Why become a member? ×

Wot, no new Beatles film and album thread

PaulWarning

For heaven's sake....

Yes, Beatles were great and I like a lot of what they put out, but letsnot forget they in turn were influenced by Indian music, Elvis, Chuck Berry etc who in turn were influenced before. Ultimately there is always something that comes before.

For me if you like them, great, if not, great.... Taste is subjective and always will be. I love Zappa, my wife thinks it's the ugliest pile of sh&t she has ever heard. I am still quite fond of her.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1474405348' post='3137837']
We get asked for Sex On Fire more than anything by the Beatles at every gig we do.
[/quote]

We've been asked for Oasis two or three times but never the Beatles. We don't play anything by Oasis.

From our setlist, Blondie, Bryan Adams, Fleetwood Mac and the Pretenders are twice as influential as the Beatles, The Who are three times as influential, and they're on level par with Chuck Berry and Steppenwolf.

I'll probably get around to watching it, when it's on DVD or out to rent. I like watching music documentary film things, even if I'm not a fan of the artist or band.

For example, BBC4 had a doc about Kenny Rogers. I've never really listened to his material but the programme was very interesting. He's very driven to be good at whatever he does but is also very open minded musically. The part about his collaboration with Lionel Richie was good.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1474453605' post='3138076']
I like watching music documentary film things, even if I'm not a fan of the artist or band.

For example, BBC4 had a doc about Kenny Rogers. I've never really listened to his material but the programme was very interesting. He's very driven to be good at whatever he does but is also very open minded musically. The part about his collaboration with Lionel Richie was good.
[/quote]

I'm with you on that. I've never been much of a fan of Kate Bush or Mike Oldfield, but I've really enjoyed recent BBC4 Docs on both artists, that have given me insight into and appreciation for their music.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1474443317' post='3137996']
But that is exactly what you are saying and you can't defend that position because it's untenable. Not to mention bloody irritating!
[/quote]

I don't think it's untenable to suggest that living through Beatlemania gives one a clearer personal understanding of the contemporary impact of Beatlemania than someone who did [i]not[/i] live through Beatlemania.

For example, I'm fairly interested in WW2 and have access to far more information today than did those who were living through it at the time. But my knowledge does not extend to understanding what it felt like or to participate in a flow of events without knowing the outcome.

I know why Hitler halted his tanks at Dunkirk but I do not know (as my parents did) what it felt like to actually be strafed by a German 'tip and run' fighter-bomber or how it felt to wake on June 6th to learn that the invasion of Europe had started but also to have to accept that it might fail. In that respect my understanding of WW2 is different by virtue of being one step removed and knowing what happened in the end.

In any event, there's no point in getting irritated by other peoples' opinions. We all think what we think - and what we think is based on our accumulated (and differing) experiences. Which is a good thing, IMO. :)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474414170' post='3137924']- Tthe fact, that I didn't know what an electric guitar or bass was until I saw them.

- Maybe it was how I was impressed and amazed how professional their act was.

Blue
[/quote]

So I presume you saw them live more than once or is this grossly overstating the facts that an eight year old kid saw?
Wait, no, because they stopped touring shortly after.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1474486050' post='3138380']

I don't think it's untenable to suggest that living through Beatlemania gives one a clearer personal understanding of the contemporary impact of Beatlemania than someone who did [i]not[/i] live through Beatlemania.

For example, I'm fairly interested in WW2 and have access to far more information today than did those who were living through it at the time. But my knowledge does not extend to understanding what it felt like or to participate in a flow of events without knowing the outcome.

I know why Hitler halted his tanks at Dunkirk but I do not know (as my parents did) what it felt like to actually be strafed by a German 'tip and run' fighter-bomber or how it felt to wake on June 6th to learn that the invasion of Europe had started but also to have to accept that it might fail. In that respect my understanding of WW2 is different by virtue of being one step removed and knowing what happened in the end.

In any event, there's no point in getting irritated by other peoples' opinions. We all think what we think - and what we think is based on our accumulated (and differing) experiences. Which is a good thing, IMO. :)
[/quote]

And I believe Beatlemania hit us Yanks differently than you guys. Because of size we had more TV, radio, magazines and concert venues as well. To me they were bigger than life.

Blue

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1474487882' post='3138404']

So I presume you saw them live more than once or is this grossly overstating the facts that an eight year old kid saw?
Wait, no, because they stopped touring shortly after.

[/quote]

My Dad took me to the Shea Stadium show when they returned to the States after filming the United Artist film release "Help". An incredibly fun movie to this day. Although HDN is my favorite.

At 8 or 9 years old they had my mind open. I was more than ready at that age.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1474457708' post='3138134']

I'm with you on that. I've never been much of a fan of Kate Bush or Mike Oldfield, but I've really enjoyed recent BBC4 Docs on both artists, that have given me insight into and appreciation for their music.
[/quote]

Agreed, There are a lot of band documentaries I love whether I'm a fan or not.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474488559' post='3138406']
At 8 or 9 years old they had my mind open. I was more than ready at that age.

Blue
[/quote]

Pity they didn't get to know this child prodigy - they could have had their minds opened without resorting to LSD or any other drugs.
Maybe they'd have opened up a whole new avenue of production; The Blue Album, Blue Submarine, Maxwell's Blue Hammer, Bluebird

OR........

you did?
You inspired "Blue Jay Way"!!

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1474443317' post='3137996']

But that is exactly what you are saying and you can't defend that position because it's untenable. Not to mention bloody irritating!
[/quote]

What am I missing. I can imagine a 17 year old metal kid looking at live Beatle footage from the mid 60s ,saying " what the hell is this old crap" With no appreciation at all and rightfully so.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1474489146' post='3138412']

Pity they didn't get to know this child prodigy - they could have had their minds opened without resorting to LSD or any other drugs.
Maybe they'd have opened up a whole new avenue of production; The Blue Album, Blue Submarine, Maxwell's Blue Hammer, Bluebird

OR........

you did?
You inspired "Blue Jay Way"!!
[/quote]

Over my head?

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474488085' post='3138405']
And I believe Beatlemania hit us Yanks differently than you guys. Because of size we had more TV, radio, magazines and concert venues as well. To me they were bigger than life.

Blue
[/quote]

Indeed so. It's far too easy for us Brits to underestimate the impact that the Beatles had on America. For one thing, the indescribably appalling Freddie and The Dreamers scored a US #1 off the back of it.

If that's not proof, I don't know what is. I'm telling you now, it was total madness.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1474495850' post='3138469']

Indeed so. It's far too easy for us Brits to underestimate the impact that the Beatles had on America. For one thing, the indescribably appalling Freddie and The Dreamers scored a US #1 off the back of it.

If that's not proof, I don't know what is. I'm telling you now, it was total madness.
[/quote]

Agreed

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474489615' post='3138422']
Over my head?

Blue
[/quote]

Exactly, just like The Beatles would have been to an eight year old kid, but there's been another 50+ years of fading memories about that concert to enhance, enlarge and exaggerate since way back then.
NB. I'm only talking about this alleged "Road to Damascus" revelation at a concert by an eight year old kid who was "impressed by their professionalism" :lol: Any general fan-dom that came after is understandable for Cliff's sake!! Within the context and realm that an eight year old (and after) kid would muster.

It's more, a lot more than understanding a band. You really have to have a decent grasp of American and British history to truly understand this phenomenon.When it happened, Why it happened, why it hit so fast and so hard.

Why hasn't it happened since?(I'm praying someone doesn't think it has, because it hasn't)

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1474522472' post='3138509']

Exactly, just like The Beatles would have been to an eight year old kid, but there's been another 50+ years of fading memories about that concert to enhance, enlarge and exaggerate since way back then.
NB. I'm only talking about this alleged "Road to Damascus" revelation at a concert by an eight year old kid who was "impressed by their professionalism" :lol: Any general fan-dom that came after is understandable for Cliff's sake!! Within the context and realm that an eight year old (and after) kid would muster.
[/quote]

I'm not sure where your coming from.

Are you saying that an 8 year old would have been to young to appreciate and understand what was going on?

If yes, you might be right. But not when it pertains to this 8 year old.

By the time I was 8 or 9 I had gotten rid of my marbles, comic books and blue jeans and moved into, rock and roll records, tight stove pipe shark skin pants and Beatle boots.

I was also focusing hard on how I could procure one of those electric instruments.And believe me, I wasn't alone.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474489461' post='3138417']
What am I missing. I can imagine a 17 year old metal kid looking at live Beatle footage from the mid 60s ,saying " what the hell is this old crap" With no appreciation at all and rightfully so.

Blue
[/quote]
i was a 17 year old metal kid about 17 years ago but i never referred to the beatles as "old crap"

i appreciate what they did for music, even tho i'm not a massive fan of them as band (or individually as it happens) i don't think you had to "be there" to appreciate what they have done to the landscape of music.

The fact that it doesn't actually matter to most people including some musicians shows that nothing lasts forever, even if the fabs hadn't existed I'm sure we'd still have music, I'm not denying it would not be different but the same goes for lots of bands, it might have even been better! :yarr:

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1474533183' post='3138572']

i was a 17 year old metal kid about 17 years ago but i never referred to the beatles as "old crap"

i appreciate what they did for music, even tho i'm not a massive fan of them as band (or individually as it happens) i don't think you had to "be there" to appreciate what they have done to the landscape of music.
[/quote]

Agreed, you can appreciate it but never truly experienced it.

Blue

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1474522472' post='3138509']

[/quote]

I'm with Blue - I think you do get a different perspective from real life experience - however where I disagree with him is how much that counts for - I'm certainly of the view you didn't have to be there - however being there gives an understanding latter day commentators are unlikely to comprehend.

I was 8 or 9 when I experienced Beatlemania at primary school and I wasn't joking when I said Beatles cards were (considered by many primary school kids) to be legal tender - especially the rare ones. I'm talking 63-64 period. There were other bands and artists at the time but the Beatles continued for several years at the same level of public consciousness - which other band had a live screening of a performance of a single release by satellite on prime time tv at a time when there were only just about three tv channels in the UK? Certainly not Mick and Co!!

Their influence on that generation was profound and subsequent generations. It's really quite daft comparing their influence with others - of course there have been loads of influential artists, some more than others - but comparing with the Beatles, whether you like them or not, is really a bit silly (unless you ignore history of course).

Edited by drTStingray