Why become a member? ×

Wot, no new Beatles film and album thread

PaulWarning

I am not a massive beatles fan, or much of a music historian, but I cant help feeling that people saying that the Beatles were not that big a deal in the UK are wrong. Surely 20 number 1 hits when it was more difficult to get hits in the mid 60's than today, is testament to how big they were here. Rhianna could overtake them as she is on 14, but take any song the Beatles did with Umbrella from Rhianna, and the Beatles songs were masterpieces

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1475074654' post='3142839']
This is the part of the puzzle that I feel is missing...

[url="https://www.amazon.com/British-Rock-Guitar-Mo-Foster/dp/0857160001/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1475074300&sr=1-1&keywords=mo+foster"]British Rock Guitar ...[/url]

Highly recommended, it gives invaluable insight (from one, and not the least, who 'was there'...) into the history of the British music scene, from post-war (mostly...) up to recent times. The chain of influences is clearly visible, and the immense stock of anecdotes and insights of what was happening is a delight to read (and re-read...). There is, of course, mention of The Beatles in there, at their just measure, and more, far more. A treasure of a book. Worth a look, maybe, for those seriously interested in the history of music, straight from the source..? B)
[/quote]

On my list of must read now, thank you.

[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-semioli/british-rock-history-guitar_b_4949603.html"]http://www.huffingto..._b_4949603.html[/url]

Now then Blue, most of the time folks are just funnin'. I like your posts, say what you feel. BC would be the duller without them.

Edited by grandad

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1475089783' post='3143030']
I dropped a ton of $$ on made in Germany HofnerLimited Edition of the Club Bass with pre 1964 cavern club PU spacing.

I also have and wear athe same tab cited military style blazers The Beatles wore for the 1965 Shea Stadium show.

Blue
[/quote]

Which is worse, that blazer or a friend of mine who had his own Star Trek uniform, you be the judge?
We'll not mention the netting T-shirt over a white silk shirt with a red silk neck-scarf (with black polka dots) that I used to wear to Slade events for quite a few years - it went with the bass, it had to be done.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1475094708' post='3143085']

Which is worse, that blazer or a friend of mine who had his own Star Trek uniform, you be the judge?
We'll not mention the netting T-shirt over a white silk shirt with a red silk neck-scarf (with black polka dots) that I used to wear to Slade events for quite a few years - it went with the bass, it had to be done.
[/quote]

Oh yeah , and I have a brand new pair of black suede Beatle boots with Cuban heels that I ordered from a shop in London.They fit great.

Blue

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1475087844' post='3143005']

Absolutely not taking the pee... what on earth gave you that idea?

I posted a US chart to illustrate the size of the leap from a US perspective - check out Terry Stafford singing suspicion. [url="http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19630905/7501/"]The UK chart in August '63 tells a similar story[/url]. A lot of those bands probably lost a career within weeks.

Buddy Holly was fab, and deserves his place in music history, but... he wasn't a gang of scallywags. And could you imagine him tearing his throat up on I Saw Her Standing There...? 'Cos I can't.
[/quote]

I find Buddy Holly fascinating. If his career hadn't been cut so short and allowed to develop he would have been one of the best.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474854637' post='3141058']
If you were into music and you were born in 1952 you won the lottery ticket of life.
[/quote]

That will be for history to decide, and only after we're long gone. I plan on looking forward for a good while yet, backward can wait in this particular case.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1475165910' post='3143682']
Being born 25 later allows you to enjoy everything someone born in 1952 has plus an extra 25 years worth of new music, there might be a much better band than the Beatles in 30 years time!
[/quote]

Your experience of that first 25 years would be quite different than those that grew up in it and lived through it.

Sorry, it's just the truth and I'm not budging on this one.

Blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1475181727' post='3143904']
Can you not see that the younger person will at least be able to enjoy a fraction of the Beatles that you did yet being dead will completely stop someone enjoying anything after their demise?
[/quote]

Yes, I can. But if a young person happens not to like The Beatles, your point is moot.

Blue

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1475090405' post='3143036']
I am not a massive beatles fan, or much of a music historian, but I cant help feeling that people saying that the Beatles were not that big a deal in the UK are wrong. Surely 20 number 1 hits when it was more difficult to get hits in the mid 60's than today, is testament to how big they were here. Rhianna could overtake them as she is on 14, but take any song the Beatles did with Umbrella from Rhianna, and the Beatles songs were masterpieces
[/quote]

I actually heard a song that Paul worked with Rhianna on. It was pretty cool.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1475180577' post='3143884']
Your experience of that first 25 years would be quite different than those that grew up in it and lived through it.

Sorry, it's just the truth and I'm not budging on this one.

Blue
[/quote]

No facts - remember? Just your not so humble opinion.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1475187427' post='3143958']

Blue
[/quote]

Maybe - but I kinds get the feeling that if you were get hold of some of Paul McCartney's used toilet paper you'd be saying it was an artistic masterpiece.

I know Blue is big enough to defend himself, but I feel some comments are getting a bit over the top. Surely people have got Blue's number by now. I know he states opinions as facts, but I would have thought people would cut him so slack. I actually like his enthusiasm. I really think the you had to be there line is rubbish, but have a little restraint.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1475220006' post='3144047']
If there were no Beatles, there would still have been a David Bowie and there would still have been a Frank Zappa. [/quote]

Maybe, but we can only speculate as to what they would have actually been like.

And I have to say, I'm with Blue on the 'You had to be there' argument. Of course it's a factor - I can listen to and appreciate their music, but I imagine it's nowt compared to hearing it for the first time, along with everyone else. If Blue believes it was a life-changer, I'm not going to argue.

No new bands that broke during my lifetime have changed the world like Elvis, the Beatles or (at a push) punk did.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1475187427' post='3143958']

Blue
[/quote]

I thought it was pretty generic myself, didn't do much for me. But I do love the track that he did for the Sound City film/album! :happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBd9330h9kI

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1475220006' post='3144047']

Here's a question for you Blue - The Beatles in Mono or Stereo?
[/quote] That is an interesting question. One I never thought about, so I looked it up. Apparently the mono box set that was released in 2009 was played to a select audience on an $80000 mono player and told you will never hear it as good as that again.You really would need to be a massive fan to buy one of those. Would be good to listen to both mono and stereo on similarly specced machines to hear the difference

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1475230757' post='3144176']
Have a listen to these excerpts of the stereo/mono versions :)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtVF4zl_N0U[/media]
[/quote]just listened through headphones, the mono versions sound better to me, more heft :) , not a big fan of Pepper myself, the reprise is my favourite track