Why become a member? ×

Can my Squier handle La Bella flats?

Shambo

I like La Bella flatwounds. I love their tone and I like their heavy tension.
I've also taken recent delivery of a Classic Vibe 50's Precision, which would seem like an ideal candidate to fit with my favourite strings.

I have a hazy memory of reading somewhere on here about someone who had encountered neck issues with a Squier and heavy flats. Something about their pull being too strong for the truss rod to fully compensate for.

Did I imagine this? Any words of caution or should I just go for it?
I'm thinking about the 'standard' set, (not the heavier 'Jamerson' set), and I've got an allen key and I'm not afraid to use it.

I haven't heard that tale myself. I used to have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz, which I put Steve Harris Flats on.
I found they were pretty high tension, and I had to adjust the truss rod to compensate for that, and it was absolutely fine
The VM series Squiers (made in Indonesia) are good quality, well constructed instruments, though the neck doesn't feel as hard a wood as the Classic Vibe (made in China) series... In fact, my CV P bass seems to weigh more than the VM Jazz bass I used to own - though I never weighed them properly

I still have a Classic Vibe Precision, and it's a superb bass - really great quality, well built, great construction and finish
When changing strings to higher tension flats, I'd expect to have to adjust the truss rod on any bass. I wouldn't worry about that, and I'm sure it's well made enough to handle the adjustment. Though I use rounds on my CV P, I'd have no hesitation in adjusting if I decided on flats - go for it

Some other BC'er must have fitted flats on their Classic Vibe.... anyone done this?

Edited by Marc S

Yep, my 50's CV has Labella heavy flats (the Jameson set) and is fine.

So have several other Squiers I have, all fine. you'll be OK.

Obviously I had to adjust the setup, but once I had all good. As Marc S says above the CV's are very good quality basses and can be setup with whatever strings, action etc. you want.

Edited by NoirBass

It wasn't a Squier, but I had a five-string OLP neck which just didn't have enough range on the truss rod to get a good setup with 0.045" to 0.130" Ernie Ball flatwounds (which are at the stiff end of things). It wasn't entirely unplayable, it just always had too much relief for a low-action setup even when adding washers to the truss rod. So it does seem to be a thing that can happen with some necks.
But if you're not going for the heavy Jamerson set and others have been OK with the same bass it'll probably be fine.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1478081148' post='3166540']
It wasn't a Squier, but I had a five-string OLP neck which just didn't have enough range on the truss rod to get a good setup with 0.045" to 0.130" Ernie Ball flatwounds......
[/quote]

That surprises me, as I've heard nothing but good reports about OLPs

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1478077708' post='3166496']Some other BC'er must have fitted flats on their Classic Vibe.... anyone done this?
[/quote]

Yes, done it and no issues. Obviously if you are changing gauge I'd get a set up but it shouldn't be an issue and if you look after your gear it certainly won't damage the bass.

I had le Bella flats on my Squier VM Precision and had no problems at all, I have had at least twenty P's in the last few years and I would say that the Squier VM Precision was the sturdiest of the lot, its built like a tank and the neck seemed particularly strong to me.

Put them on with confidence, you wont have any problems. :)

Edit: Sorry I've just noticed that you have the classic vibe, but I'm sure they will be of similar build and quality.

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1478199349' post='3167527']
IMO any modern bass that can't handle high tension strings is obviously faulty and should be returned to the shop for a refund as "unfit for purpose".
[/quote]
Absolutely, but it's pre-loved bass on this occasion... every occasion TBH, when it comes to my instrument purchases.

I'm not too worried though, having confirmed others have fitted them to CV and VM basses with no problems. Perhaps I did imagine the issue?
Maybe it wouldn't be advisable with an Affinity bass?

I'm hoping to make a couple of tweaks and find my high tension/low action happy place.

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1478268014' post='3168047']
La Bella's just fitted and sounding and feeling lovely. Just the [b]one schoolboy error[/b].

[attachment=231433:WP_20161104_13_43_44_Pro.jpg]

I'll give them a couple of days on the guitar then begin a proper set up.
[/quote]

One? I can see two! :)

After 24 hours on the guitar, action medium low and a bit of buzz across the A & D on the 7th fret. The neck is very straight so, absolutely no issues with the ability to handle the string tension.

I've slightly loosened the truss rod and the buzz has gone. I'll let it settle and see how it feels tomorrow...see it I can get the action down a bit lower. B)