Why become a member? ×

Wot, no new Beatles film and album thread

PaulWarning

on Please Please Me (the song) in the stereo version Paul starts singing the last verse wrong, but on the Mono version it's correct so they must have used different takes, but the story goes they could only get one run through of Twist and Shout because John's voice had about had it, so I'm confused, unless they used the single recording of Please Please Me on the mono LP, perhaps some Beatles expert could enlighten me, definitely Mono and Stereo (of sorts) though,
Edit, mono sounds the best though (IMO)

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1491578380' post='3274126']
on Please Please Me (the song) in the stereo version Paul starts singing the last verse wrong, but on the Mono version it's correct so they must have used different takes, but[b] the story goes they could only get one run through of Twist and Shout because John's voice had about had it, [/b]so I'm confused, unless they used the single recording of Please Please Me on the mono LP, perhaps some Beatles expert could enlighten me, definitely Mono and Stereo (of sorts) though,
[/quote]

I believe that is correct. Knackered at the end of a long recording session. John with shirt off, one chance to nail it, and nail it they did. Still stands out for me, even today, as one of the best "Live" performances they ever did. Its raw and rough and almost primal in intensity. Still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I was only 11 when I first heard it and it was the first song that made me realise music could make you feel 10 feet tall.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1491578380' post='3274126']
[b]on Please Please Me (the song) in the stereo version Paul starts singing the last verse wrong, but on the Mono version it's correct so they must have used different takes,[/b] but the story goes they could only get one run through of Twist and Shout because John's voice had about had it, so I'm confused, unless they used the single recording of Please Please Me on the mono LP, perhaps some Beatles expert could enlighten me, definitely Mono and Stereo (of sorts) though,
[/quote]

The stereo mix was an edit of takes 16, 17 and 18, and contains a vocal error in the final verse, causing Lennon to sing "come on" with a slight laugh. The mix also has a slightly different guitar line by Harrison prior to the final verse.

Read about it on here...
https://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/please-please-me/

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1491607896' post='3274348']
The stereo mix was an edit of takes 16, 17 and 18, and contains a vocal error in the final verse, causing Lennon to sing "come on" with a slight laugh. The mix also has a slightly different guitar line by Harrison prior to the final verse.

Read about it on here...
[url="https://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/please-please-me/"]https://www.beatlesb...ease-please-me/[/url]
[/quote]Cheers, I'd not actually seen this article though I did find one similar after my initial post got me curious, seems like a bit of dogs dinner doesn't it? why use a take where there's a mistake in the vocal line, if stereo meant so little to them why go to all the trouble of using a mish mash of 3 takes? curious

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1491626035' post='3274373']
Cheers, I'd not actually seen this article though I did find one similar after my initial post got me curious, seems like a bit of dogs dinner doesn't it? why use a take where there's a mistake in the vocal line, if stereo meant so little to them why go to all the trouble of using a mish mash of 3 takes? curious
[/quote]

Obviously "They" didnt, It would be Parlophone who wanted the stereo mix.