Why become a member? ×

Aggie SL112 vs TKS S112 vs Barefaced One 10 vs Barefaced Two 10... Help!

Mylkinut

Given my budget and space requirements, I think I've boiled down my cab choices to these four, and I need some help!

I've been and tried some amps, and really liked the TH500 so that's what these will be paired with. The rig will be used for rock and indie with my wedding/function band (so competing with two guitarists and an energetic drummer), usually playing with PA support but often not.

Youtube suggests I like the sound of all of them (especially the SL112), but how do they perform at gig volumes? All of them except the Two 10 would be used in pairs.

Any help would be great - I've been researching for ages, but knowing just how loud they can get seems tough to find out!

I run 2xS112s with a 800w amp, and they go loud enough. I run the 800w amp pretty hard and never had a problem but if I think the gig is iffy with regards to volume I use a DB212 and 750.
But that is more the way I play and I'm sure most other players wouldn't need that consideration

I rated the SL112's but chose the TKS for sound, and they are lighter too, I believe, which was a nice bonus.

I was in a similar position to you recently & went with 2x TKS S112 in the end (well I bought one & then a second a couple of months later due to "cash flow" but similar circumstances). When I was testing things out I used my own gear & everything set flat on my (old solid-state, 300w) amp:

The SL112's were nice sounding but very much aimed at the "vintage" market IMO - more bassy than the TKS but slightly less focussed.

The Barefaced one10 wasn't available when I started looking & I didn't consider the two10 because of the 4/12ohm option thing - I understand that using two 12 ohm cabs would sound the same for most as two 8 ohm cabs, but for various reasons, I want two 8 ohm cabs (I can't be bothered to go into them but sometimes the customer just has to have what the customer wants).

I've tried some 12" BF cabs (borrowed from other bassists, not bought then returned) too but their sound & appearance weren't for me.

The TKS S112's were naturally the least bassy for me, though a small boost on the amp bought them up to level (though I don't think that kind of bass is useful for a lot of my band situations) - they did have the most interesting tone & a nice focussed sound. One on it's own not being pushed has a nice kind of mellow woody tone whereas two being pushed a bit by the amp take on a somewhat aggressive tone (some won't like this). If you do go for this option don't be worried about the cloth grill not offering as much protection as the metal grill as they glue the cloth to the metal grill giving it a vintage look but still decent protection.

Honourable mention should go to the Phil Jones 4x5" cab (I've forgotten the model name); really surprisingly loud for the size & a decent tone out of it too.

The TH500 pairs nicely with the Barefaced RetroTwo10, providing you don`t want crystal clear hi-fi highs. I have one - paired with the Four10 of the same range - and it`s a nice warm smooth sounding cab, and doesn`t break up much even when a fair amount of gain/drive is thrown at it. Unfortunately for me, I need that gain/drive so I`m switching cabs, but I`d happily recommend the Retro range to anyone wanting a warmer more traditional bass sound. And this doesn`t mean you can`t get highs with them, just not super-modern hi-fi highs.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1476114313' post='3151431']
The TH500 pairs nicely with the Barefaced RetroTwo10, providing you don`t want crystal clear hi-fi highs. I have one - paired with the Four10 of the same range - and it`s a nice warm smooth sounding cab, and doesn`t break up much even when a fair amount of gain/drive is thrown at it. Unfortunately for me, I need that gain/drive so I`m switching cabs, but I`d happily recommend the Retro range to anyone wanting a warmer more traditional bass sound. And this doesn`t mean you can`t get highs with them, just not super-modern hi-fi highs.
[/quote]

Are your cabs going back to BF Towers or are they out of the trial period (and hence is it possible for me to get in trouble very soon...?!)

It's worth adding Bergnatino and Vanderkley to your list. Both excellent cabs, with Berg's having the edge for me with their honkier midrange. The Vanderkley has more bottom :)

I haven't tried the Aguilar or the TKS though!

I had the TKS with a TH500, it is a great pairing. With a P bass strung with flats the tone was absolutely spot on for old skool motown vibes. They were also perfectly made and looked wonderful. It was a great plug in and play setup. I only shifted the TKS as I needed something more 'modern' sounding. If I could have afforded to keep them as well I would have.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1476114872' post='3151444']
Are your cabs going back to BF Towers or are they out of the trial period (and hence is it possible for me to get in trouble very soon...?!)
[/quote]

Out of trial, so here comes trouble :lol:

I have the SL112's (pair of) and TH 500.

I use mine in a similar setting, plus festivals, big gigs, small gigs and everything in between.

I'm really happy with it as a set up and have never had sound / volume issues and also play with a 'strong' drummer.

You're more than welcome to have a go on my rig if that helps, but I'm in North Wales....

I found one Barefaced One10 surprisingly loud when I last gigged mine in a pub (Rock/Funk band with guitar and keys). I'm awaiting a second and I think this will be plenty loud enough for most if not all gigs with my Quilter BB800. The One10 produces a low end that belies it's size. I'd rather have the bass available and be able to dial it out if needs be.
If I need more ( :o) volume and more high end I have 2 x TKS1126. I chose the 1126 because I felt that the TKS S112 did not have enough low end for the sound I want and the Aguilar SL112, I feel, lacks punch.

I have a pair of TKS S112s and they are great. Lightweight, well-constructed, lovely sound and stylish. I run them with a Markbass LMIII and they are loud enough and focussed. With my P bass (with flats) they sound perfect for anything old school and when I run my ACG Finn through them they really capture the more modern clarity of that bass too.

Basically, I've tried the Aguilar DB range, GS range, , SL range, Markbass cabs, Mesa Boogie cabs and so on and the TKS cabs are hands down my favourite. Also, find a way to justify the V-frame because it'll be worth it long-term. They just look so much nicer (IMO)!

Edited by skej21

I'd be more inclined to say the bass is the biggest influence re a modern sound rather than the cabs...
Since my preference is for a woody Jazz sound (RW) but clean and toppy in a sound that doesn't/wont hide, both the DB ans TKS cabs work for me.

I would agree they aren't a vintage vibe only although there might be 'cleaner' cabs but whilst people say they want this, they tend to want grit in their chain anyway.
The PF500 driven hard into S112's gives you enough break-up as well...not really my sound at all, but done well, was glorious.

I have 2 TKS S112s. Brilliant cabs. Love them. Thought about selling them briefly, as i was going through our PA. Very glad i didn't!!

I have also tried the Retro 210, which again was great. As people have said, more lows in them, but i find that the TKS has a tone that i just prefer. Reason i went for the TKS over the Retro 210 was because that gave me the option to take just 1 cab.

The Bergs were fantastic cabs too. I had the HD range. Cant fault them. They were just a bit heavier than i liked. Sound wise though, they were great.

I have no experience of the others mentioned here.