Why become a member? ×

Doing justice to the sound

BrunoBass

I play a 2eq EBMM Stingray and play pub gigs with my band. I'm currently using a TC BG250/15 which is ok, lightweight and loud enough, but I've never been totally happy with it (see thread http://basschat.co.uk/topic/276521-cant-get-a-good-tone/ )

I want to upgrade soon, and will buy used as pennies are tight, but what's crucial is having something that lets my Stingray speak in its own beautiful voice, instead of the harsh, boomy sound I've tolerated (and unsuccessfully tried to dial out) for the last year and a half.

Can anyone suggest anything appropriate please.

This is a really difficult question to answer - the fact is you need to try stuff out.. You're welcome to come and try some of my backline (RH450/750/Mesa) with my cabs - or take a trip to bassdirect to get an idea of the tone you're looking for.. I'm off to the South bass bash on the 24th where there will be a ton of stuff to try out and people to ask - you're welcome to carshare with me..

The issue with this kind of question is that people are just goign to suggest what they have, which is fine but not the most helpful!

I would say go for separates in any event but is weight or size an issue for you? You can get a very decent sound of more traditional 4x10's & a standard amp for very little money but they are bigger/heavier than the more spendy options.

A quick glance at your current rig would suggest to me that it's a little weedy (or would be too weedy for me); I'd look at a more powerful non-class D head (because they're often cheaper used, not interested in debating their relative effectiveness) then hold out for a nice 2x12 (they're more maneuverable than 410's though often more expensive) - there have been loads pass through the classifieds recently.

Edited by Lw.

What kind of budget are you looking at? There are a couple of 12" Bergantino options if you're feeling flush or an ever dependable Peavey 410 if you're not, in classifieds. Amp wise I'd say the Carvin or the Genz-benz offerings are the pick of the bunch within the first couple of pages.

How long is a piece of string...? :)

Not an entirely facetious comment! I have spent a lot of time and cash over the last couple of years trying different combinations of amps and cabs to try to get the sound that works in my current band. It can be deeply frustrating as often what you [i][b]think[/b][/i] you want (based on reading reviews and other people's recommendations) just doesn't work in a live or rehearsal situation with a particular group of other musicians.

The advantage of buying used though, is that if something doesn't quite tick all of your boxes you can usually move it on fairly easily for pretty much the same as what you paid for it. Even if you lose a few quid, you can just think of it as a cheap hire!

You never know how something is going to sound until you plug it in, and you never know how much of a ballache something is to move around until you actually have to do that at the end of a long gig.

Of course, I could just advise you to use what I use... :D

It's a tough one!
I think Stingrays like a lot of gas in the tank, having a rig that you don't have to crank might be an easy answer.
I use my Stingray through 500w class D into 212's, 210's or 410's and as long as the speakers are decent I haven't had any problems getting things to fall off shelves and walls :)

Paul, here's an offer for you:

If you are playing somewhere between Banbury and Swindon (say Oxford, Chipping Norton etc) and I'm free, I'll bring my amps and cabs for you to play through (see signature but ignore Markbass practice amp!)
PM me if interested.

Also have you thought of going to the SE Bass Bash? You could probably try 20 rigs there with no obligation to buy!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1473288211' post='3128831']
Paul, here's an offer for you:

If you are playing somewhere between Banbury and Swindon (say Oxford, Chipping Norton etc) and I'm free, I'll bring my amps and cabs for you to play through (see signature but ignore Markbass practice amp!)
PM me if interested.

Also have you thought of going to the SE Bass Bash? You could probably try 20 rigs there with no obligation to buy!
[/quote]

Thank you. Will PM tomorrow.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1473254511' post='3128370']
This is a really difficult question to answer - the fact is you need to try stuff out.. You're welcome to come and try some of my backline (RH450/750/Mesa) with my cabs - or take a trip to bassdirect to get an idea of the tone you're looking for.. I'm off to the South bass bash on the 24th where there will be a ton of stuff to try out and people to ask - you're welcome to carshare with me..
[/quote]

Thank you, will PM you tomorrow.

Thank you all for your advice and kind offers. I guess trying lots of amps is the answer, although buying used as I plan to do limits opportunities for this. I was hoping for advice from other Stingray players regarding what they use, so thank you again.

My band plays rock, so my tone is eq'd to cut through the sound of the two humbucker equipped guitarists without treading on each other's toes, frequency wise. I want punch and clarity and I find the inherent sound of my BG250-15 a bit droney (probably the 15" speaker is a contributory factor). Incidentally, the tone of the amp through headphones is perfect.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1473407786' post='3129824']
EBS Gorm combo for sale in Evesham .. Probably worth a try out..

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/269427-ebs-gorm-et-350w-bass-combo-l400"]http://basschat.co.u...bass-combo-l400[/url]
[/quote]

Good call! Without that amp, you'd be Gormless :thank_you:

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1473414605' post='3129944']
I'd suggest something with 10" speakers would probably fit the bill.
[/quote]

Why? Do you think that tens are somehow inherently better than fifteens (or even twelves)? :unsure: If so I'd be interested to hear the reasoning behind that... :)

Edited by Conan