Why become a member? ×

Darryl Jones

Rich

I first heard DAryl Jones on this track which was featured on one of those plastic discs on the front of Guitar Player magazine. I couldn't get the core line to work then and still can't today, despite it only containing four notes.

John Scofield's Techno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdoFDl1N-eI

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1480504627' post='3184852']
It's disappointing that the BBC are using a racial angle in their headlines. It's nowt to do with the colour of his skin.
[/quote]

It falls in neatly with their "black and British" week. I find it all very confusing, are we supposed to be blind to the colour of someone's skin or are we supposed to acknowledge it, or does it just depend on the day of the week?

Jagger is a notoriously tight bastard.

He allegedly refused to give writing credits to Jones and Wyman for several of the Stones biggest hits and more recently tried to claim that his marriage to Jerry Hall was never legitimate under UK law, in order to try to dodge paying her any alimony.

As others have said it was the 90s before Ron Wood was made an official member of the Stones.

Agreed, so not a news item , especially with the implied racist overtones.

Other bands which spring to mind whose set up is in a similar vein include Wet Wet Wet & The Mavericks.

Seem to remember The Hollies once sacked singer Allan Clarke and then hired him on an
ad hoc basis for tours and recording etc??

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1480516919' post='3185037']
I thought that was Nick Mason.
[/quote]

Definitely Richard Wright.

Waters decided he wasn't pulling his weight so sacked him from the band, then reemployed him on a wage as a session musician.

Ironically this resulted in Wright being the only band member who didn't end up taking a fairly hefty financial hit after the ruinously expensive Wall tour.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1480517694' post='3185042']
Everybody's calling it a 'non-story' and 'not news'... well given that it's in the Magazine section, I don't think it's actually intended to be news, just an item of interest.
[/quote]

Aye, but they know it's a sticky (excuse the pun) story. It's been prominently featured on the news homepage, on the sidebar in other stories, and posted on FB.

The headline is mischievous at best, and at worst is irresponsible.

[quote name='Bikenbass' timestamp='1480510899' post='3184947']
Another non story from the disgusting bbc. Surprised this hasn't been picked up by the victoria derbyshire show and passed off as news or had the tag line "are you black/a bass player/overlooked, if so, please contact us (because it's a cheap way of getting a story)" added. :)
[/quote]Spot on - they're experts at making stuff up these days. And where was the drone above Daryl's house?

Classic BBC News stirring and frankly unhelpful to put poor Mr Jones in the middle of it. But it is a [i]bit[/i] worrying. Because if you're white you're twice as likely to rise through the ranks at the nation's favourite newscaster than if you're black.

While the Beeb is 'inclusively' on the national average at about 13% BAME out of all its staff, it transpires that 73 out of 76 BBC news managers are white - that's a whopping 96%. Furthermore: despite a much publicised drive for diversity led by the DG himself the number of BAME's leaving the BBC nearly tripled in the last year from 173 to 379 out of a total of 2,405. The net YOY increase from 2014 was a mere 42 jobs.

Allowing for a shifting number of additional sidemen and backing singers one suspects the Stones are considerably 'blacker' employers than the pallid, simpering Lord Tony Hall at the BBC.
[color=#faebd7].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1480529223' post='3185157']
Classic BBC News stirring and frankly unhelpful to put poor Mr Jones in the middle of it.
[/quote]

Absolutely. Mind, I can't help thinking Mr. Jones possibly said more than he should... I bet he wishes he'd kept [i]schtum[/i].

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1480530177' post='3185166']
Absolutely. Mind, I can't help thinking Mr. Jones possibly said more than he should... I bet he wishes he'd kept [i]schtum[/i].
[/quote]

I expect he said lots of things that might have offset the insinuations of racism. Hack journalism is as much about what one leaves out as what one publishes.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1480537784' post='3185261']
It's an unfortunate thing when in writing a paragraph about the history of the Blues, the journalist namechecks "Howlin Woolf". Was he Virginia's brother?
[/quote]

Oh, [i]well[/i] spotted, Sir!

Reminds me of the BBC DJ who introduced a song by that little old band from Texas 'Zed Zed Top'.