Why become a member? ×

Bass Player wanted. blah blah.

bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1472368184' post='3120551']
Seen various adverts for basses wanted etc. Always makes me laugh. Oh must be between 20 to 30, must play a black pbass, must not wear trainers, must have a stylish haircut. Etc etc, Blah blah. The sort of band I would never be interested in. Where's the, must be able read chord charts, must have good musical communication skills,etc etc. Rant over.
[/quote]

And those bands usually leave the fact that they have no gigs out of the ad. In other words they want something for nothing.

Blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1472379109' post='3120630']
These sorts of ads were common in the Melody Maker in the 60's. And so I guess every decade since.

It seems to be a general requirement that bands need like minded members so this type of ad is one way of achieving that.

Bands always have specific requirements and for some that includes appearance and attitude. I'd like to know that I'm going to fail the physical before I drive 60 miles for the audition.

I just did a gig yesterday where they dictated the shoes. Black ones. . . and trousers etc. . . . it was a wedding and the dress code requirement was entirely appropriate for that gig.
[/quote]

Most bands that are active and making money usually have a few YouTube clips from live shows. It's easy enough to look at a live clip and determine whether or not you would fit the image the band presents.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1472407705' post='3120914']
And those bands usually leave the fact that they have no gigs out of the ad. In other words they want something for nothing.

Blue
[/quote]

What is this statement based on? You use the word "usually". How do you come to this conclusion, id really like to know.

If a band wants a particular dress code this, to me shows they are more serious than bands who just turn up and play gigs all dressed differently and look like they make no effort.
We used to always wear black suites. Ok, thats boring but we often got comments about how smart we looked compared to a lot fo other bands that play at the venue. We looked professionally and not like a bar band.
The band now has a new guitarist who refuses to wear a suit as he doesn't feel its warranted. We now look like a disjointed bar band.

This of course has nothing to do with the music, the playing or the ability of the band members, but you can have image and talent. The two are not mutually exclusive like some comments here make out.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1472409334' post='3120935']

What is this statement based on? You use the word "usually". How do you come to this conclusion, id really like to know.

If a band wants a particular dress code this, to me shows they are more serious than bands who just turn up and play gigs all dressed differently and look like they make no effort.
We used to always wear black suites. Ok, thats boring but we often got comments about how smart we looked compared to a lot fo other bands that play at the venue. We looked professionally and not like a bar band.
The band now has a new guitarist who refuses to wear a suit as he doesn't feel its warranted. We now look like a disjointed bar band.

This of course has nothing to do with the music, the playing or the ability of the band members, but you can have image and talent. The two are not mutually exclusive like some comments here make out.
[/quote]

Dave, it's not uncommon for young new bands to have multiple requirements while having nothing but a dream to offer. I have followed up on some of these ads. The common denominator, very sketchy when you ask about gigs or how they plan to get gigs.

How does a new guitarist even have a voice? I've been in my band for 5 years and I don't shave a say in anything.

I can be replaced easily and bands with paying gigs are hard to find in Milwaukee.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1472414549' post='3120979']
Dave, it's not uncommon for young new bands to have multiple requirements while having nothing but a dream to offer. I have followed up on some of these ads. The common denominator, very sketchy when you ask about gigs or how they plan to get gigs.

How does a new guitarist even have a voice? I've been in my band for 5 years and I don't shave a say in anything.

I can be replaced easily and bands with paying gigs are hard to find in Milwaukee.

Blue
[/quote]

I think 5 years in a band and not having a voice is pretty poor.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1472408743' post='3120928']
Foulds of Derby no longer have their stairway wall of musicians looking/wanted ads. Deep shame. The Internet is just not the same.
[/quote]

You mean "the Beat Board".... still see a few in music shops. Forsyths in Manchester still have a good one.

Blue
[/quote]

If all you are looking for is to make money then so be it, I can understand you not wanting to join a band that's just starting out. That should be made clear by both sides right at the start.
A band just starting out won't be any use to a gigging pro. That's not their fault and shouldn't be put down for it unless they blatantly lie about things.
A band with a vision can go a lot further than a band-playing 3 hour bar sets every weekend. Of course a lot of bands never get out of rehearsals, and that's a real shame, but I would never call a gig less band time wasters based just on not having gigs. Too many bands are formed by a bunch of mates that more or less do what they want in a band, and I think it shows on stage when there has not been any thought put in to the image. Random Tee shirts and jeans don't help you look like pros in my oppinion.

As for my guitarist. The old band split last June, and he was a friend of my drummer, who decided to stay with me and form a new one. He said he would join us so we did a lot of rehearsals (with no gigs booked ;-). Come the first gig and he asked what we were wearing. When suits were mentioned he said that he didn't feel suits were necessary and refused to wear one. As we had done all the rehearsing and had gigs coming up we just went with it.
He really lacks experience on the paying gig circuit, he has just done pubs up until us, so his mentality was not on the same level as ours. We do have another guitarist who is taking his place as the first is out of the country a lot. He does wear a suit and we all look pretty smart on stage.

As for you not having a say after 5 years. Either you don't speak up or they don't value your oppinion. That doesn't sound like a good situation to be in. I firmly believe a good band is a band that works together and all members have a say. My band is like that, although I'm the most pushy so it's normally me that makes suggestions.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1472414966' post='3120983']

I think 5 years in a band and not having a voice is pretty poor.
[/quote]

Depends, I'm not sure I want any say in any band issues.

Our band leader is 30 years old her management style vision and ideas are s lot more contemporary and relevant than mine.

It's not 1971, things are done differently then back in my day.

Sure, I've played a long time and have a lot of experience. But, I'd never argue my experience is particularly relevant to today's bar band management or protocol.

Blue

Edited by blue

A band starting out can be exactly what a gigging pro needs.
All they need to know is the standard is good and the gig pays x.
They won't make this band their top gig and will do it to make up money on a down day.
For sure it will have to be a fun gig but sometimes a gig is a gig to them.
What the band gets, is what they can bring to a party.

Blue
[/quote]

but couldn't this to a degree, depend on how you accepted the gig in the first instance and your input and contribution during your early membership?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1472453057' post='3121128']
A band starting out can be exactly what a gigging pro needs.
All they need to know is the standard is good and the gig pays x.
They won't make this band their top gig and will do it to make up money on a down day.
For sure it will have to be a fun gig but sometimes a gig is a gig to them.
What the band gets, is what they can bring to a party.
[/quote]

If this is in reply to my post, what i meant was a band with no gigs. Really just starting out as in a couple of songs, and trying to get a full band together. I agree with the rest.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1472452835' post='3121126']
I would think I want a say of the types of gigs and everything.
I they canvass my opinion and then we go with a vote then fine.. Otherwise if they just want bass and to shut up then they get a fee for the services and a time I'll be there.
[/quote]

I actually did have a say regarding gigs. I made it clear when I accepted their offer 5 years ago that I don't play freebies.

Blue

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1472458564' post='3121166']

but couldn't this to a degree, depend on how you accepted the gig in the first instance and your input and contribution during your early membership?
[/quote]

I signed on to play bass guitar and sing backing vocals. I did not sign on for management responsibility. We have a BL for that.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1472506097' post='3121729']

I signed on to play bass guitar and sing backing vocals. I did not sign on for management responsibility. We have a BL for that.

Blue
[/quote]

Wow., I've never read anyone say that about being in a band. I suppose if you just turn up, play, get paid and go home, and you are happy with that, then good luck with it.
I can now understand your being replaced comment.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1472507679' post='3121745']

Wow., I've never read anyone say that about being in a band. I suppose if you just turn up, play, get paid and go home, and you are happy with that, then good luck with it.
[/quote]

I'm the same. Tell me what tunes to play. Tell me when the gig is. I'll make suggestions that sometimes get listened to but they're suggestions.

I've spent too many years in too many bands where too many people have had too many opinions.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1472507961' post='3121748']

I'm the same. Tell me what tunes to play. Tell me when the gig is. I'll make suggestions that sometimes get listened to but they're suggestions.

I've spent too many years in too many bands where too many people have had too many opinions.
[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't mean I've not heard of anyone doing this, just never read that someone calls having an opinion "management duties" in a band.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1472507679' post='3121745']

[/quote]

We all show up, we perform, chat with fans and have fun like most bands.

BTW, when your in a band making money there are cats with no work lined up waiting for an opening. We can all be replaced easily, that's reality.

It's worked well for me for the last 5 years. And I don't know if you know that I'm 63 and have no interest whatsoever in band management.

Unlike many, I knew what I was looking for when I joined and these guys had it.

It's why I haven't had to jump from one band to the next being disappointed time after time.

Guys, if your looking for a band have a clear understanding of what you want from a band and the band experience. Ask question and research any band you decide to audition for and ask questions.

For me, I knew I was looking for;

1. An established band with book of business and a history of strong bookings.

2. Honest, rational, stable, intelligent, experienced and trustworthy band members.

3. Local to my home.

Those requirements are crucial for me, not volume, genre or what sings they play.

Make sure it's a match on both sides before you commit.

Oh yeah, one last thing. There's no perfect band.

Toodle Pip

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1472519115' post='3121806']

We all show up, we perform, chat with fans and have fun like most bands.

BTW, when your in a band making money there are cats with no work lined up waiting for an opening. We can all be replaced easily, that's reality.

It's worked well for me for the last 5 years. And I don't know if you know that I'm 63 and have no interest whatsoever in band management.

Unlike many, I knew what I was looking for when I joined and these guys had it.

It's why I haven't had to jump from one band to the next being disappointed time after time.

Guys, if your looking for a band have a clear understanding of what you want from a band and the band experience. Ask question and research any band you decide to audition for and ask questions.

For me, I knew I was looking for;

1. An established band with book of business and a history of strong bookings.

2. Honest, rational, stable, intelligent, experienced and trustworthy band members.

3. Local to my home.

Those requirements are crucial for me, not volume, genre or what sings they play.

Make sure it's a match on both sides before you commit.

Oh yeah, one last thing. There's no perfect band.

Toodle Pip

Blue
[/quote]wise words