Why become a member? ×

Jamiroquai - Emergency On Planet Earth, 23 years on.

interpol52

When I was 18 I knew the basslines on this album inside out, I loved it. I got the Return of The Space Cowboy album and really didn't like it so I went off them a bit. 20 odd years on and I listened to this today while I was doing some decorating, I appreciated it in a far different way than I used to. Before I just loved the basslines, now I see the brilliance in Stuart Zender even more as a part of the whole piece of work. I hear some of the influences I missed first time round, some Jaco there in the bass and also some James Brown in the vocals aside from the obvious Stevie Wonder.

So now I need a Warwick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjp1vPLkBBQ

Ah yes, I was there too! My perspective was that Stu just grew and grew through the albums, offering something different each time. Just as you nailed a few of his lines, he comes out with more! I loved all of the SZ albums, I think they began to loose something that made them special as people were replaced. So although the later albums still offer a taste, they are not for me...

Not really listened to SZ since, although I follow him on Facebook, which now I think about it, is a little weird!!😀

I was listening to this the other day -has to be one of the outstanding bass albums of the 90s.

Personally I think Jamiroquai lost it over time as they stopped being a band where everyone contributed and slowly morphed into JK's personal ego trip.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1477598352' post='3163315']
For me there finest record. Bass playing from Mr X. which I believe is Ernie Mckowne from various later Incognito fame. It's just fantastic playing. http://youtu.be/y9DHDTu0jT0
[/quote]

Mystery solved - I'd often wondered who it was.

It was definitely a Warwck Streamer on EOPE and he used a Boss multi fx board to get that awesome envelope filter and synth bass type sounds. This is one of my all time favourite albums, I remember seeing them on The Word on Friday night and buying the cassette from Our Price the very next day - I still love it as much today as I did then and it set me on a journey to discover jazz/funk that I am still on now!

Back then was a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 four string, Stage 2 fiver (the Jamiroquai bass with the blanket paint job), Stage 2 fretless (can't remember if it's on the records), Stage 1 eight string (ditto), and Alembic Essence 4. Seen him using a P back then once too. Used 35-95 strings back in the day according to interview, same as I used to use.

There were a couple of other Warwicks too towards the end IIRC, possibly one chrome five and one white five?

Edited by 4000

No, I had a Streamer Stage 2 and it was a 4 string but had ying yang fret markers amongst other things so suggest it was just a slightly different model. I loved that bass until some bastard smashed a window and nicked it out of my car!

35 - 95 is really light gauge strings!

Z[quote name='4000' timestamp='1478630333' post='3170477']
Back then was a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 four string, Stage 2 fiver (the Jamiroquai bass with the blanket paint job), Stage 2 fretless (can't remember if it's on the records), Stage 1 eight string (ditto), and Alembic Essence 4. Seen him using a P back then once too. Used 35-95 strings back in the day according to interview, same as I used to use.

There were a couple of other Warwicks too towards the end IIRC, possibly one chrome five and one white five?
[/quote]