass player was lovely and started out using my upright - until it kept dying, changed the (very recently installed) battery and it still kept cutting out so she did the night on my regular bass.

In the end a good time was had by all and we are now facebook friends and all that stuff.

Oh and it turned out to be the cheap crap jack socket Stagg stick in their eubs, which I fixed temporarily but am replacing with the switchcraft stereo socket I just ordered!