Why become a member? ×

The kick up the derrière I needed

bluesparky

Rather sadly, an old friend who was the music teacher at the school I went to (twenty years ago) passed away a couple of weeks ago and the funeral and memorial was a couple of days ago.
He was an incredibly talented and gifted musician and one of the most wonderful men you could ever meet.
I was in a couple of extra curricular jazz bands he ran whilst I was there and after I left and went to uni he left an open invite for years after for me to come along and play when I wanted / could, and the same invite extended to a couple of my closest friends too (guitarist & drummer).
As a result we all became good friends and had many a good time both playing and drinking on various trips, concerts and gigs etc.
When he passed it was clear that after the service there would be a a band playing and then an open jam to all, and in particular his friends and also ex members of the jazz bands that he ran.
I've been pretty busy with life, work and studying over the last 18 months or so and I knew that the last time I played (as in, actually picked up a bass!) was when I did my last grade 8 exam at the start of last year.
As a result I was reluctant to play in front of my (very talented and experienced) peers, some of which I'd not seen in a couple of decades
. I didn't take my bass and I was happy to have a few / lot of drinks and say hello to some faces I'd not seen in a long while
It turns out his daughter (also very musical) had other ideas basically said "dad knew you'd be here and he'd want you to play, so get your arse up there".
I ended up playing for an hour or so, with my close friends and also a few others who I'd not seen in such a long time.
We all ended up having a great time and it was a fitting send off to such a great man.
It's really got me back on my game and reignited my passion for music and playing, I almost feel that I've let myself down by not making time to play for so long, but the amount of fun and joy everyone had that evening both in memory of him and also just by playing too had such an impact on me it made me realise just how much I missed playing and how much I love it.
Therefore, I feel I owe it to myself and also to my old friend to get back on the horse and get out and enjoy myself again, it's been too long!

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1471174688' post='3110967']
Why did you take your grade 8, and then not play again ?
[/quote]
It was actually my third grade 8 (different exam boards).
Very shortly after I took it I started work on a world tour which took me up until the end of last year, we pretty much had no time off for the whole thing.
This year I've been studying something else in every spare minute I have in the evenings and I've either been working or looking after my children during the day.
Then you suddenly realise 18 months has gone past and I've not done the thing I love doing the most - playing.
Time soon goes..