Why become a member? ×

NBD! Attitude time!

ern500evo

Well I finally did it! I've fancied trying one of these for years, initially put off by reports of massive neck profiles, and also the thought that people who know what, or rather who's signature bass it is, expecting you to be able to pull off an onslaught of overdriven riffs, licks and tricks. All I can say is I wish I'd thought "sod it" sooner! Bought from our very own Torvic, it was due to arrive on Thursday but a delay with UPS meant it arrived late afternoon on Friday, just a few hours before I had to leave for a gig, so it was a case of tune it, try it, gig it, in a very short space of time. First impressions, it's very well built, a good level of fit and finish, it feels like you could knock down walls with it! Was able to take it straight out and gig it last night, set up was fine, and im guessing Vic restrung it recently, still lots of snap and bite in the strings, which going by the coloured ball ends I'm thinking are D'Addario Pro steels, which I use on most of my basses anyway so that was a bit of a result. I played it in mono mode through a GK MB Fusion and a Barefaced Big Twin 2, I did have a Ashdown James Lomenzo hyperdrive plugged in which I used on just a few songs. Sound wise, to me at least, it sounds like a P bass on steroids! Soloing just the split P pup gives you a typical p bass tone but with added meat, due to the DiMarzio pup. Using both pups on full seems to reduce the volume slightly but really smooth the tone out, I found for me the sweet spot was to have the P pup wide open, woofer pup at about 60% and tone on full. It sounded fantastic for last nights rock covers gig, lots of clarity and bite but with a real weight to the bottom end. It does feel a fair bit heavier than my Bongo, but not enough that it's going to cause me a problem. It does have a small amount of neck dive, lettimg go of the neck sees it drop to a more or less perfectly horizontal position, so not a huge amount of neck dive but it does drop slightly when you let go. I've been using a Neotech mega strap and, as much as I love it, I'm thinking that I may buy something different for this bass, the added weight and that slight neck dive doesn't seem to be helped by the neotech's springy feel. On the whole though, I'm really glad I finally went and did it, slightly saddened that it meant saying goodbye to my beloved Streamer to fund it but I'm sure once I've played this a bit more it'll more than make up for it!
[URL=http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/ern500evo/media/39D7485F-9A51-4181-9E78-1689111EDBEE_zpsnakd3yb4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b502/ern500evo/39D7485F-9A51-4181-9E78-1689111EDBEE_zpsnakd3yb4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by ern500evo

I've got it's younger, more humble sibling. The one with the single output and normal fretboard.
It's the most aggressive P bass I've ever played. And wonderfully, dialling in the woofer just adds major lows without changing the inherent Precision growl. No frequency cancellation like a Jazz. How it does this I don't know but it's a wonderful bass. And it looks cool as hell.

Also, if you're on Facebook, there's a group page dedicated to the Attitude Basses, which Billy is a member of and regularly chips in on stuff. Well worth a visit. Some very knowledgable guys on there.

I have 2 Attitudes, a black version 2, and a blue version 3. What I will say is they really come alive when you use both outputs, and although it is definitely the best way to experience it, you don't always need 2 amps to do this. You can use the EBS Billy sheehan pedal (either standard or deluxe version) to get a very good sound using both pickups (I do exactly that)..

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1476267030' post='3152788']
Also, if you're on Facebook, there's a group page dedicated to the Attitude Basses, which Billy is a member of and regularly chips in on stuff. Well worth a visit. Some very knowledgable guys on there.

I have 2 Attitudes, a black version 2, and a blue version 3. What I will say is they really come alive when you use both outputs, and although it is definitely the best way to experience it, you don't always need 2 amps to do this. You can use the EBS Billy sheehan pedal (either standard or deluxe version) to get a very good sound using both pickups (I do exactly that)..
[/quote]
I have 'liked' the Attitude FB page and yes there are some very knowledgable and friendly guys on there! I did see a post from Jon Willis about using an EBS pedal to use both outputs to a single amp, looks like my Hyperdrive pedal is going to be replaced now then! 😄

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1476267403' post='3152797']
How are you getting on with the neck?
[/quote]
It's really nowhere near as bad as I was expecting, to be honest. I've owned USA P''s and Stingrays so, although I went from a Streamer with a tiny neck profile, it's not as much of a shock as I thought it would be. I took it to a gig on Friday, just a couple of hours after taking delivery, and played it all night, with my Bongo sat on the stand right next to me, which is a pretty good sign for me!

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1476289618' post='3153093']
I have 'liked' the Attitude FB page and yes there are some very knowledgable and friendly guys on there! I did see a post from Jon Willis about using an EBS pedal to use both outputs to a single amp, looks like my Hyperdrive pedal is going to be replaced now then!
[/quote]

Yeah Jon Willis is a very cool guy, always posting some new way to connect certain things up to acheive tonal heaven!

I can whole heartidly recommend the EBS Sheehan pedals, I've had both versions and currently use the deluxe model. Rigged up using both outputs, it's the best sound I've ever had, by a country mile.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1476361516' post='3153633']

Yeah Jon Willis is a very cool guy, always posting some new way to connect certain things up to acheive tonal heaven!

I can whole heartidly recommend the EBS Sheehan pedals, I've had both versions and currently use the deluxe model. Rigged up using both outputs, it's the best sound I've ever had, by a country mile.
[/quote]
Cool, thanks for the heads up, I think I'm going to have to give it a try!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1476362585' post='3153646']
Can't sniff at Yamaha's build quality. I miss my BBNE2 - I haven't seen another instrument built as well.
[/quote]
I'm really impressed with that side of it Russ, its just so well put together. My 2 main basses now are this and my Bongo Stealth, the fit and finish on both instruments is absolutely first class.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1476361516' post='3153633']

[/quote]

Hi, would you mind explaining your pedal set up?

I've seen the Jon Willis set up, do you use any other pedals into the EBS?

Thanks,

Damian

[quote name='DeeC16' timestamp='1476392926' post='3153996']
Hi, would you mind explaining your pedal set up?

I've seen the Jon Willis set up, do you use any other pedals into the EBS?

Thanks,

Damian
[/quote]

Sure, no problem Damian.

In it's simplest form, you plug the Split-P pickup output into the 'normal' input of the EBS pedal. Then plug the woofer pickup output into the 'clean loop' with a standard cable.

What happens when you do this is the 'clean' volume on the pedal only comes from the woofer pickup, and the drive channel controls are only fed from the split-P pickup. You can then control the balance between the 2 signals with each volume knob on the pedal (and/or the bass if you like). I also like to roll the tone completely off on the woofer pickup, this helps even more with the frequency separation.

There's a great youtube video by Erik Arko (another great contributor to the attiude FB page) which shows the acheived sound with this setup really well. Here:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaMxy46fZxU"]https://www.youtube....h?v=OaMxy46fZxU[/url]

Enjoy! This will work with either of the EBS Billy Sheehan pedals.

EDIT: For my own personal setup (deluxe model pedal), I also have an octaver in-between the woofer pup output and the clean loop, for occasional use.

I have the drive all the way down, and the tone at about 10 o'clock. Then use the 'boost' button for extra drive as necessary. Boost internal trim pot set to max.

Phase switch set to normal and compressor set to high.

Edited by LewisK1975

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1476433103' post='3154174']
Sure, no problem Damian.

In it's simplest form, you plug the Split-P pickup output into the 'normal' input of the EBS pedal. Then plug the woofer pickup output into the 'clean loop' with a standard cable.

What happens when you do this is the 'clean' volume on the pedal only comes from the woofer pickup, and the drive channel controls are only fed from the split-P pickup. You can then control the balance between the 2 signals with each volume knob on the pedal (and/or the bass if you like). I also like to roll the tone completely off on the woofer pickup, this helps even more with the frequency separation.

There's a great youtube video by Erik Arko (another great contributor to the attiude FB page) which shows the acheived sound with this setup really well. Here:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaMxy46fZxU"]https://www.youtube....h?v=OaMxy46fZxU[/url]

Enjoy! This will work with either of the EBS Billy Sheehan pedals.

EDIT: For my own personal setup (deluxe model pedal), I also have an octaver in-between the woofer pup output and the clean loop, for occasional use.

I have the drive all the way down, and the tone at about 10 o'clock. Then use the 'boost' button for extra drive as necessary. Boost internal trim pot set to max.

Phase switch set to normal and compressor set to high.
[/quote]

Cheers Lewis, much appreciated.

I'll have a go at this set up over the next week or so.