Why become a member? ×

Communications issues in bands

EBS_freak

I think we've managed to get rid of all the unreliable musicians.
The band I'm in now, the guitarist started. He's always keen to answer & get things going. The singer has been good that way too.
The previous drummer was "on/off", but the new drummer has been to every jam on time.

We have a main group facebook chat plus some that include deps and other regular contributors. ie our band plus x.

It all works well as everyone can pick up messages via phone or pc ect. We can all see who has seen it so if someone didn't respond we would have to assume all is not well and address it.

I think band wise, if someone wants to join in they will and wont be a dick. Otherwise they are a dick.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1477563073' post='3162959']
I'm waiting for JTUK to tell us all his guys must be on 24/7 call via, email, mobile, skype, landline, whatsapp and BlackBerry messenger or they won't get past the first stage in his "pick up gig" selection process! Ha
[/quote]
Don't be silly, he just shouts down the tourbus to see who is available.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1477568056' post='3163006']
With us noone needs to get back. If you haven't crossed the date off on the bands Google calendar and something goes in, it's in, and your doing it or being replaced.
[/quote]

You are JTUK and I claim my £5..! :lol:

not too bad now, but when our old guitarist and drummer were losing interest it was a nightmare, me or more usually the singer would be chasing gigs and they would take ages to answer emails and texts, I think it's appalling bad manners not to reply as soon as possible, it really pisses me off

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1477568056' post='3163006']
With us noone needs to get back. If you haven't crossed the date off on the bands Google calendar and something goes in, it's in, and your doing it or being replaced.
[/quote]

Only three of a six-piece band bothered filling in our Google Calendar. Make that one less these days.

We have a secret FB group, where we post youtube links etc, but we communicate via a Viber group chat 'cause the singer -believe it or not- doesn't have a FB account. At least, things got faster when he got a smartphone.

Edited by krismpos

[quote name='krismpos' timestamp='1477575481' post='3163098']
We have a secret FB group, where we post youtube links etc, but we communicate via a Viber group chat 'cause the singer -believe it or not- doesn't have a FB account. At least, things got faster when he got a smartphone.
[/quote]
One of the singers in my band doesn't have FB. The guitarist refuses to use WhatsApp and never checks email...

So it's a case of repeating the same message and delivering it through as many channels as I can.

If I had my way, I'd get everybody on Slack and then everything can be nicely divvied up by gig, we can have attachments, discussions everything.... but no.

Pretty good comms in current band, though we are taking bookings well in advance so there's a chance that come the gig one of us might not be available anymore through unforseen circumstances. Def one in the book for next June that will need a dep drummer. I don't dwell on it, migh tbe sacked long before then so it becomes moot. Usually its a quick flurry of texts when a new date come sup then its in the book or not. We took a gig booking sometime around August for a date in Oct 2017! The gtr and singer are a couple so they both know at same time then me and drummer get back to them pretty sharpish generally.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1477576101' post='3163102']
One of the singers in my band doesn't have FB. The guitarist refuses to use WhatsApp and never checks email...

So it's a case of repeating the same message and delivering it through as many channels as I can.

If I had my way, I'd get everybody on Slack and then everything can be nicely divvied up by gig, we can have attachments, discussions everything.... but no.
[/quote] There are things my lot do and say that drive me up the wall but lack of communication skills is not one of them.

Clearly these people you put up with are so talented and in demand that they don't have to bother with it! I would have thought a very together chap like you with all the gear and gig getting skills could find replacements quite easily? They wouldn't know whats going on till its too late!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1477576101' post='3163102']

[/quote]

I hear you pal. Used to go with multiple phone calls to arrange the time and material for the next rehearsal. Once or twice I made an excel sheet with each member's availability to save a call or two :P

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1477582198' post='3163172']
Yeah - talented bunch.

I sent a drawing of a kn*b with his name next to it over the new text message thing in iOS 10. That seemed to accelerate his response.
[/quote]
Feel your pain. Its a bit like bullying though.............if you don't stand up to it.........

But yeah, if there were another one of em' available,local,enthusiastic,no delusions of grandeur ect.

There have been times when if only there were such a ready replacement and to be able to tell these "stars" what is what. Shame you cant nail instructions on the next gig/ rehearsal to their axe/ amp/ handbag / car ect